Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Kensho Kyushu 2019

Takakeisho is top in personal kensho with 161, the only to have triple digits. 2 each  day are from Yakult, the only new sponsor this basho. Last year Kyushu when he won the yusho he had a total of 30 fixed kensho on his bouts. No 2 is Mitakeumi with 98, then Kotoshogiku with 84. The total number of kensho applied for is as of today 1456, 13 less than what was reported last year before the basho. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201911080000672.html

Edit: Sponichi the next morning reports now 166 for Takakeisho

Because Nikkan had messed up the Aki banzuke data, I can't calculate the total for last basho and instead give the total kensho ranking for  this year before the start of the basho

905   Kakuryu
801   Hakuho
786   Goeido
735   Takakeisho
651   Mitakeumi
607   Takayasu
412   Endo
323   Abi
305   Asanoyama
265   Kotoshogiku
249   Ryuden
244   Tochinoshin
243   Tamawashi
195   Myogiryu
195   Hokutofuji
158   Aoiyama
157   Ichinojo
157   Daieisho
140   Shodai
136   Shohozan
128   Chiyotairyu
126   Tomokaze
98   Takarafuji
93   Onosho
89   Kotoyuki
88   Kagayaki
85   Okinoumi
82   Sadanoumi
74   Enho
69   Nishikigi
62   Yutakayama
62   Meisei
49   Terutsuyoshi
44   Kotoeko
43   Shimanoumi
33   Tsurugisho
27   Daishoho
24   Ishiura
21   Chiyomaru
5   Takanosho
3   Wakatakakage
3   Daishomaru
Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

After quite a while Hakuho again on the top  - he was lucky to have enough kensho for the last bout get distributed to his new last bout. Kensho favorite Takakeisho only had Okinoumi, so Endo in the last ozeki bout could profit - maybe also from more redistributed kensho. Kyushu local Sadanoumi had local kensho favorite Kotoshigiku, which was worth more than Myogiryu with his 1 fixed kensho for Mitakeumi. Enho is still not worth much to the sponsors - Tsurugisho not on the list means he only had 1.

Day 1

19:    Hakuho
15:    Takakeisho
15:    Endo
9:    Sadanoumi
7:    Mitakeumi
6:    Takayasu
5:    Takarafuji
4:    Ryuden
4:    Shodai
2:    Meisei
2:    Aoiyama
2:    Chiyomaru
Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

After quite a while Hakuho again on the top  - he was lucky to have enough kensho for the last bout get distributed to his new last bout. Kensho favorite Takakeisho only had Okinoumi, so Endo in the last ozeki bout could profit - maybe also from more redistributed kensho.

Confirmed: 11 of the 19 kensho for Hakuho were from the Kakuryu bout. 5 were canceled, the (unspecified) rest went to Endo and Takayasu. http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20191110/sum19111016040004-n1.html

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Enho is still not worth much to the sponsors - Tsurugisho not on the list means he only had 1.

Yes, a very lonely one. It was carried by a skinny little kid that looked about 15. I think he was taller than Enho though.

The last bout and only 13 kensho for a win against Hahuho - only 1 more than the win against Takakeisho was worth - and also Takayasu in the last ozeki bout was not far behind.

Day 2

19:    Hakuho
15:    Takakeisho
13:    Daieisho
12:    Asanoyama
10:    Sadanoumi
10:    Abi
8:    Hokutofuji
7:    Meisei
7:    Yutakayama
7:    Mitakeumi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 3

33:    Hakuho
30:    Takakeisho
13:    Mitakeumi
13:    Daieisho
12:    Asanoyama
11:    Takayasu
10:    Sadanoumi
10:    Myogiryu
10:    Abi
  • Like 1

Day 4

45:    Hakuho
45:    Takakeisho
20:    Daieisho
15:    Hokutofuji
14:    Shohozan
14:    Asanoyama
13:    Mitakeumi
12:    Sadanoumi
12:    Kotoyuki
12:    Meisei
  • Like 2

The disparity between Tokyo-based honbasho and regional ones in terms of kensho is pretty evident in Kyushu.  Take the top two kensho hauls on Day 4 of the last three tournaments:

Summer (Tokyo): Kakuryu 129; Takakeisho 96

Nagoya: Kakuryu 69; Hakuho 62

Autumn (Tokyo): Kakuryu 134; Takakeisho 73

Comparatively speaking, the 45 kensho for both Hakuho and Takakeisho here in Kyushu is pretty d#$n dismal!

Day 5

60:    Hakuho
18:    Abi
18:    Takarafuji
17:    Meisei
15:    Hokutofuji
15:    Asanoyama
14:    Shohozan
  • Like 1

Second day in a row that Enho won, but there were no kensho to take home.  Despite there being a Kyushu koenkai for his stable, he doesn't seem  to be able to attract any local sponsors ... yet.

26 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Second day in a row that Enho won, but there were no kensho to take home.  Despite there being a Kyushu koenkai for his stable, he doesn't seem  to be able to attract any local sponsors ... yet.

Sponsors might like their charges to have a promising future, and Enho's career may be cut short by a debilitating injury at any time now... but amazingly, he is defying all odds.
As long as he fights rikishi who haven't met him often enough to develop a winning strategy against him, he will do well. Longer if he can truly become the new 'waza no depato' capable of surprising his opponents with unusual techniques and unreadable strategies.
I definitely root for him. He is a joy to watch. I hope he'll continue defying the odds and become a Makuuchi mainstay.

