robnplunder

2019 Kyushu Basho Discussion (spoiler alert)

19 minutes ago, Morty said:

It looked dislocated, which is super painful but waaaaay better than doing a ligament and much easier to recover from

It depends. In some cases there is additional damage beyond the dislocation, such as broken bones, torn ligaments, damaged nerves or damaged blood vessels which could be pretty serious and extend recovery time as well as affect the strength and stability of the knee post-recovery.

Edited by Otokonoyama
  • Like 1

This was the most effed-up day 2 in a long time. Bonkers. If this is a sign of things to come then the yusho is anyone's guess. But, hey, that's exciting in its own right. We shall see.

42 minutes ago, Morty said:

It looked dislocated, which is super painful but waaaaay better than doing a ligament and much easier to recover from

I hope you’re right.

31 minutes ago, Kyokufuji said:

Uncharacteristic loss, but I don’t think it’s indicative of anything.

I agree. He looked very strong on day 1 and he appears to be in good shape. Momentary lapse of concentration, perhaps. Shows how incredibly difficult it is to do what has been doing so regularly for so many years.

56 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

It depends. In some cases there is additional damage beyond the dislocation, such as broken bones, torn ligaments, damaged nerves or damaged blood vessels which could be pretty serious and extend recovery time as well as affect the strength and stability of the knee post-recovery.

Being a sumo wrestler, it increases the risk of knee injury as knee supports body weight. Hope Tomokaze fully recovered and can unleash his another potential.

I think Takakeishou looked tentative on day 1, and confirmed today, I hope he gets the 8. How about my boy Hokotofuji, great match and win.  Sucks seeing the chair already. Crazy day. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

Yeah, looks like Tomokaze landed on his right leg only when he went off the dohyo, and it was fully straightened when he hit the ground. He crumpled immediately after impact.

This is, of course, impossible, because "no one ever gets injured falling off the dohyo" (TM, NSK).

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

This is, of course, impossible, because "no one ever gets injured falling off the dohyo" (TM, NSK).

Exactly my thoughts. He confused his knee when going airborne, so it twisted itself. Make the dohyo ground level, move the spectators two rows back. Some less tickets to sell, less injuried rikishi, less unannounced visits to the crowd, less squished shinpan. Any argument against making the dohyo ground level is - in my eyes - invalid. The tsuriyane was supported by columns for hundreds of years - one could call it a tradition* - but it was altered into a hanging construction for a better view on the dohyo. Why not break another "tradition" for the sake of the sumotori's health?

*tradition, noun

1. peer pressure from dead people

2. killer-argument in sumo

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Philioyamfugi said:

I think Takakeishou looked tentative on day 1, and confirmed today, I hope he gets the 8. How about my boy Hokotofuji, great match and win.  Sucks seeing the chair already. Crazy day. 

He is far from being cent per cent.

There can't be many rikishi who can say they fought father-and-son sekitori; Chiyonofuji did it against Takanohana/Takahanada, and today Toyonoshima met a Kotonowaka again.

1 hour ago, orandashoho said:

Has anyone captured a video of Ura's tsutaezori? 

Unlikely, since it was Fujinoteru who did it. I'll upload the clip I've got when I do the kimarite statistics after the basho. :-)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

OK. Probably Takakeisho is not at the best, but, everytime I watch Asanoyama I think that he has an incredible unexpressed talent.

Good luck to Tomokaze. I hate that wheelchair (and "that" dohyo…).

The good news is that Ura is back in the business. Good luck man.

1 hour ago, Fede said:

OK. Probably Takakeisho is not at the best, but, everytime I watch Asanoyama I think that he has an incredible unexpressed talent.

Good luck to Tomokaze. I hate that wheelchair (and "that" dohyo…).

The good news is that Ura is back in the business. Good luck man.

In my opinion, Meisei has more talent than Asanonayma, though he is not as strong.

5 hours ago, since_94 said:

I agree. He looked very strong on day 1 and he appears to be in good shape. Momentary lapse of concentration, perhaps. Shows how incredibly difficult it is to do what has been doing so regularly for so many years.

Looked like sort of ring rust - hopefully.

Honestly, I thought Tomokaze straight out broke his leg at first.

I wouldn't read a lot into Hakuho's loss. He needs to get it into his head he isn't as strong as he used to be. He's used to guys just going out of the ring when he flings them and doesn't pay attention to his own body. That isn't true anymore, some recover. He needs to stay vigilant till the guy is out. 

Takakeisho looked fine. Didn't get that good shove off the tach-ai is all. he gets it more often than not.

I can't believe how bad Tochinoshin has been. Well, at least he can say he was an ozeki. 

Also, what the heck exactly was Ryuden thinking he was doing against Enho? 

Edited by Rocks

Only after day 2, it feels like it is now day 9.   

A few more days like this, someone in lower rank may steal the yusho.  

Tsurugisho seems to have come to stay. Great sumo from him in the last basho and also in the first two days of the current one.

• Like 1

2 days in and no-one in sanyaku won both matches on the clay. (Asanoyama is the sole 2-0 representative and that was aided by a fusensho).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

That's just the usual mean Shohozan start - but he the local was maybe fired up extra with this:

Yeah, the little guy doesn't mind mixing up with anyone.   He is a mean son of ....   and I must admit he is starting to grow on me.

2 hours ago, Rocks said:

I wouldn't read a lot into Hakuho's loss

but I wouldn't be surprised to see his kyujo announcement in the morning

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kyokufuji said:

Hakuho seemed to realize that he was going to get knocked from the dohyo as Daieisho wound up his charge. Instead, choosing to continue his backward momentum and step out instead of take any risk of injury.

Typically, he would circle out here, but he was leaning abnormally far back. Uncharacteristic loss, but I don’t think it’s indicative of anything.

Exactly my thoughts. Hakuho knew he was done for and chose to go out on his terms rather than being pushed out. Perhaps seeing Tomokaze being wheeled off just before affected his decision as well. 

• Like 1

Looks good for Asanoyama - he has joined the leaders in the race for most wins of the year, but an even better omen is the total collapse of the top 3 ranks. This is only the 2nd time in the permanent 15 days per basho era since Natsu 1949 that all sekiwake and above still at the basho lost on one day. The last time was day 11 of the Natsu basho - with the 1st yusho of Asanoyama a few days later. Last time there were only 4 left, this time it were 5 plus a fusen loss of another ozeki. https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/11/12/0012869441.shtml

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Looked like Tomokaze's kneecap ended up on the side of his knee, looks bad and is painfull but is not a career threatening if it is so.

Edited by Joaoiyama
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Gabriel said:

In my opinion, Meisei has more talent than Asanonayma, though he is not as strong.

Agreed, either I've missed the hype train or Meisei seems seriously underated. He executed his plan perfectly in not allowing Endo that inner/front grip (forgive my ignorance of terms) that he's been favouring lately, then guiding him out. Great sumo, I'd wager he'll be in the upper ranks for a while. 

21 minutes ago, Houmanumi said:

Agreed, either I've missed the hype train or Meisei seems seriously underated. He executed his plan perfectly in not allowing Endo that inner/front grip (forgive my ignorance of terms) that he's been favouring lately, then guiding him out. Great sumo, I'd wager he'll be in the upper ranks for a while. 

Meisei has that great tachiai. He reminds me of Myogiryu, who, when he gets it right, is unstoppable from the off. If or when he learns to control himself from there, he will make ozeki for sure. Asanoyama is the next yokozuna. ;)

• Like 1