robnplunder

2019 Kyushu Basho Discussion (spoiler alert)

Okinoumi has been wrestling well, I feel. He pushed Hakuho quite a way yesterday and obviously Mitakeumi couldn’t deal with him today. I wonder if he can make a case for a sanyaku return now that he’s got the Y/Os out of the way.

Edited by Eikokurai

10 minutes ago, lackmaker said:

I'd say unlikely. The ranks below sekiwake are performing better than Y/O/S so far.

Well, he’s at M1w himself, so there’s only five people between his rank and Sekiwake. He’s faced Mitakeumi, who he beat today, while Tochinoshin is gone and will presumably fall quite a way down the banzuke if he doesn’t return. Endo is at 1-4. The others all seem to be on about the same performance level as Okinoumi. Everyone besides Asanoyama is at 3-2 or 2-3. His fate is in his own hands really. 

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Unlikely. Firstly, they’ll do what they can to get back to just two each of Sekiwake and Komusubi. Then there are just too many competitors for the ranks above Enho, who is only M6. Asanoyama is on course for Tochinoshin’s presumably to-be-vacant Sekiwake slot, while Meisei is looking good for a Komusubi slot. Much can change of course. Mitakeumi might fall back one rank or stay Sekiwake again. Daieisho could make a case for a Komusubi nod as well and Hokutofuji is looking strong to maintain at least his current position. My prediction at the time of writing is Mitakeumi and Asanoyama @ Sekiwake and Hokutofuji and Meisei @ Komusubi. Possibly Daieisho in place of Meisei.

I prefer this earlier analysis

13 minutes ago, lackmaker said:

I prefer this earlier analysis

Hehe. They don’t contradict, they complement. My first post was an analysis, my second a speculation based on having seen Okinoumi’s bout today. I don’t think he will make sanyaku, but I can ponder the possibility of him making a bid for it. You’ll notice that my first post presumes Abi and Endo getting demoted, so I was already making allowances for them performing relatively weakly in coming days. :)

Edited by Eikokurai

Asanoyama is quickly becoming my favorite rikishi now that my favorite is out again... how far will Tochi drop since he's out? What do yall think about a possible retirement from him? 

Nice dancing by Meisei. Takayasu was not able to fiish him and seemed to be sore at the end. Meisei probably needs a bit more of power, but he is a quite versatile fighter.

Enho es small, but turns into a big trouble on the dohyo. In my opinion, he is quite better than his fellow Ishiura.

6 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Mitakeumi won't make it to ozeki this year, but his injury so far won't lead to kyujo.

What injury is he carrying?

What a crazy basho. What can I say?

You have to hand it to Takarafuji, 32 years old and still solid as a rock. He's never amazing, he's got zero flash, but he's out there doing his thing basho after basho. Also, as others have mentioned, he's stronger than he looks. What a workhorse. But I mean that in a good way.

Aoiyama did attempt the slap down, but it was not enough. A really nice win for Enho, and you figure that has to be a confidence boost for him.

I get the feeling we're going to see Asanoyama try his hand at being sekiwake next basho. Meanwhile, Mitakeumi...oh, Mitakeumi... *rubs temples* 

• Like 1

Asanoyama producing Ozeki level sumo this Basho. I'm incredibly impressed with the kid.

Good for Enho working around the man mountain that is Dan.

Mitakeumi continues to disappoint when it comes to an Ozeki promotion on the line.

Takayasu continuing to show us how he wishes to relive the mistakes of Kisenosato...

7 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Wow x 10!   Enho beats Aoiyama on his own game.  Amazing!

Of course, in another thread, I predicted Enho would never make it to a sanyuku.   At this rate, he may make one as soon as the next basho.

Well, I remember that thread... As much of a fan of Enho as I am, I truly thought KK was out of hope's reach at M-6, but here we are on Day 5, still early, but the kid's not only got a KK in his sights, but is currently tied with a pile of other rikishi for the lead in the yusho hunt. Enho ganbatte kudasai! I am not a squealing sujo, but I won't be able to wait to go home this evening and watch NHK highlights. It's definitely video from Kintamayama at my desk over lunch today. I'll have to go back and check, but I think he's only had one MK in makouchi, not bad, regardless of one's size. 

Enho banzai!!!

2 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Enho es small, but turns into a big trouble on the dohyo. In my opinion, he is quite better than his fellow Ishiura.

