Sign in to follow this  
Randomitsuki

Potential inclusion of The Underdog Game (TUG) on the Superbanzuke

Possible inclusion of TUG on the Superbanzuke  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about including TUG (The Underdog Game) on the Superbanzuke?

• I am playing TUG already. So yeah, why not?
    • I don't play TUG at the moment, but I would seriously consider playing it if it were part of the Superbanzuke.
    • I would probably not participate in TUG, whether it is on the Superbanzuke or not.

Hiya sumo gamers,

about one year ago we had some discussions about including TUG on the Superbanzuke. This suggestion was renewed repeatedly by Achiyama, and was also backed up by Jejima in a mail to me a few days ago. Now with the looming "Fexit" (Fantasy Sumo Exit), there would indeed be a great opportunity to keep the number of Superbanzuke games constant by including TUG.

When we discussed this a year ago, I brought up the idea to do a poll about this question. As nobody set up such a poll, I have now created it myself.

I would also be interested if others weighed in the discussion about pros and cons of such a move.

Thanks for participating.

I will make a decision before Hatsu Basho 2020. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't have "I play TUG regularly but I don't want it to be part of Super Banzuke".

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Ganzohnesushi said:

Also missing " I don't play TUG and I don't want it to be part of SB".

Ganzohnesushi

I suppose option 3 covers this one. ;)

3 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

Absolutely needs to be automated before inclusion. 

I would agree this is a minimum.  Also, no joining after Day 1.

I play the game, and like it, and would lean toward inclusion. But, there is one big caveat for me. The game can be seriously effected by an injured rikishi causing picking to become rote.  If there is a kadoban ozeki with an injury he will give up a lot of points for Days and everyone is going to pick against him. This is a factor in other daily games but in most it's mitigated. In Toto it's just 1 of 42. In Quad it's 1 of 4, picking against him and being wrong will cost you 1 or 4 and a good chance of getting a win that day. In TTT someone on a losing streak is not likely to be a good pick for loser to win and he's not likely to face other losers till late by which time he' gone kyujo anyway. In Odd it's 1 of 3 at best. In Chain being wrong puts you out. In TUG being wrong just costs you a days points and you move on. It's likely most of the field was wrong with you.  This is not any fault of the game itself and I don't really see any way to fix that. But it's a factor in desire to play I think.

11 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

I suppose option 3 covers this one. ;)

No, this is not what I mean. I tried TUG once or twice at the very beginning of this game but somehow it didn't attract me. If it now becomes part of SB I'm forced somehow to play it. That's the simple reason why I don't want this game become part of SB.

Ganzohnesushi

Yes, it needs to be automated. This and ISP are my favorite games. Quick and thrilling.

7 hours ago, Ganzohnesushi said:

No, this is not what I mean. I tried TUG once or twice at the very beginning of this game but somehow it didn't attract me. If it now becomes part of SB I'm forced somehow to play it. That's the simple reason why I don't want this game become part of SB.

Ganzohnesushi

You are not forced to play it at all. Even if it became part of SB, I personally would never play it.

the number of 20 sb games is perfect.

if TUG is included, another game needs to be kicked out...

I like TUG, but it needs automation. Achiyama is doing a fantastic job, but if he‘s not around, is there a back-up ?

plus TUG banzuke needs to start from stretch.

Personally i think at least 60% of current sb sekitori (that‘s 42 players) should be in favor of this decision, before implementation.

15 hours ago, Andonishiki said:

the number of 20 sb games is perfect.

if TUG is included, another game needs to be kicked out...

Fantasy Sumo is pining for fjords. 

I think TUG deserves to be on the Super Banzuke, whether or not it is fully automated (it is semi-automated at the moment.)

It is significantly different to other games. Strategy / risk is involved in the picks - and it is quick to enter (a big plus for me, these days.)

I will be sad to say goodbye to Fantasy Sumo (if it does go - but surely this is a game that can easily be adopted and automated by someone else?) - but it is quite similar to RotoSumo which we will still have....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jejima said:

it is semi-automated at the moment

How so? I don't see any kind of automation, not even semi.

If you mean the Survey Monkey entry forms, they have to be assembled and evaluated manually by Achiyama each day.

Edited by Jakusotsu
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jejima said:

I will be sad to say goodbye to Fantasy Sumo (if it does go - but surely this is a game that can easily be adopted and automated by someone else?) - but it is quite similar to RotoSumo which we will still have....

