robnplunder

2019 Kyushu Basho Discussion (spoiler alert)

2 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

The angle and leverage of the kachiage is more dangerous and powerfull than the headbutt, the forearm hits the jaw which shakes the brain against the skull causing massive concussions and knockouts while the headbutt at the tachi ai hits the crown of the skull. Both are great weapons that should be encouraged.

It's true that the kachiage in and of itself is far more dangerous than the headbutt. However, kachiages don't occur very often. The headbutt, while far less severe, happens extremely often in a rkishi's career and its long term effects can be much more serious. I'm referring to CTE, a brain injury which has been proven to occur in many American professional football players and can result in dementia in later life. Helmets provide some protection, but not enough to prevent it. I wonder if trauma to the brain is as common in rikishis who have a lot of head to head contact without any sort of protection at all. I would guess that it's far more prevalent than we realize.

I have no idea how the effects of head to head contact in sumo can be reduced. Tradition indicates that any sort of head protection will never be used. Such contact could eventually be banned altogether. The chances of such a rule ever occurring is at least a million to one, maybe more. Meawhile, rikishis will continue to bang their heads together, at possibly great future risk.

Edited by sekitori

10 minutes ago, sekitori said:

I wonder if trauma to the brain is as common in rikishis who have a lot of head to head contact without any sort of protection at all. I would guess that it's far more prevalent than we realize.

Yes.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2019 Sumo finale -- November tournament sum up

Hiro Morita

NHK World Anchor, Play-by-Play Sumo Announcer

This year's final grand sumo tournament took place in Fukuoka from November 10th to November 24th. Fans were anxious to see who would walk away with the coveted Emperor's Cup and finish 2019 on a high note...

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/backstories/770/

• Like 2

Slightly late...very busy here but...

Hakuhōōō kampaaaiiii!!!!

(Bigfish...)(Singingdrunk...)

Senshurako was like "show me some belt game, kid....Yeah....mmm... You got nothing".

Another day another giantfakemacaroon

• Like 1

Hakuho is actually Goro, no wonder he is able to get a grip on everyone :-D

DSC_0390_4_1024x1024.jpg?v=1530195141

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

Terunofuji looking strong picking up his fourth straight win today defeating Sokokurai.

Did they get left behind in Kyushu? ;-)