robnplunder

2019 Kyushu Basho Discussion (spoiler alert)

Tochinoshin almost had Meisei.   The fact that Tochi couldn't finish Meisei off does not bode well for Tochi''s return to Ozeki rank.   

I like Meisei's chance at joining Sanyuku rank soon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Benihana said:

I really don't know. Mitakeumi has 2 bouts vs. Yokozuna, both lost and 2 bouts vs. Ozeki, both won in his run so far. That's 4 Y/O matches in 2 basho. Takakeisho had 10 Y/O bouts in the 2 basho starting his run and won 4, and had a 3-2 in the final basho. They could argue that with these depleted Y/O ranks, a run starting with 9-6 is not what they want to see...but what do i round eyed devil know about what the NSK/YDC-guys are thinking.

Mitakeumi looked strong against Myogiryu.   Perhaps, he will get 13 wins and remove any doubt.   One down, 12 more wins to go ... :-D

Endo just got called a "1 in 100 years [ ] he's just lacking the power"...i don't know.

5 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Endo just got called a "1 in 100 years [ ] he's just lacking the power"...i don't know.

One in 100 years of what?   Whatever it was, it sounds like a gross exaggeration which happens a lot with Japanese young sports prospects.  But I don't have the context.   Anyway, Endo looked good.   So did Takayasu.   So far, there haven't been too many exciting matches or huge upsets.   Let's see if Hokutofuji can change all that.

Over on Abema TV, moto-Wakanohana boldly predicted that Hokutofuji would win the championship in this tournament.

Spoiler

Apparently, Hakuho did not get the memo!

Hokutofuji showed chutzpah against Hakuho back on Day 1 of the Autumn Tournament, but Hakuho, like the GOAT he is, shut him down easily today.  I for one don't think that Hokutofuji is quite ready to be winning any yusho.

Very rare for a guy to beat Hakuho twice in a row I would think. He always keys on the guy he lost to for the next basho.

There has been a lot of uncertainty surrounding Takayasu's physical condition and general ability to win the yusho he so desperately craves.  At least today, he showed us fans that he is in this tournament to win.  He took care of Daieisho pretty handily, and wasn't even wearing a elbow supporter!  That's what I call confidence.

3 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

There has been a lot of uncertainty surrounding Takayasu's physical condition and general ability to win the yusho he so desperately craves.  At least today, he showed us fans that he is in this tournament to win.  He took care of Daieisho pretty handily, and wasn't even wearing a elbow supporter!  That's what I call confidence.

I wouldn't read too much into that. I figured Takayasu was sandbagging a bit but I still don't expect him to do gang busters. He will KK. He was a bit tentative with the left arm till the last shove. He has a very good record against Daieisho.

Edited by Rocks

10 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Over on Abema TV, moto-Wakanohana boldly predicted that Hokutofuji would win the championship in this tournament.

Hide contents

Apparently, Hakuho did not get the memo!

Hokutofuji showed chutzpah against Hakuho back on Day 1 of the Autumn Tournament, but Hakuho, like the GOAT he is, shut him down easily today.  I for one don't think that Hokutofuji is quite ready to be winning any yusho.

I saw the prediction live.   It's only day 1 so that Hokutofujji may still get the yusho ... not!   It's only day one but Takayasu, Mitakeumi, Hak, Endo all looked good enough to finish ahead of Hokutofuji.   My 2 cents.  

3 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

It's only day one but Takayasu, Mitakeumi, Hak, Endo all looked good enough to finish ahead of Hokutofuji.   My 2 cents.  

I'd throw Takakeisho on that list.

While getting nine wins in his last two outings at Maegashira 1 is impressive, Hokutofuji hasn't logged double-digits at the higher ranks in the Top Division.  Once he registers 10+ and/or gets a junyusho runner up result, then we can start talking about championship potential. IMHO

But then again, guys like Asanoyama come more or less out of nowhere and surprise us all with a Top Division yusho.

54 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

The question is whether the elbow will hold up for the full fifteen (or eight) days? I hope he went straight to the back and iced it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Morty said:

The question is whether the elbow will hold up for the full fifteen (or eight) days? I hope he went straight to the back and iced it.

On the NHK broadcast, Mainoumi opined that Takayasu may commit to the same kind of full-blown oshi-zumo he showed today throughout this basho to protect his ailing limb. 

He similarly commented that as an exclusively oshi wrestler, the pec injury he suffered shouldn't affect Takakeisho to the extent it did Kisenosato, as his style of sumo is less reliant on that muscle. 

It's good to see them both get off to a strong start.

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

I'd throw Takakeisho on that list.

While getting nine wins in his last two outings at Maegashira 1 is impressive, Hokutofuji hasn't logged double-digits at the higher ranks in the Top Division.  Once he registers 10+ and/or gets a junyusho runner up result, then we can start talking about championship potential. IMHO

But then again, guys like Asanoyama come more or less out of nowhere and surprise us all with a Top Division yusho.

Takakeisho had a easy win so it was hard for me to gauge his condition.   But, yeah, he'd have a better chance than Hokutofuji.  