He has the advantage of a fairly impressive mentor. Ishiura's nothing to scoff at. Strong, fast, tough and an enormous heart. I truly have no idea, but I assume that being in a beya with Hakuho is like having two oyakatas.

I think I must visit a beya on my next Japan trip. Somehow I'm guessing it's impossible to get into Myagino, but I'd gladly bring a special treat for the entire beya...

33 minutes ago, Giku Squad said:

Asanoyama producing Ozeki level sumo this Basho. I'm incredibly impressed with the kid.

Good for Enho working around the man mountain that is Dan.

Mitakeumi continues to disappoint when it comes to an Ozeki promotion on the line.

Takayasu continuing to show us how he wishes to relive the mistakes of Kisenosato...

I think Asanoyama is not as good as others say, but this is only my opinion. Of course, he is very strong, but I do not see him as an Ozeki, but perhaps I am wrong.

1 minute ago, Gabriel said:

I think Asanoyama is not as good as others say, but this is only my opinion. Of course, he is very strong, but I do not see him as an Ozeki, but perhaps I am wrong.

He’s a future Yokozuna once the old guard retire. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

He’s a future Yokozuna once the old guard retire. 

We will see. If that is the case, I will congratulate you.

• Like 1

After learning that Tochinoshin had withdrawn with a fractured right rib, I went back to review the footage of his bout against Takarafuji on Day 4.  Watching him immediately after the bout, he was definitely sore on the lower right side of his rib cage, repeatedly pressing his hand on the area, and glancing down to see if he could see what the problem was.  That was a clear sign that something wasn't right.

The mysterious thing is that during the bout, there didn't seem to be any major contact from Takarafuji on that part of Tochinoshin's body, even at the tachiai.  It was a mawashi battle from start to finish.  That leads me to conclude that Tochinoshin snapped a rib through sheer muscular exertion in the execution of his winning technique: kubihineri.  Is that even possible?!!!

5 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

That leads me to conclude that Tochinoshin snapped a rib through sheer muscular exertion in the execution of his winning technique: kubihineri.  Is that even possible?!!!

Or that the rib was already damaged and the exertion aggravated it.

1 hour ago, ryafuji said:

What injury is he carrying?

Only this one with the stitches from day 3 - he has lost quite amount of power due to it. As I said, it won't lead to kyujo, but it could facilitate another injury which would

20191112-OHT1I50200-N.jpgo 201911130000714-w200_1.jpgo

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Perhaps, but look at his sturdiness on the clay. He has extremely good foot work, he doesn't let himself get to high, he has a solid Yotsu game. Now, maybe you're right because we haven't seen much in the form of anything else from him, but I think at his age with the talent he already possesses that we might see a future Ozeki from him. Maybe 2021?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

After learning that Tochinoshin had withdrawn with a fractured right rib, I went back to review the footage of his bout against Takarafuji on Day 4.  Watching him immediately after the bout, he was definitely sore on the lower right side of his rib cage, repeatedly pressing his hand on the area, and glancing down to see if he could see what the problem was.  That was a clear sign that something wasn't right.

The mysterious thing is that during the bout, there didn't seem to be any major contact from Takarafuji on that part of Tochinoshin's body, even at the tachiai.  It was a mawashi battle from start to finish.  That leads me to conclude that Tochinoshin snapped a rib through sheer muscular exertion in the execution of his winning technique: kubihineri.  Is that even possible?!!!

It could either have been from the sheer amount of torsion used in the throw, it might have been when he landed (it looks like he lands on his own fist and slams it into his ribs). At the end of it all he ended up fracturing his cartilage or however the medical certificate is worded. I'm a strong believer in that he injured himself in the throw, possibly by flexing and then turning so hard to the point that he damaged himself.

• Thanks 1

Tochinoshin's injury which is a rib cartilage fracture can occur even with a strong sneeze or cough, it's a matter of body position when the tension or torsion is released. Painfull and unlucky but not serious, heals in about a month or so without need of surgery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Totally agree with yoy have said. I think that is very possible when you handle with such mass.

19 minutes ago, Giku Squad said:

Perhaps, but look at his sturdiness on the clay. He has extremely good foot work, he doesn't let himself get to high, he has a solid Yotsu game. Now, maybe you're right because we haven't seen much in the form of anything else from him, but I think at his age with the talent he already possesses that we might see a future Ozeki from him. Maybe 2021?

In this point, my coins are on Hoshoriu, the nephew of Ashasoriu. I think he is going to go high. Just my opinion, of course.