Akinomaki

Abi and Wakamotoharu - SNS banned

39 minutes ago, just_some_guy said:

THIS will be what finally revives Myspace!

What better social media platform to accommodate large men than one with that name?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

The question is: will the next rikishi who posts on his (not yet deleted) twitter account be suspended, and because there are higher standards for a yokozuna, Hakuho forced to retire ?

So Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LINE and TikTok are banned - and what about the Ameba=Abema blogs? Does the NSK know at least a little bit what they are doing?

They want to be the only one to provide sumo on SNS.

Do they want to get rid of the sujo fan-base? The sujo brought the revival of sumo popularity among the general population, they may go (Shiranogunto).

Sounds like the NSK has been on a study trip to China and learned something from the CCP.

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2019 at 19:16, Akinomaki said:

Shibatayama: "At least till guidance at a training course, at present a ban."

This SNS guidance is planned for the next NSK members' customary course week against violence, from Feb. 4th till the 7th. Shibatayama: "Till then a ban. But this doesn't mean that after guidance it at once is OK again (to post)." http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201911280000442.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arashio beya is still posting cat pics on Instagram, so my world continues to turn.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In the wake of the SNS incident involving Abi and Wakamotoharu, during a rikishi training session on Feb. 4 Hakkaku Rijicho announced that rikishi would be prohibited from personal use of SNS for an indefinite period of time. 

Commented Shibatayama Oyakata: "A mere tap of the finger can cause a calamity."

Article in Japanese:

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200204-00000123-dal-spo

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

I think this would be better served as a continuation of the existing thread.

Sure, feel free to move or delete. I was looking for an existing thread but couldn't find it.

Edited by Kaninoyama

...I miss Hokuto's Insta posts. :-( He & buddies always made such a good mood posts, and eventho I can't read Japanese, pic/video really can tell more than a thousand words. And it was nice way to be reminded about sumo between bashos. Gotta agree with some of the previous posts; in the longer run this might work against sumo's popularity. (Shakinghead...)

On 12/11/2019 at 18:27, Eikokurai said:

Sounds like the NSK has been on a study trip to China and learned something from the CCP.

CCP'S best student.

19 minutes ago, Zannah said:

in the longer run this might work against sumo's popularity. 

Might?  This is a stunningly ignorant idea.  It essentially criminalizes helpful social interactions, rikishi-fan and rikishi-rikishi.  While they're struggling to bring quality 16-year-olds into Ozumo, they're pushing them away with both hands.

• Like 1

Does this only apply to rikishi? Because a few of the stables/oyakata seem to have accounts and have kept posting all along..?

Edit: To clarify, yes, I read that it says stable pages are unaffected previously, but several of the accounts for stables are more like oyakata pages, so this seems like a really blurry distinction. 

Edited by Benevolance

8 hours ago, Benevolance said:

Does this only apply to rikishi? Because a few of the stables/oyakata seem to have accounts and have kept posting all along..?

Edit: To clarify, yes, I read that it says stable pages are unaffected previously, but several of the accounts for stables are more like oyakata pages, so this seems like a really blurry distinction. 

The ban is on the personal use of SNS by all NSK members - nice and fuzzy. Use it for the heya and it's (yet) OK, have someone knowledgeable post for you and it's OK (so far). Ex-Takekaze may have had the excuse that it was for PR of an official NSK event, his danpatsu-shiki.

Edit: the other popular ban for just the rikishi is on driving themselves - they still can use a car

Edit 2: the next infraction may see a proper SNS control committee and a proper pack of codified SNS rules - will Abi next time get away with just a suspension?

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1

On 06/02/2020 at 00:02, Yamanashi said:

Might?  This is a stunningly ignorant idea.  It essentially criminalizes helpful social interactions, rikishi-fan and rikishi-rikishi.  While they're struggling to bring quality 16-year-olds into Ozumo, they're pushing them away with both hands.

...well. I haven't followed sumo THAT many years, nor have such general knowledge of Japanese culture, that I'd dare to make strong judgements. (Idunno...)

Just making a silent wish of foreign fan that they'll reverse this decision preferable sooner than later... (Beingunsure...)

Perhaps it would be better for the sport if the young generation of rikishi stayed more focused on training (as in the old days) than on social networking. Just saying, as university educators we are seeing a general decline in the level to which many students manage to stay fully focused and attentative in class because of distraction by electronic devices. Perhaps said devices and pervasiveness of social media are affecting the quality of Sumo being produced, too. I'll get off my soapbox now before the tomatoes fly.

• Like 1