robnplunder

2019 Kyushu Basho Discussion (spoiler alert)

Recommended Posts

Hakuho playing mind games again...good save by Takakeisho on the tawara. I hope Hakuho quits after the olympics. Yes, what he does is legal, but if you can only hold your ground by playing "dirty"...

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waka announced Enho as the Abema elected MVR(-Rikishi not -Player) of 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the speech for the most wins of the year award for Asanoyama you see a different angle of the term kachikoshi: Asanoyama gets it for the most kachikoshi of the year, wins-losses: so it's for 55-35 = 20 kachikoshi, even though he had 2 makekoshi basho this year.

Edit: the thus all time high of 82 makes that new low of 20 look even more miserable

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Waka announced Enho as the Abema elected MVR(-Rikishi not -Player) of 2019.

Didn't know they even had that. Kinda surprised it wasn't Abi or Asanoyama. Are sanyaku not eligible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Enho scrapes over the kachikoshi line on day 15. Joi debut proper next basho beckons for him. Of course, the lucky bugger doesn’t have to fight Hakuho.

Unless of course there is a ketteisen at the end of the tournament! :-P  I would pay big money to see that!  OMG

Spoiler

OK, who am I kidding?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Didn't know they even had that. Kinda surprised it wasn't Abi or Asanoyama. Are sanyaku not eligible?

I think that's more about popularity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Amamaniac said:
1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Enho scrapes over the kachikoshi line on day 15. Joi debut proper next basho beckons for him. Of course, the lucky bugger doesn’t have to fight Hakuho.

Unless of course there is a ketteisen at the end of the tournament! :-P  I would pay big money to see that!  OMG 

I'd be surprised if Hakuho shows for the next basho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rocks said:
32 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Waka announced Enho as the Abema elected MVR(-Rikishi not -Player) of 2019.

Didn't know they even had that. Kinda surprised it wasn't Abi or Asanoyama. Are sanyaku not eligible?

Could well be a new thing since Waka has only come on board Abema TV this year (if I'm not mistaken).

There were in fact three top choices: (#1) Enho, (#2) Takakeisho, (#3) Asanoyama.  So yes, sanyaku were eligible.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rocks said:

I'd be surprised if Hakuho shows for the next basho.

What, and miss the opportunity to perform as a Japanese citizen in front of the new Reiwa Era emperor?  (Assuming scandal won't prevent an imperial visit in January and assuming Hakuho doesn't get injured on a oshogatsu zoni...).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Amamaniac said:

What, and miss the opportunity to perform as a Japanese citizen in front of the new Reiwa Era emperor?  (Assuming scandal won't prevent an imperial visit in January and assuming Hakuho doesn't get injured on a oshogatsu zoni...).

Oh, that's right. I forgot about the Emperor usually showing for January. He probably will be there then.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

and assuming Hakuho doesn't get injured on a oshogatsu zoni...).

Don't forget the winter jungyo is still coming - 11 opportunities to ruin a rikishi

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on the bolded (although I realize your post is basically praising him, not criticizing him).

To flip it around, how many new Sanyaku rikishi have never has a losing record once reaching that level, and how did they fare in their careers moving forward? (I don't know the answer to this but it would be interesting to see.)

I believe Abi has a legitimate equity for reaching Ozeki, particularly given the current sumo landscape.

Whether he does or not remains to be seen, but as you indicated, he's still only 25, he's added quite a bit of size and strength this year without losing his quickness, and he's been winning throughout his career (4 lower-division yusho). There's no evidence at this point to suggest he won't continue to progress. 

I say - we'll see in 5 years :-) does he have IT? Not sure, maybe so if he improves, still got time to grow. But as of now, I myself don't see it, though for a first visit at this level he definitely performed great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

 

To be more precise: anywhere in the world outside of Japan and allergic to the idea of hinkaku in sumo. And even among them there are some who blame him for the loss of rikishi SNS posting.

I don't think this hurt any hinkaku. It wasn't Hakuhou refusing to acknowledge he lost.I totally disagree wit you on this. I'm a purist, but not THAT much of a purist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


If you missed the Juryo action, today was a really exciting day! I put some playoff bouts in here too.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Highlights of the day for me: Kotoshogiku rolling back the years with some deft footwork and presence of mind against Aoiyama, Takarafuji doing his patient defensive thing against Meisei, Shodai showing his joy at beating Asanoyama and the woman in white top-left of the screen who kept my attention during Hakuho and Takaeisho’s long cuddle. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Benihana said:

They invented a new format to make it less boring? 'nuff said. I'd rather watch old hags playing bowls. (Please take my comments on cricket with a Terutsuyoshi-style pinch of salt, but that game triggers me)

Given the choice between test cricket and sumo it would be a really hard decision but I'd take cricket. I love the fact that in this day and age you can have a game that goes for five days and can still end in a draw 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Morty said:

Given the choice between test cricket and sumo it would be a really hard decision but I'd take cricket. I love the fact that in this day and age you can have a game that goes for five days and can still end in a draw 

Imagine what it must have been like watching sumo before they had the yusho. You’d watch for days on end with no clear winner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Imagine what it must have been like watching sumo before they had the yusho. You’d watch for days on end with no clear winner.

At some point, someone is on course to win then to slip then lose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Imagine what it must have been like watching sumo before they had the yusho. You’d watch for days on end with no clear winner.

Wrestling for the sake of wrestling rather than to win :-). There is joy in movement for the sake of movement. There doesn't always need to be a winner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Morty said:

Wrestling for the sake of wrestling rather than to win :-). There is joy in movement for the sake of movement. There doesn't always need to be a winner.

You are definitely not American.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eikokurai said:

You are definitely not American.

I definitely am not. Did you not ever climb a hill just because it was there and it would be nice to get to the top and look at the view? Same deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Morty said:

I definitely am not. Did you not ever climb a hill just because it was there and it would be nice to get to the top and look at the view? Same deal.

Hey, I’m British. You don’t need to explain the value of calling it a draw and heading for the bar to me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eikokurai said:

Hey, I’m British. You don’t need to explain the value of calling it a draw and heading for the bar to me.

Sorry, I should never assume - I remember we had some sort of similar discussion when the Ashes were on. Apologies. If we ever meet in a bar I'll buy you a pint and we can discuss how good Stokes' innings was and the fact that Australia retained the Ashes anyway ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Morty said:

Sorry, I should never assume - I remember we had some sort of similar discussion when the Ashes were on. Apologies. If we ever meet in a bar I'll buy you a pint and we can discuss how good Stokes' innings was and the fact that Australia retained the Ashes anyway ;)

Hehe. That series was an excellent example of a draw. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Quality wins for Enho over the Ozeki killer Diasho, Kotoyuki over Endo (what !) and Kagayaki over shohozan.  

If Kagayaki really added some grip work and get those hips lower he might be back near the top. Enho did better than most of us thought. Abi is proving me wrong, he's tough to defend against but always on the balls of his feet. Nobody seems to get under his offense. 

Congrats to the GOAT what can you say.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now