7 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

Sponsors might like their charges to have a promising future, and Enho's career may be cut short by a debilitating injury at any time now...

Sponsors should be looking at which Top Division wrestlers are attracting the most attention.  Enho fits that bill in spades.  But then I'm not a businessman who is looking for ways to attract business.

7 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:
17 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

Sponsors might like their charges to have a promising future, and Enho's career may be cut short by a debilitating injury at any time now...

Sponsors should be looking at which Top Division wrestlers are attracting the most attention.  Enho fits that bill in spades.  But then I'm not a businessman who is looking for ways to attract business.

Perhaps we should revive the idea of Forum members joining in a sponsor group then, and set one kensho each day on Enho's bouts. 
If the group has enough members, that shouldn't be too expensive.

Edited by orandashoho

6 minutes ago, orandashoho said:
14 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:
24 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

Perhaps we should revive the idea of Forum members joining in a sponsor group then, and set one kensho each day on Enho's bouts. 

As in the past, the idea is really intriguing.  Not sure if there has ever been a grass-roots, group kensho sponsor.  However, I'm not convinced that the Forum could or would be able to arrange it.  

But it's a nice thought, and it's the thought that counts.  (Signofapproval...)

11 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

if 100 take part, it's still not just a trifle

On 05/09/2019 at 20:33, Akinomaki said:

about 1.1 million yen: about 60 000 yen for the banner and 15 times now 70 000 yen for one kensho each day.

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Depends on the sponsors. Sports sponsors are usually looking for 2 things. Wins, a lot. And Big and strong. Neither of which is Enho. 

He wins, but never in a dominating fashion. Most of the time it's hard to determine if he won because of something he did or because of something his opponent didn't do. 

A lot of sponsors are food and beverage companies. You can't sell a product with a slogan "Eat X and be big and strong like Enho!" because Enho is nether big nor particularly strong, especially in relation to his peers. If you have him at a product launch it's likely half the room will be taller than him. That doesn't look great in the newspapers or on TV. It doesn't help that he's vocal about disliking thing,  like white rice. Imagine being an athlete in Japan and saying  you don't like rice.  If he has an agent he must have had a heart attack hearing that. 

I doubt he'll ever get many consistent sponsors. If he does it will probably be for things like cars or other items guys buy to look cool despite their shortcomings.

For women, the ability to attract  attention can lead to significant pay days. For men, not as much. 

3 hours ago, Rocks said:

Depends on the sponsors. Sports sponsors are usually looking for 2 things. Wins, a lot. And Big and strong. Neither of which is Enho. 

I suppose you are right, although wee Enho deserves more sponsorship than he is getting IMHO.  

While Enho is pretty new to the Top Division, I think he would be great advertising vehicle.  I remember watching all the kensho on Takamisakari's bouts back when I started following sumo, and he wasn't all that big or all that strong (relatively speaking), so aside from his corner antics and walk down the hanamichi, I couldn't figure out why he was getting all the sponsorship/attention that he did.

56 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I suppose you are right, although wee Enho deserves more sponsorship than he is getting IMHO.  

While Enho is pretty new to the Top Division, I think he would be great advertising vehicle.  I remember watching all the kensho on Takamisakari's bouts back when I started following sumo, and he wasn't all that big or all that strong (relatively speaking), so aside from his corner antics and walk down the hanamichi, I couldn't figure out why he was getting all the sponsorship/attention that he did.

I'm not suggesting Enho couldn't get a lot of sponsors. Having a great personality or gimmick a goes a long way. Enho can  to do the same. Similar to Ikioi and singing. Look what Kotoshogiku did for himself. Yes, he became Ozeki but his popularity and steadfast sponsors don't really stem from that. 

19 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

if 100 take part, it's still not just a trifle

about 1.1 million yen: about 60 000 yen for the banner and 15 times now 70 000 yen for one kensho each day.

If there were 100 to share that cost, I'd join. And do this for more than one basho. With 100 or more joining, it's still a fraction of what physical attendance would cost me. 

Why would I be the only one who is seriously interested? We could start a poll. 

Day 6

72:    Hakuho
25:    Takarafuji
22:    Abi
22:    Endo
21:    Myogiryu
18:    Hokutofuji
17:    Meisei
17:    Tamawashi
  • Like 1

Day 7

91:    Hakuho
61:    Takakeisho
34:    Endo
25:    Abi
22:    Takayasu
22:    Mitakeumi
21:    Daieisho
18:    Hokutofuji
  • Like 1

Asanoyama still not back in the rankings - he also has not much sponsor support yet

Day 8

113:    Hakuho
73:    Takakeisho
39:    Endo
30:    Mitakeumi
25:    Abi
23:    Shohozan
22:    Daieisho
21:    Kagayaki
Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Takayasu today was the rare case of a rikishi who appears in the dohyo-iri and then goes kyujo for his bout of the day. It was so sudden that no kensho could be redistributed and all 12 were canceled. http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20191117/sum19111721110014-n1.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Daieisho still on the list, komusubi Asanoyama still not - even Kagayaki has more

Day 9

130:    Hakuho
86:    Takakeisho
41:    Mitakeumi
39:    Endo
30:    Abi
28:    Shohozan
23:    Kagayaki
22:    Daieisho
  • Like 1