robnplunder

2019 Kyushu Basho Discussion (spoiler alert)

Overall a decent day, some surprises but nothing really shocking to me except for Tochinoshin vs Meisei and Endo vs Goeido. Glad to see that Takayasu and Takakeisho are looking strong in the their post injury states, and hopefully they can keep that going. The boss looks like he's in control so far, although this is only day one. We'll have to see how things go from here.

Jumping onto the ozeki promotion conversation, should Tochinoshin somehow get his cards sorted out for the ten wins, I think Mitakeumi will then need 12, plus he'll need to have defeated at least two of the four top rankers active so far.

Before Sunday Endo had Goeido 7-3 in the last ten, plus the last few basho Endo has been a lot more patient during bouts compared to flailing around trying to get things over quick after his knee injury.

To be honest if Endo's body holds up he could be in the sanyaku a lot in the future.

• Like 2

Terrible thing about Goeido injury is I think he would have been DQed on a hair pull if he had won. Wasted effort leading to the injury.  Endo looked very good.  Very sure footed. 

Tochinoshin did not look good, but he didn't look bad either. Just played that match too defensively IMO.

Takayasu looked good but he didn't look solid. I think he will be happy with a KK.

Takakeisho had a great match because of how he won. Showed himself he can still do his sumo and win.

Any reports yet on how the two new Juryo guys are doing? Both are only 20, but have a great record coming up from the bottom. I have great hopes for both of them.

Thing about Takayasu is that he looked totally uninterested in being there before his bout. Didn’t even do his shrug flex and puff thing. I think his chances of winning a basho will go up if he can get himself more fired up for matches. He struck me as looking dispirited and resigned to being an also ran, i.e. Ozeki for life, in terms of his demeanor, if not his sumo. Plus when he looks intense, it gets the crowd on his side. Maybe he’s feeling ill?

Not that there is any shame in being an Ozeki, obviously.

18 minutes ago, since_94 said:

Thing about Takayasu is that he looked totally uninterested in being there before his bout. Didn’t even do his shrug flex and puff thing. I think his chances of winning a basho will go up if he can get himself more fired up for matches. He struck me as looking dispirited and resigned to being an also ran, i.e. Ozeki for life, in terms of his demeanor, if not his sumo. Plus when he looks intense, it gets the crowd on his side. Maybe he’s feeling ill?

Not that there is any shame in being an Ozeki, obviously.

Takayasu always looks disinterested aside from his pre-bout flex. Doesn't mean that he is though. 

It's also possible he isn't doing his usual flex move because of his injury?  

17 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Would Mitakeumui's consistency at Sekiwake count for something?  

In Kisenosato's case, consistency at ozeki meant nothing. In the  five previous bashos before his first yusho, excluding a fairly decent 10-5, he was 13-2, 13-2, 12-3, and 12-3 which were yokozuna-like numbers. However, they did not include a yusho. Their result was his remaining at ozeki. Only when he finally won a yusho was he promoted to yokozuna. I believe that without a yusho, no matter how outstandingly consistent his records continued to be, he would have remained an ozeki. 

18 hours ago, Morty said:

The question is whether the elbow will hold up for the full fifteen (or eight) days? I hope he went straight to the back and iced it.

B-I-N-G-O

22 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

Terunofuji - Day 1

Nice extra shove...

3 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Uh oh, looks like a serious injury for Tomokaze.

And the joi meat grinder takes another victim ...

Yeah, looks like Tomokaze landed on his right leg only when he went off the dohyo, and it was fully straightened when he hit the ground. He crumpled immediately after impact.

1 minute ago, Kaninoyama said:

Uh oh, looks like a serious injury for Tomokaze.

His knee buckled and I think   he is out for the basho.   Dang! 

Some good matches so far.  

This is wackier than Aki.

In the last 11 bouts , all the lowest ranked rikishi won.

Incredible.

Fist time ever I suppose.

Edited by Kotononami
  • Like 2

Hakuho's loss against Daieisho was one of the strangest losses by the GOAT I've seen.  No disrespect for Daieisho's tachiai, but it did seem that Hakuho simply gave up.  Yet another gold star surrendered in only a few visits to the ring.  

How this will impact the Yokozuna going forward in this tournament and in 2020 remains a huge question.  

Hakuho's recent approach to prolonging his career for the sake of the Olympics may be backfiring.  He may well still be on the banzuke a year from now, but will he be able to win another championship?  He seems to have lost his edge, and if he isn't careful, he may not be able to get it back again.  I will reserve judgement until I see how Hakuho reacts to today's upset.

I was watching live with the sound turned down and my first thought was that there had been a late matta. It was that odd. Maybe it was a lack of concentration or perhaps he felt a body part pop and decided to bail out. I haven't seen the slow motion but I didn't see anything from Daieisho that should have caused Hakuho any problems.

Tomokaze’s knee looks ruined, sorry to say. That is a god awful looking bulge on the side of it. He’ll likely be facing a long road back.

Hakuho just lost track of where he was in the dohyo, which is a rare lapse of concentration for him, and ran out of room. His tachiai was solid, but Daiesho’s was even better. Look at the speed of the Maegashira’s footwork in that charge.

The slapfest makes one wonder if there isn’t some bad blood between Shohozan and Tsurugisho. Six shots rang the big guy’s bell, that’s  for sure.

Chiyomaru looking good.

Kotoshogiku and Tochinoshin looking like guys that used to have it, but just don’t have it anymore.

Hokutofuji and Asanoyama both impressive, and along with Meisei, looking like the future.

A more entertaining day of fights than Day 1, imo.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, since_94 said:

The slapfest makes one wonder if there isn’t some bad blood between Shohozan and Tsurugisho. Six shots rang the big guy’s bell, that’s  for sure.

That's just the usual mean Shohozan start - but he the local was maybe fired up extra with this:

8 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

The Goeido bout would have had 6 kensho: 1 kensho was canceled, 3 went to Tsurugisho(-Shohozan)

Edited by Akinomaki

Yutakayama and Kotoshogiku had a good tussle, though I’d like to have seen the former find a quicker way to win. Koto resisted a lot longer than someone with his beat up knees should be allowed.

Tomokaze looks to be in trouble. I hope we’re not seeing another promising rikishi have his career ruined by serious injury.

Great power struggle between Mitakeumi and Hokutofuji. Those sort of bouts are increasingly rare I find, where two big oshi guys grind away without belt grips for an extended period of time and neither gives an inch. 

Asanoyama handled Takakeisho superbly. The Ozeki had nothing once he’d lost control of the centre and was on the bales.

Daieisho gets the kinboshi, though in a fairly undramatic fashion. Hakuho seemed to give up when he still had room to work with.

27 minutes ago, since_94 said:

Tomokaze’s knee looks ruined, sorry to say. That is a god awful looking bulge on the side of it. He’ll likely be facing a long road back.

It looked dislocated, which is super painful but waaaaay better than doing a ligament and much easier to recover from

• Thanks 2

Hakuho seemed to realize that he was going to get knocked from the dohyo as Daieisho wound up his charge. Instead, choosing to continue his backward momentum and step out instead of take any risk of injury.

Typically, he would circle out here, but he was leaning abnormally far back. Uncharacteristic loss, but I don’t think it’s indicative of anything.

• Like 1