robnplunder

2019 Kyushu Basho Discussion (spoiler alert)

1 hour ago, sumojoann said:

I have to agree.  Kotoyuki has always taped his fingers into mittens as long as I have watched him wrestle.  It seems to add greater power to his slaps and nodowa, giving him an unfair advantage.  I'm surprised it hasn't been stopped.

He clearly does it to add stiffness IMO but because there is a legitimate reason to allow rikishi to tape, injuries, it's hard to stop completely. It has been stopped to an extent though. He used to tapes his fingers on both hands all together making it one big lump. Since this would actually not be helpful with an injury, like broken fingers,  it's hard to justify. So now he has the split, taping only 2 together at a time, ending up with the penguin fingers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neonbelly said:

Everyone is free to do it.

The fact almost no one does strongly suggests it is not the advantage people are making it out to be. But I've already been over this and have no desire to retread that tired ground.

29 minutes ago, Dwale said:

The fact almost no one does strongly suggests it is not the advantage people are making it out to be. But I've already been over this and have no desire to retread that tired ground.

I think more people are concerned that it’s dangerous than advantageous. It must feel rather *different* getting whacked with a taped hand.

What is be smacked by a taped hand in comparison to eat 5kgs of chanko with 12 kgs of rice every day for 15 years...Not a healthy sport for sure.

(Carriedawayonastretcher...)

• Like 2

Most wins of the year now will at best equal the all time low of 56 - Asanoyama only leads by 1, Abi could easily finish with the same number in the end. The yusho race will only reopen again if Hakuho gets injured.

5 hours ago, Jabbamaru said:

What is be smacked by a taped hand in comparison to eat 5kgs of chanko with 12 kgs of rice every day for 15 years...Not a healthy sport for sure.

(Carriedawayonastretcher...)

That’s like comparing a broken leg and diabetes. The latter might kill you, but it’s the former that bloody hurts right now.

• Like 2

I didn't expect Takakeisho to be able to compete as well as he has this tournament, but with his 8 wins it looks like he's going to phone in the rest of the tournament. 

17 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

I didn't expect Takakeisho to be able to compete as well as he has this tournament, but with his 8 wins it looks like he's going to phone in the rest of the tournament. 

He got henka'd today, but I don't think phoning it in is in his nature.

He was quoted on the NHK broadcast today as saying something to the effect of:

"I'm not satisfied just with eight wins. My quota as an Ozeki is at least double-digit wins and to be in the yusho hunt at the end."

18 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

To be expected and perfectly sensible. He’s not in the yusho race and ineligible for special prizes, so he should focus on not aggravating his injury.

4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Most wins of the year now will at best equal the all time low of 56 - Asanoyama only leads by 1, Abi could easily finish with the same number in the end

I easily forgot that Abi still has Hakuho, Takakeisho and Mitakeumi to fight - and Asanoyama had all sanyaku already

Yikes. Hakuho’s win over Endo resembled a bar fight.

Ishiura keeps up with the rare kimarite. Today’s special: kirikaeshi vs. Kagayaki. Very nicely done.

Hokutofuji impressive against a charging Meisei.

Shoudai has done well of late by changing gears— moving forward, then pulling, then moving forward again. Seems to be catching opponents off guard.

I understand Ryuden is at seven losses, and that he correctly surmised his best chance to beat Takakeisho was to henka. Still lame, though.

Terutsuyoshi and Ishiura have shown some really excellent sumo this basho. You've gotta hand it to 'em. But who would have thought Asanoyama would lose a grappling match with Mitakeumi? Moreover, why does Mitakeumi keep resorting to it?

• Like 1

I've long had the sense that Hakuho doesn't particularly care for Endo. Not uncommon for him to rough Endo up in their bouts.

After that matta, I had a feeling that Endo was going to get punished. 

Chiyomaru got lucky today. His his left foot stepped out before Sadanoumi landed out. Was I the only one to see that? 

Even though we saw Asanoyama lose, we still go to see how well he can fight someone larger than he is at the bales. Impressive sumo from the kid still, in my opinion. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, nelimw said:

Chiyomaru got lucky today. His his left foot stepped out before Sadanoumi landed out. Was I the only one to see that? 

The dead body rule probably applied here.

Just now, Churaumi said:

The dead body rule probably applied here.

Teach me! What is the dead body rule?

If one wrestler pushes another out of the ring but the other wrestler is airborne, if the pusher steps out first he still wins because the airborne wrestler can’t touch down inside the ring. It is uncommon and very subjective. It’s called “shinitai,” I believe.

Edited by Churaumi

46 minutes ago, Dwale said:

I understand Ryuden is at seven losses, and that he correctly surmised his best chance to beat Takakeisho was to henka. Still lame, though.

Terutsuyoshi and Ishiura have shown some really excellent sumo this basho. You've gotta hand it to 'em. But who would have thought Asanoyama would lose a grappling match with Mitakeumi? Moreover, why does Mitakeumi keep resorting to it?

I guess Mitakeumi's sight is impaired by the damage received, and that limits his oshi ability - to strike properly you need to be able to land, and with only one eye properly working one's depth/distance perception is completely thrown off, meaning the precision when trying to strike is lost. When you grab the belt though, this problem is instantly negated, so... :-) easy choice for him

35 minutes ago, nelimw said:

Chiyomaru was so overwhelming in that bout, he fully deserved that win. Sadanoumi was shinitai for sure 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, maorencze said:

Chiyomaru was so overwhelming in that bout, he fully deserved that win. Sadanoumi was shinitai for sure 

Agreed! Chiyomaru deserved that win through and through. It's just not consistent though. In that Ura match yesterday Ura was clearly in the drivers seat but got overturned because the back of his hand hit the ground a split second before his opponent. 

1 hour ago, since_94 said:

Yikes. Hakuho’s win over Endo resembled a bar fight.

Ishiura keeps up with the rare kimarite. Today’s special: kirikaeshi vs. Kagayaki. Very nicely done.

Hokutofuji impressive against a charging Meisei.

Shoudai has done well of late by changing gears— moving forward, then pulling, then moving forward again. Seems to be catching opponents off guard.

Ishiura seems to have been working on his leg game. I’m guessing he’s seen it work for Enho and decided to take a leaf from his stablemate’s playbook. At least, I don’t recall him going low and reaching for knees and thighs this much in the past. Good to see. His sumo has been one-dimensional (and not in a successful Takakeisho sort of way) for too long.