robnplunder

2019 Kyushu Basho Discussion (spoiler alert)

13 minutes ago, serge_gva said:

And why not an absorbent coating around the dojo, as seen for example on the floor of children's playgrounds?

Por Dios, !NO!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

The shimpan would not have the same clear view of the action (they sat at the pillars of old in the past though). The view from the best and better seats would deteriorate and the rikishi would run into the spectators more often. Even if they move the spectators farther away and lose 30% of the really expensive seats, the shimpan and rikishi in waiting would still have to sit there and the kyujo rate among them might double.

All valid points. Thank you. At the very least I think some type of energy absorbent flooring could be put in place around the dohyo. As an engineer, it pains me to see a problem that could be solved (or at least improved) with a little bit of ingenuity. It's a simple problem of the impulse-momentum change theorem - the greater the time over which the collision occurs, the smaller the force acting upon the object. Thus, to minimize the effect of the force on an object involved in a collision, the time of the collision must be increased. Even little increases in the time of collision reduce the force of the impact considerably. 

I think what is really frustrating is that there doesn't seem to be any concern to even have the conversation. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rocks said:

Same, a lot of poise and patience for a 21 year old.

Well, his father always took his time, ending his one-minute standoffs with his beautiful left uwatenage :-) 

Edited by Gospodin

10 hours ago, orandashoho said:

Tochinoshin found Takarafuji's neck.

Where was it?  A good win for Tochinoshin.   I still say his chance of getting back to the Ozeki rank isn't good.

4 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Tomorrow, Aoiyama! That will be a bout not to be missed. I somehow suspect that the very large Bulgarian is going down. We shall see. (Aoiyama - 199 kg and 191 cm, Enho - 98 kg and 168 cm.)

That´s entirely possible. Aoiyama is not quick enough to keep Enho in front of him for long.

• Like 1

4 days over, one career threatening injury and one nasty setback for two young and promising due to seemingly harmless jumps off the dohyo.

Sumotori learn how to fall the right way to not get injured. But they can't use their knowledge, because people are sitting in the way. They harm themselves by trying not to injure people who really shouldn't sit there.

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 1

Day 5 has the makings of another round of multiple upsets:

Abi v. Endo

Daieisho v. Tochinoshin

Mitakeumi v. Okinoumi

Meisei v. Takayasu

Myogiryu v. Hakuho

But the bout that looks like it could go either way is:

Hokutofuji v. Asanoyama

Should be a cracking day of sumo!(Zabutonflying...)

NSK should immediately impose a blanket ban on falling off the dohyo, and make any rikishi who does so forfeit the match.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mannnn. Asanoyama vs Hokutofuji. I can’t wait for that one.

one thing I absolutely love about sumo is that each tournament has different storylines, it’s just not about who wins it. There’s those getting or not getting KK at the very end, Ozekis trying to keep or get back their rank, etc. And in this case it saddens me that the biggest story next to the tourney champion, tochi, is now out.

the good thing is that it is for his health. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kuhne said:

Mannnn. Asanoyama vs Hokutofuji. I can’t wait for that one.

one thing I absolutely love about sumo is that each tournament has different storylines, it’s just not about who wins it. There’s those getting or not getting KK at the very end, Ozekis trying to keep or get back their rank, etc. And in this case it saddens me that the biggest story next to the tourney champion, tochi, is now out.

the good thing is that it is for his health. 

Yes, sumo is all about the storylines. It’s one of the hardest things to convey to people who don’t understand my love for the sport. They see it only at the bout level and miss all the narratives running parallel throughout the tournament: the rising star in his joi debut, the makuuchi rookie, the aging ex-sanyaku who refuses to quit, the guy trying to kachikoshi for the first time in a year, the returnee from injury, the rivalries between ex-college champions, etc, etc, etc.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Enho yusho?!?!

Thought I'd best get that in while I could. Seriously wondering if he might actually cough up a KK, which would be beyond impressive at M-6. He's started strong in most of his makouchi bashos, so it's still early. Tomorrow, Aoiyama! That will be a bout not to be missed.

I don't know what's going to happen. I mean, in all likelihood Aoiyama will attempt a slap or push down, but will it work? Whatever happens, I am here for it!

Good going by Chiyonokuni!

Wow, as much I hate henka, that was a perfect one executed by Chiyoshoma.

Wow x 10!   Enho beats Aoiyama on his own game.  Amazing!

Of course, in another thread, I predicted Enho would never make it to a sanyuku.   At this rate, he may make one as soon as the next basho.

• Like 2

Meisei downed Takayasu in a very fierce oshizumo bout.

Takarafuji makes short work of Takakeisho.

Edited by Otokonoyama

Mitakeumi won't make it to ozeki this year, but his injury so far won't lead to kyujo. Takayasu does not look like he'll make it to the end of the basho though - but 8 wins? Most other sanyaku are as battered as him, if he keeps on, he might barely make it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

Wow x 10!   Enho beats Aoiyama on his own game.  Amazing!

Of course, in another thread, I predicted Enho would never make it to a sanyuku.   At this rate, he may make one as soon as the next basho.

Unlikely. Firstly, they’ll do what they can to get back to just two each of Sekiwake and Komusubi. Then there are just too many competitors for the ranks above Enho, who is only M6. Asanoyama is on course for Tochinoshin’s presumably to-be-vacant Sekiwake slot, while Meisei is looking good for a Komusubi slot. Much can change of course. Mitakeumi might fall back one rank or stay Sekiwake again. Daieisho could make a case for a Komusubi nod as well and Hokutofuji is looking strong to maintain at least his current position. My prediction at the time of writing is Mitakeumi and Asanoyama @ Sekiwake and Hokutofuji and Meisei @ Komusubi. Possibly Daieisho in place of Meisei.

Edited by Eikokurai

10 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

Meisei downed Takayasu in a very fierce oshizumo bout.

Meisei was absolutely ruthless at the finish, targeting Takayasu's bad left arm  The ozeki looked like he was in a lot of pain after the match.

If Daieisho and Meisei keep winning I'll be looking forward to a six-komusubi banzuke in January.

12 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Where was it?  A good win for Tochinoshin.   I still say his chance of getting back to the Ozeki rank isn't good.

You got that right!  Especially now that he has withdrawn from the tournament! (Tearsforming...)

Edited by Amamaniac

17 hours ago, Sue said:
On 13/11/2019 at 10:05, Eikokurai said:

Shodai yusho coming. His terrible performance back in September was all just a cunning plan to fall to a level he knew he could win at in these days of basho chaos. He’s no fool is our Shodai.

Never fear -- Next M9 Shodai will find a way to disappoint everyone in the second half of the basho.

I was convinced that Shodai would emerge from Day 5 as the sole leader in the yusho race, but as noted by #Sue in Toronto, Shodai would and did find a way to disappoint his fans.  The only caveat is that the disappointment came in the first half of the basho... 

Kotoshogiku finally showed that he has not given up completely.  (I'm happy for him.)  But Shodai certainly didn't put up much resistance in that one!

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Kotoshogiku finally showed that he has not given up completely.  (I'm happy for him.)  But Shodai certainly didn't put up much resistance in that one!

Going in, I thought Kotoshogiku's "chest pumping" style has a good chance against "head high" Shodai despite their record so far in the basho.    Kotoshogiku didn't disappoint and finally got his kenshos.     I will root for Shodai's yusho nonetheless.

• Like 1