robnplunder

2019 Kyushu Basho Discussion (spoiler alert)

43 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Well I'm pretty sure such specific re-entry points have been raised before, too, in various guises (bottom juryo, makushita 15, bottom makushita to name the most popular ones). I don't think the notion of outright treating it as the same thing as "makushita tsukedashi" is all that sensible, though.

I always have been in favor of that notion though. A basho in makuuchi should be worth at least as much as a yusho at one of the big 4 amateur tournaments.

On 08/02/2018 at 08:17, Akinomaki said:
On 08/02/2018 at 06:59, Flyric said:

A good compromise would be a reduced drop of rank once / year when injured.

I think the easiest way is to keep the system as it is and simply treat the injured rikishi similar to the new recruits: having been sanyaku within a year before return gives e.g. an ms1 TD qualification, makuuchi ms10, juryo sandanme TD.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Takayasu had no answer for Hokutofuji's attack. His elbow is clearly still bothering him. It's going to be a struggle for him to avoid kanraku. 

• Like 1

Shodai yusho coming. His terrible performance back in September was all just a cunning plan to fall to a level he knew he could win at in these days of basho chaos. He’s no fool is our Shodai.

• Haha 3

Excellent sumo in my terms was performed in day 4. I hope Waka can keep on winning in this superb basho for him till the moment.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2019 at 07:30, Jakusotsu said:

The perfect ending for this crazy year would be a yusho by Wakatakakage.

Curse you, Wheelchair of Doom!  >:-(

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Philioyamfugi said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zzwFgNMUkmY

Terunofuji vs. Shonannoumi Day 4

Easy win, not really sure what to make of it. Just judging by looks and movement, Terunofuji doesn't look too Bad. 

I loved the Sumo displayed today. Quite a few good Matches and two great ones to me. Good stuff. 

Day 4 was a fine day of bouts. Hakuho...wow. Props to Okinoumi. Enho very impressive sumo against Koteoko. Wakatakakage explosive. Happy for Tochinoshin, but didn’t like to see him favoring his side after his bout.

Day 4 Thoughts

1. YAAAAAAAASSS Tochinoshin!

2. When was the last time Aoiyama won while moving forward? I'm so sick and tired of seeing these rikishi fall for his hatakikomi. You know that's all he's gonna try, how are you falling this?!

3. Hakuho looked REALLY tired after that great match with Okinoumi. I mean, he looked worn. I wonder if he makes it all 15 days (I hope!)

4. What would it take for the association to lower the dohyo or cushion the area outside of it?  I know, I know, tradition... but it's not like they never changed aspects about the layout of the dohyo for non-spiritual reasons; They took away the pillars of the tsuriyane so that spectators could see more easily... Sumo is a ceremonial sport packed with ritual and meaning but I think it would be naive to view it not as a business too.... 

An exciting day four with some cool matches. I liked Shohozan's win, but Tochinoshin really brought the goods. Nice to see him using his head in there. I hope he hasn't gone and added another injury to his list.

Hokutofuij looking strong as ****. I remember he came to makuuchi with some hype, and we have seen flashes of brilliance in his sumo here and there. Maybe he's finally got it together?

Peak Hakuho would have made mincemeat of Okinoumi... He got the win, but it was touch and go there for a second. There have been times he started off shaky, then gradually settled into his sumo over the course of the basho. Perhaps this is one of those times. We'll see.

Mitakeumi...just...well, I'll keep cheering for him, like always.

26 minutes ago, nelimw said:

What would it take for the association to lower the dohyo or cushion the area outside of it?  I know, I know, tradition... but it's not like they never changed aspects about the layout of the dohyo for non-spiritual reasons; They took away the pillars of the tsuriyane so that spectators could see more easily... Sumo is a ceremonial sport packed with ritual and meaning but I think it would be naive to view it not as a business too.... 

The shimpan would not have the same clear view of the action (they sat at the pillars of old in the past though). The view from the best and better seats would deteriorate and the rikishi would run into the spectators more often. Even if they move the spectators farther away and lose 30% of the really expensive seats, the shimpan and rikishi in waiting would still have to sit there and the kyujo rate among them might double.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Shodai yusho coming. His terrible performance back in September was all just a cunning plan to fall to a level he knew he could win at in these days of basho chaos. He’s no fool is our Shodai.

