robnplunder

2019 Kyushu Basho Discussion (spoiler alert)

I like the poise Asanoyama is bringing. He's only had his one match but he showed confidence and power.
I'm hoping that Tochinoshin figures out whatever is going on with his balance and sumo presence. He's doing an incredible job of getting that favored grip of his but he's crumbling far to easily because of how far forward he's letting himself get. Time will tell.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Giku Squad said:

I'm hoping that Tochinoshin figures out whatever is going on with his balance and sumo presence. He's doing an incredible job of getting that favored grip of his but he's crumbling far to easily because of how far forward he's letting himself get. Time will tell.

A lot of power comes from the ground. If we look closely at Tochinoshin's right foot in the slo-mo replay from day 2, we see he never really plants it firmly. More like half-rolled inward or outward (I forget which). He's treading very gingerly on it when locked up with opponents, so impossible to generate anything resembling his former power. I guess it's probably related to the bum knee.

4 hours ago, Rocks said:

Also, what the heck exactly was Ryuden thinking he was doing against Enho? 

Losing? Actually, I've not watched it yet, but I couldn't help myself here. Ryuden has been pretty solid over the past year or so. Looking forward to watchingDay 2 this evening.

If Enho can go KK this basho, even I will be surprised.That would possibly bump the sub-100 kg rikishi up into sanyaku.

46 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

Meisei has that great tachiai. He reminds me of Myogiryu, who, when he gets it right, is unstoppable from the off. If or when he learns to control himself from there, he will make ozeki for sure. Asanoyama is the next yokozuna. ;)

Fully agree about Meisei being underrated. A bit more size will also help his cause moving forward, but even now he possesses all the skill, speed, and intangibles of a potential Ozeki. 

10 minutes ago, Joaoiyama said:

Meisei has too much swagger and at the same time has a cool demeanor.

Not to mention the best shiko this side of Abi. 

• Like 2

To be a bit of a grouch/party pooper for a moment, is there no such thing as a future/potential lower sanyaku regular or solid upper-maegashira? What is with the constant rush to label specifically as future ozeki everyone who has just even a bit of success near the top of the banzuke, rather than considering the far far more common and lower ranked alternatives? How many times have we been there now...Kotoyuki even got the treatment. 

Meisei won't be an ozeki--someone remember this post and bump it with the laughing reaction if he does get promoted.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

To be a bit of a grouch/party pooper for a moment, is there no such thing as a future/potential lower sanyaku regular or solid upper-maegashira? What is with the constant rush to label specifically as future ozeki everyone who has just even a bit of success near the top of the banzuke, rather than considering the far far more common and lower ranked alternatives? How many times have we been there now...Kotoyuki even got the treatment. 

Meisei won't be an ozeki--someone remember this post and bump it with the laughing reaction if he does get promoted.

You're absolutely right! In fact, I'd go further and ban ALL discussion of ANY sumo-related matters on this forum. ;)

Meisei has the POTENTIAL to get there, as he has the tachiai, fighting spirit and necessary skill set, and especially given the imminent vacuum we are going to see at the top over the next year or so. This comes with the obvious caveat that he avoids injury AND learns some control over his explosive speed. Time will tell. As for Asa, he has the lot. Just needs some seasoning.

(Chasedbythefans...)

Edited by Pandaazuma
  • Like 3

People seem to forget how good Harumafuji was even being so undersized, it's all about the skills and this generation has tons of it, like come on we got about six little guys in makuuchi and the big young guys are very skilled.

I am glad to be born in this generation to follow this era of sumo.

24 minutes ago, Joaoiyama said:

People seem to forget how good Harumafuji was even being so undersized, it's all about the skills and this generation has tons of it, like come on we got about six little guys in makuuchi and the big young guys are very skilled.

Meisei is listed at 120 kilos. He's only 24, so he's sure to gain more weight - and he'll need to if he's going to stay at the top of the makuuchi division. 

Ama started in the top division weighing about 113 kilos, was up to 126 kilos when he changed his shikona to Harumafuji and was promoted to ozeki, and increased to 133 kilos when he was promoted to yokozuna. The extra weight was a big help (and necessary: he would never have made yokozuna at 113) but what made Harumafuji so special was his speed and mobility, his tactical intelligence, and his amazing will to win. There isn't any rikishi in the 15 years I've followed sumo that I miss more.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

The sumodb listing is out of date. He is listed at 179 cm and 147kg here: http://www.sumo.or.jp/EnSumoDataRikishi/profile/3337/

I commented here last basho that he appeared to have put on weight, and it looks like he has.

The other thing he has going for him is his work ethic. Multiple times during the NHK broadcast last basho it was noted that he trained harder than anyone during natsu jungyo, so much so that even his fellow competitors were impressed with his jungyo performance.

Whether or not he becomes Ozeki remains to be seen, but I don't think it's going too far out on a limb to put him on the short list of those with the potential to do so.

• Like 1

My favorite line of the announcer commentary today was in reference to Shohozan ".....trying to slap the taste out of Tsurugishou's mouth". LOL!! Classic...

• Like 2

Well, it's the last honbasho of the decade. I wasn't around for all of it, but doing some research i've found out that out of all the Makuuchi rikishi in Hatsu 2010 (first honbasho of the decade), 8 are still active. This is down from the 9 rikishi still active in Kyushu 2009, that were in makuuchi in Hatsu 2000.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

As for me i wish i knew of Ozumou in the 90s ;-)

• Like 1

Gutted to see Tomokaze go down like that. Hoping for the least severe injury possible and a full recovery. Get well soon.

11 sanyaku rikishi and only 1 has a 2-0 record. Might we be in for another wild basho to close out the decade?

1 minute ago, Tiger Tanaka said:

Gutted to see Tomokaze go down like that. Hoping for the least severe injury possible and a full recovery. Get well soon.

11 sanyaku rikishi and only 1 has a 2-0 record. Might we be in for another wild basho to close out the decade?

I hope so, haven't got to see many and would be a great early memory.

I get the feeling that Hakuho is staying because he wants to see how he'll do against Asanoyama. If he loses to the young gun then he could possibly withdraw

Akiseyama just destroyed half the dohyo with his knee. That was a good match. Monoii overturning gyoji ruling was the right call. Wonder if they'll do anything to shore up the damage to the clay to make sure it lasts for the next 12.5 days.

Takakeisho, despite his 2nd win today, does not look good.  IMO, his strength isn't back.

Tochinoshin got a badly needed win.  

Hak doing his thing ... another yusho run is still intact.  No kyujo, please.

2 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Flawless as usual.

I'd rather seen Tsurugisho win. Poor boy.

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

Konosuke no kachi.

I was fuming at that muppet! He totally destroyed Tsurugisho's concentration. Took over the bout.

• Like 2