My general misgivings about the state Sumotalk has descended to over the past few years aside, I wouldn't see the point in trying to keep FS alive away from it. A major part of its appeal is that it reaches out to a different crowd than just us usual sumo gaming suspects.

14 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

My general misgivings about the state Sumotalk has descended to over the past few years aside, I wouldn't see the point in trying to keep FS alive away from it. A major part of its appeal is that it reaches out to a different crowd than just us usual sumo gaming suspects.

In that case, wouldn't replacing FS with one of the games on Reddit be more appropriate? 

Kachiclash seems automated and has 131 players at the moment...

I don't play it so I can't how similar it is to other games, but I guess something is probably similar.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

In that case, wouldn't replacing FS with one of the games on Reddit be more appropriate? 

Kachiclash seems automated and has 131 players at the moment...

I don't play it so I can't how similar it is to other games, but I guess something is probably similar.

At first sight, Kachiclash looks 99% the same as Fantasy Sumo. Picking 1 riskishi among a group of rikishi in a banzuke section (Y+O, S+K, M1-5, ...) and scoring 1 point per win.

I don't recognize any names in the top scorers this basho (after day 3 when I looked), so I don't know if there is a large overlap between their player pool and the SB usual suspects.

Just checked Kachiclash. This Game is more like the former SB Game GISP which was run until 2007 or so. Older gamers might remember. 

Ganzohnesushi

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the inclusion of TUG on the Superbanzuke. As much as I admire the dedication and hard labor that Achiyama puts into the maintenance of TUG, several sumo gamers (among them several hardcore gamers) have pointed out that it is that same hard maintenance work which doesn't turn TUG into a Superbanzuke prospect. The fact that the game is not automated and the burden of maintenance exclusively rests on Achiyama's shoulders really could pose a problem. What if Achiyama is not available for investing time in updates/banzuke making etc.? There is only one other game on the Superbanzuke that is not automated (Tippspiel), but it builds on a larger group of volunteers who serve as daily gyoji, and there can always be substitute gyoji to be called upon on short notice. Unfortunately, that is not the case with TUG at the moment. Therefore, I am sorry to say that I have decided against inclusion at the current moment.

I think that there are two paths leading out of this predicament. First, if TUG has such a loyal fan-base, maybe one of its players has the skills to automate the game. Second, and again, if there is a loyal fan-base, maybe a way could be found that other gamers can support Achiyama in the daily chores of maintenance (provided that he is willing to share the task with others). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 09/11/2019 at 14:20, Pandaazuma said:

Even if it became part of SB, I personally would never play it.

Yes, this is personal, resulting from an argument between us when I was refiyojing during the last Bench World Cup (analogical game to Bench Sumo during the World Soccer Cup created by Jejima).

i sent you my apology via PM and e-mail, but you didn’t even bother to reply.

It was your decision to stop playing TUG, although you were one of the best gamers playing the game with 2 Yusho, and I respect your decision.

Edited by Achiyama

Btw, I'm wondering why Nekonishiki's great Yoso game never was part of the discussion around becoming SB Game. It is unique as it covers different aspects of all Sekitori. For me it is one of the best pre-basho games existing. Those of you who are not aware of this game should give it a try... http://www.szumo.hu/jatek/yoso/index.html

Ganzohnesushi

1 hour ago, Ganzohnesushi said:

Btw, I'm wondering why Nekonishiki's great Yoso game never was part of the discussion around becoming SB Game. It is unique as it covers different aspects of all Sekitori. For me it is one of the best pre-basho games existing. Those of you who are not aware of this game should give it a try... http://www.szumo.hu/jatek/yoso/index.html

Ganzohnesushi

Maybe because it still doesn't have enough players? I think I read somewhere that one of the criteria to be part of SB is to have on regular basis more than 40 players.

1 hour ago, Athenayama said:

Maybe because it still doesn't have enough players? I think I read somewhere that one of the criteria to be part of SB is to have on regular basis more than 40 players.

There was a time when it had even 70+ players in the past, criteria then were 70+ players... My first rank on Yoso Banzuke was ms5e!

Ganzohnesushi

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ganzohnesushi said:

There was a time when it had even 70+ players in the past, criteria then were 70+ players... My first rank on Yoso Banzuke was ms5e!

I see. My experience in sumo games is of course limited (less than 2 years). Probably some more experienced players would have a better explanation.

Also  missing fromi the optionsI is "I am the rijicho for TUG and if  it does join the the super bannzuke l will run round the room shouting Whoopee!!!!!""

• Haha 1