Never fear -- Next M9 Shodai will find a way to disappoint everyone in the second half of the basho.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Prior to this tournament, I was hopeful that Mitakeumi would get at least 11, if not 12, wins, thereby forcing the JSA to decide whether or not to promote him to Ozeki.

Today, however, he picked up his second loss, and things are starting to look iffy with regard to getting the number of wins he needs for promotion.  Despite having a big, fat bandage/plaster over his right eyebrow, I seriously doubt that it influenced his performance.  (Does anyone know how many stitches he ended up getting yesterday?). If I didn't know any better, I'd say that he looked mildly concussed.  Let's add chronic traumatic encephalopathy to raised-ring related injuries on the list of dangers facing sumo wrestlers.

I hope he can turn things around tomorrow.  He probably doesn't want to squander this pseudo Ozeki-run, and be stuck at Sekiwake for another year or more...

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

The shimpan would not have the same clear view of the action (they sat at the pillars of old in the past though). The view from the best and better seats would deteriorate and the rikishi would run into the spectators more often. Even if they move the spectators farther away and lose 30% of the really expensive seats, the shimpan and rikishi in waiting would still have to sit there and the kyujo rate among them might double.

The shimpan can sit in dugouts below ground level.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

The shimpan can sit in dugouts below ground level.

I had that scenario at first in my post, adding that the injury by both those who fall into that pit and those in it will be triple severe - but I dropped it for the sake of keeping a rest of credibility in my comments

I’m still thoroughly impressed at how commanding Asanoyama can be. For being a fairly young kid he’s got a lot of talent and a lot of power. I look forward to watching him grow.

Tochinoshin shouldn’t have even let the match get to the point of an emergency throw. It’s Takarafuji for christ sake, I know the man is a defensive God nearly but still he shouldn’t be giving the Bear that much of a problem. It just further underscores Tochinoshins condition. Let’s hope the big man can dig REALLY deep and grab those 10.

I almost enjoy watching Hakuho age. The older he gets the more interesting his bouts get and the more enjoyable and suspenseful they are to watch. No matter what anyone says though, he’s probably one of the most talented and decorated men in sports alive and active currently. I’d like to see anyone else his age try the stuff he does.

As my name describes…I’m a Giku fan of measure. It’s hard watching the Bulldozer slow it down. He’s gone from the Jackrabbit speed to nearly Turtle. I’m hoping he can gambarize in front of his home crowd and at least throw up a Kachi. Love ya big man. Keep fighting strong.

• Like 3

Enho yusho?!?!

Thought I'd best get that in while I could. Seriously wondering if he might actually cough up a KK, which would be beyond impressive at M-6. He's started strong in most of his makouchi bashos, so it's still early. Tomorrow, Aoiyama! That will be a bout not to be missed. I somehow suspect that the very large Bulgarian is going down. We shall see. (Aoiyama - 199 kg and 191 cm, Enho - 98 kg and 168 cm.)

What I really want to know is the story behind Enho's NHK photo. Is that lipstick he's wearing? And my wife thinks he may also have blush on his cheeks, not in the dohyo, just the photo NHK is using.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Prior to this tournament, I was hopeful that Mitakeumi would get at least 11, if not 12, wins, thereby forcing the JSA to decide whether or not to promote him to Ozeki.

Today, however, he picked up his second loss, and things are starting to look iffy with regard to getting the number of wins he needs for promotion.  Despite having a big, fat bandage/plaster over his right eyebrow, I seriously doubt that it influenced his performance.  (Does anyone know how many stitches he ended up getting yesterday?). If I didn't know any better, I'd say that he looked mildly concussed.  Let's add chronic traumatic encephalopathy to raised-ring related injuries on the list of dangers facing sumo wrestlers.

I hope he can turn things around tomorrow.  He probably doesn't want to squander this pseudo Ozeki-run, and be stuck at Sekiwake for another year or more...

Mitakeumi didn't want a head clash on the tachi ai and that cost him the match.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joaoiyama said:

I just hope Wakatakakage is alright, this basho is painfull.

Wakatakakage deserves it. So Explosive, athletic and focused wrestler. Hope he can return to the dohyo.

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

And why not an absorbent coating around the dojo, as seen for example on the floor of children's playgrounds?

• Like 1