Asanoyama .... there are others who had a surprise yusho, starting with Kotoshogiku, then Goeido.   More recently, Tamawashi.   I think they will end their career with one yusho.   Can Asanoyama repeat his yusho effort?   I think he has a chance.   Takakeisho?  I would think he has a good chance.   Will see.

Good first day. No major shocks but some solid sumo. First days are usually fairly slow and I don’t think today was. Stand out bouts would be Tochinoshin’s defeat to Meisei, Endo-Goeido, Takayasu looking more comfortable than expected and down the bottom I thought Yutakayama looked good.

RE: Mitakeumi’s target. I think some of what happens elsewhere will play a part here. If Tochinoshin manages to return to Ozeki, Mitaekumi will need 12. If Takayasu retains his rank, likewise. There’ll be no “need” to promote anyone then. If neither of those happen, I can see Mitakeumi getting the nod with 11 as he’s held his own in the sanyaku for a long time, whereas Takakeisho had not. That’s the difference between them for me. If one of those two conditions occur, I think 12 will probably still be needed, though I think the Takayasu factor weighs more as he’s an Ozeki right now, not an Ozekiwake like Tochinoshin. If that makes sense. I’m firing this off literally as the thoughts go through my head.

Edited by Eikokurai

33 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I think 12 will probably still be needed

In my opinion the opponents he manages to beat will play into it stronger than usual. He has a single-digit record and scored 12-3 in a tournament with heavily depleted Sanyaku ranks (not his fault, but...). I can imagine that 12 wins won´t be enough of he loses against Hakuho and two ozeki.

Edited by Gospodin
correction

4 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Tochinoshin almost had Meisei.   The fact that Tochi couldn't finish Meisei off does not bode well for Tochi''s return to Ozeki rank.   

I like Meisei's chance at joining Sanyuku rank soon. 

That style of bout should have been bread and butter for Tochi, so you can colour me worried about his prospects. Meisei has done nothing but improve and learn since he started as a 15 year old in 2011. He's probably going to MK at this rank but he will rebound as always and I think he will enter sanyaku at some point in 2020. As a Ryukyu islander, Fukuoka is as near as Meisei ever gets to a hometown basho.

8 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

The revised schedule for Day 2 is out, Okinoumi now faces Goeido instead of Kakuryu (among a whole host of changed matchups, obviously).

As we used to say in America, Goeido is the "bargain basement" Kakuryu.

10 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

The revised schedule for Day 2 is out, Okinoumi now faces Goeido instead of Kakuryu (among a whole host of changed matchups, obviously).

That caused the kaobure gonjo 顔触れ言上 to be canceled and Abema only could show the yobidashi sweep the dohyo instead of Inosuke presenting the kaobure torikumi sheets and announce them - less work for him, but  a lot of double work for the one who writes them: the sheets are still to be on display for the next day - I don't know where they put them in Fukuoka though, at the kokugikan on the yobidashi tower outside.

Edited by Akinomaki

Day one went more or less how I thought it was going to go, with one glaring exception: Endo v. Goeido. Not that I didn't think Endo could take that match, I just wasn't expecting such a hard fight.

Alright, Mitakeumi, don't screw this up...

Asanoyama looked completely flawless in his victory over Kakuryu. Simply steamrolled the top yokozuna as if he wasn't even there. Asanoyama yusho for sure. 

• Haha 8

I'll say it ... Abi got a tough opponent in "no neck" Takarafuji . All he got was upper chest no chin, no neck. Takarafuji has one of the best examples of a sumo body lots of muscle and little fat. Hard as a rock I'm sure. Good win for Takarafuji. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

RE: Mitakeumi’s target. I think some of what happens elsewhere will play a part here. If Tochinoshin manages to return to Ozeki, Mitaekumi will need 12. If Takayasu retains his rank, likewise. There’ll be no “need” to promote anyone then. If neither of those happen, I can see Mitakeumi getting the nod with 11 as he’s held his own in the sanyaku for a long time, whereas Takakeisho had not. That’s the difference between them for me. If one of those two conditions occur, I think 12 will probably still be needed, though I think the Takayasu factor weighs more as he’s an Ozeki right now, not an Ozekiwake like Tochinoshin. If that makes sense. I’m firing this off literally as the thoughts go through my head.

My thoughts are that his promotion chances are similar to Goeido when he was in the same position. He was promoted to a 4th Ozeki spot with 32 wins over 3 tournaments. One of which was an 8 - 7.  But he had 2 Jun-yusho's during that time. Mitakeumi has two yusho (one outside of the current run) and less losing records overall while in the titled ranks. Overall I feel they are pretty comparable records. So I feel that his odds of getting promoted with a 32 win record are pretty good as long as there is a 4th ozeki spot open.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Benevolance said:

Asanoyama looked completely flawless in his victory over Kakuryu. Simply steamrolled the top yokozuna as if he wasn't even there. Asanoyama yusho for sure. 

I was surprised that there was no kensho.

:-P

Edited by robnplunder
  • Haha 1