robnplunder

2019 Kyushu Basho Discussion (spoiler alert)

Wow, pretty blatant missed call of a hand touch by the gyoji in the Kyokushuho/Sokokurai match. Wasn't even close. He puts his whole palm to the ground. 

Robocop saw it I think but they let the match go on and Sokokurai won anyway. Do they ever change the winning kimarite later on stuff like that?

I find myself in the unexpected position of cheering for long-serving Sakigake - after almost five years in Makushita he's suddenly in range of a return to Juryo at Mk3e and 3-1, winning his visit today against Gagamaru who looks pretty uninterested and/or knackered these days.

8 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Wow, pretty blatant missed call of a hand touch by the gyoji in the Kyokushuho/Sokokurai match. Wasn't even close. He puts his whole palm to the ground. 

Robocop saw it I think but they let the match go on and Sokokurai won anyway. Do they ever change the winning kimarite later on stuff like that?

If Kyokushuho had won then surely they would have called a mono-ii for a video check (and you're right, it was obvious). Since Sokokurai won anyway, there's no point in checking if he actually won it earlier, so I think the kimarite will stand as the final uwatenage rather than a probable hikiotoshi.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hakuho did the same slap on Meisei, it just didnt land on Takarafuji but it was meant to. He's behaving and fighting without concern for the elders who try censure him.

Anyone else noticed Domo-kun yesterday?

PfIhbTd.jpg

CDIhDR9.jpg

I've always loved Domo-kun. They're actually the first Japanese mascot (not tied to a video game or TV series) I ever remember seeing, way back in the early 2000s.

Also from today, fishing:

jwjj3w0.jpg

And a nice hot bath:

9MlZZlV.jpg

5IaVr9b.jpg

By the way, while this was being shown the super-classic いい湯だな by The Drifters was playing in the background:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gabriel said:

I would request some opinions about Toyonoshima. I Have just been watching sumo for a few months, but It seems to me that, first, he is very fat but looks surprisingly healthy, second, he si a great technician. Thanks.

That pretty much describes him. And if you've only been watching for a few months, you missed him when he was a regular Sanyaku visitor and Joi mainstay.

Like recently retired Aminishiki, his physique belies his tremendous skill. When I first saw him I was flabbergasted that someone built like him could be so good at sumo, but he is that good. 

Unfortunately, a terrible injury threw a wrench in his career, but the fact that he has been able to fight his way back to Sekitori status in his mid thirties speaks to both his skill and his tenacity. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

Hakuho did the same slap on Meisei, it just didnt land on Takarafuji but it was meant to. He's behaving and fighting without concern for the elders who try censure him.

The harite is a legal tactic, but one that the elders for some reason consider to be improper for a yozuna to use. In Hakuho's case, he doesn't use it to cause damage. It's only for distraction and as such, it works well. If you want to see how lethal a single slap to the side of the head can be, check out this match between Kyokudozan and Kushimaumi.

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Terunofuji won again. Good tough match. He actually had to resist some hard twisting and switching his grip and pulled it off. Very good. He had massive crowd support too.

2 minutes ago, Edwardoho said:

what time does juryo normally start? 

are they running behind today?

thanks

Starting now. Maybe 5 minutes late.

• Thanks 1

Not saying they''re the next Ozeki or anything but Akua and Mitoryu are operating at a whole new level then usual this basho.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

That pretty much describes him. And if you've only been watching for a few months, you missed him when he was a regular Sanyaku visitor and Joi mainstay.

Like recently retired Aminishiki, his physique belies his tremendous skill. When I first saw him I was flabbergasted that someone built like him could be so good at sumo, but he is that good. 

Toyonoshima was one of  the first to enter ozumo under the then new relaxed height rule: only for those who could show exceptional athletic abilities

Hakuho has regained some of his popularity: not only several "nippon-ichi" during his dohyo-iri, but also a "dai-yokozuna" - a rare cheer in the yokozuna dohyo-iri. I have to add it to my next comment about those.

• Like 4

Brilliant stuff in the Ishiura-Nishikigi bout. They’ve updated the kimarite to the ultra-rare Mitokorozeme. The last man to do one of those in the top division was Mainoumi in 1993 (and 1992), who coincidentally was commentating on this bout today.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 3

Hilarious first attempt at the tachi-ai by Yutakayama and Enho. The gyoji called it as a matta but it should have been permitted.

Then at the second attempt Enho just runs right at his aite. Hehe. Mind games.

Third attempt was a repeat of the first and the gyoji let it slide, though he did not look happy about it. Everyone was confused. “Oh, we can fight?” Great little scrap.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

FINALLY! Somebody did what everyone should do against Enho. He refuses to perform a real tachi-ai and gets away with it time and time again. Perfect example of why Enho has no business in Sumo.  All Enho ever does is stand up and react at the tach-ai. That isn't sumo. Every rikishi should refuse to engage until he moves forward.

Edited by Rocks
  • Like 1

The first backward going tachi-ai was beyond the imagination of Konosuke and he stopped it due to lack of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rocks said:

FINALLY! Somebody did what everyone should do against Enho. He refuses to perform a real tachi-ai and gets away with it time and time again. Perfect example of why Enho has no business in Sumo.  All Enho ever does is stand up and react at the tach-ai. That isn't sumo. Every rikishi should reuse to engage until he moves forward.

You’re contradicting yourself. Enho has no place in sumo because he just stands up ... and opponents should respond to that ... by doing exactly the same? Why would it be okay for his aite to refuse to engage if it’s not okay for him? You can’t criticize the technique on the one hand and then say it’s okay to use it as a counter to that technique on the other hand.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

You’re contradicting yourself. Enho has no place in sumo because he just stands up ... and opponents should respond to that ... by doing exactly the same? Why would it be okay for his aite to refuse to engage if it’s not okay for him?

Because he's allowed to get away with it.  I'm not saying to it in every match. Just against Enho. 

can anyone confirm takayasu is out? 

Well, they just showed live footage of him leaving for a clinic apparently.

• Sad 1

can anyone confirm takayasu is out? 

NHK broadcast just showed him limping out of the venue, and the announcers confirmed that he is kyujo. 

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Well, they just showed live footage of him leaving for a clinic apparently.

Wut?

5 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Because he's allowed to get away with it.  I'm not saying to it in every match. Just against Enho. 

Again, either a technique is legitimate all the time or none of the time. You can’t have a “just against Enho” exception. If it’s a fair defence against him, it’s fair for him to use it as a defence against other forms of tachiai. Incidentally, even the likes of Hakuho and Asashoryu often stand and absorb without moving forward. Being a “receiver” is actually pretty common. Enho takes it another step but it’s in the same vein. It’s not a requirement that you close your eyes and charge like Kotoshogiku.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 6