Kaminariyuki

Pre-Kyushu predictions?

So, for those of you brave enough to put your prognostications on the line, "Who do you like to lift the cup?" Any other predictions, wild or conservative?

I've just read John Gunning's article in the JT, so maybe I've been influenced, but all things being equal (and at this point ignorant of injuries and situation) I have to like Hakuho. You know he's plotting #43. I have my shochu and wasabi senbei all ready to go. Tachiai!

If Hakuho makes it past day 5, it's his tournament. Kakuryu recently won the cup and finished runner up before that, so I suspect Kak will show up for a fight or two, grimace at the end of a fight, then go kyujo and rest his knee like he should. Those are the only two legit contenders. The rest of the upper ranks are a gong show, and Takayasu and Tochinoshin are probably hoping to hold/get ozeki and will likely not try too hard if it risks hurting themselves further. Goeidou is Goeidou, and Mitakeumi strikes me as Goeidou 2.0. I don't believe Takaeisho that he's healed. 

So if it's not Hakuho, my money is on Asanoyama.

• Like 2

Until his injury concern I was expecting a big score from Mitakeumi but not for him to get the win.

I want to say Hakuho, if his body holds up. 

Otherwise a Takakeisho win genuinely wouldn't surprise me.

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

Pre-What??

admins please merge with "post-kyushu overview"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Pre-What??

It's a tougher version of GTB ;-) you can now try to guess what will happen at the Haru Bashu before the Kyushu Basho has even started.
As the results of the Hatsu Basho in between are obviously pretty much common knowledge already it makes absolute sense to predict the outcome of next years Haru Basho already ;-)

Just kidding, maybe a nice Mod like @Jakusotsu might be so nice to rename this thread?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Pre-What??

Err, yes, I meant Kyushu, of course. I usually try to save errors for the body of a message, rather than the title...

• Haha 2

Particularly egregious error on my part, since Ive actually been to the Kyushu Basho a couple of years ago. Y'all knew what I meant.  

• Like 1

Ha, surprisingly, there's a mechanism for editing the title as a user, at least for the person who starts the thread. I'm enough of a nuisance for the administrators already. For those catching this thread late, I accidentally labeled the thread "Pre-Haru Predictions," but have managed to correct it.

But, in addition to posting your predictions for Kyushu, feel free to jump in on Haru. I'll stick with Hakuho for Kyushu but maybe I'll go with Tochinoshin (miraculously healed) for Haru. We'll get to the January basho by and by...Honestly, I've not opened that bottle of shochu yet. I'm saving it for Sunday afternoon. Really I am.

• Haha 1

As much as I love Takakeishou , I don't like his injury for his style. The Yokozuna may  have problems.   Hokotofuji with hs "bring on the violence " style will be my pick  Go Hokotofuji !!! 

• Like 1

Goeido is also in my predictions. Goeido made some of the greates sumo in last basho, in my opimion.

I don't know why or how Abi's opponents don't just do an Enho and dive under the throat attack..and just push forward. 

1 hour ago, Gabriel said:

Goeido is also in my predictions. Goeido made some of the greates sumo in last basho, in my opimion.

Good one.

53 minutes ago, Philioyamfugi said:

I don't know why or how Abi's opponents don't just do an Enho and dive under the throat attack..and just push forward. 

Because most of the guys just started moving when he's already at their throat. You have to admit he's quick.

• Like 3

Hakuho. He still has at least a couple of outstanding bashos remaining. This will be one of them.

The perfect ending for this crazy year would be a yusho by Wakatakakage.

• Like 1

Bold or maybe whacko prediction: Hakuho vs Enho in the first ever zensho playoff!  Enho defeats 2300kg of rikishi in his first thirteen days, and faces a surprise return on Day 14: Ichinojo at a svelte 178 kg.  Enho makes his usual tachiai attempt to attach himself to the, let us say, lower stomach of Ichinojo, but to everyone's surprise Ichinojo tries a henka and lurches dizzily off to the right as Enho struggles to avoid falling on his face.  Ichinojo hits the edge of the dohyo just as Enho is flying off in a forward flip.  A mono-ii is called but is deadlocked since the fifth judge was too busy shielding himself from Enho to see anything, and with the votes at 2-2, a torinaoshi is called, and the two wrestlers set up woozily for a second bout despite having not contacted one another in the first.  Konosuke calls a dozen times for them to get their hands down, but nothing happens until the thirteenth time, when Enho senses the gravitational effect of Ichinojo collapsing and jumps straight up and over him as Ichinojo gets his hands down but then faceplants.  Hakuho is late entering the ring for his Day 14 match against Goeido because he cannot stop laughing at the replay, but dispatches Goeido to set up the Day 15 showdown, except that they are stablemates.  Enho gets Tochinoshin on Day 15 and loses himself in the Georgian's blind spot off the tachiai; as Tochinoshin struggles to grip Enho, he is suddenly lifted out of the ring to the utter shock of everyone, including the head shimpan who resigns on the spot, later saying "if that is what my eyes were telling me, I was in no condition to continue."  Hakuho survives a three-minute belt battle with 11-3 Kakuryu, who seems to have the upper hand but makes a rookie mistake to hand the bout to Hakuho, then refuses to leave his front row seat.  When questioned later about his error, Kakuryu says 'I could have won easily, but instead I got to watch the first ever match of 15-0 vs 15-0.'

The playoff begins with Enho being reprimanded for lining up on the far left of the line.  He switches to the far right of the line and is again reprimanded.  He then switches to the center and at tachiai jumps straight backward, almost to the bales.  Hakuho is enraged, recovers his balance, and picks Enho up and tosses him halfway down the hanamichi.  As he accepts the applause of the spectators, there is a sudden mono-ii!  Video shows it clearly, in recovering his balance, Hakuho's toes touched the dohyo from the top side, not the sole.  Enho wins his first yusho!

Edited by Ichimawashi
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

The heightened sense of anticipation as a new tournament approaches can do strange things to ones imagination.

4 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

Bold or maybe whacko prediction: Hakuho vs Enho in the first ever zensho playoff!  Enho defeats 2300kg of rikishi in his first thirteen days, and faces a surprise return on Day 14: Ichinojo at a svelte 178 kg.  Enho makes his usual tachiai attempt to attach himself to the, let us say, lower stomach of Ichinojo, but to everyone's surprise Ichinojo tries a henka and lurches dizzily off to the right as Enho struggles to avoid falling on his face.  Ichinojo hits the edge of the dohyo just as Enho is flying off in a forward flip.  A mono-ii is called but is deadlocked since the fifth judge was too busy shielding himself from Endo to see anything, and with the votes at 2-2, a torinaoshi is called, and the two wrestlers set up woozily for a second bout despite having not contacted one another in the first.  Konosuke calls a dozen times for them to get their hands down, but nothing happens until the thirteenth time, when Enho senses the gravitational effect of Ichinojo collapsing and jumps straight up and over him as Ichinojo gets his hands down but then faceplants.  Hakuho is late entering the ring for his Day 14 match against Goeido because he cannot stop laughing at the replay, but dispatches Goeido to set up the Day 15 showdown, except that they are stablemates.  Enho gets Tochinoshin on Day 15 and loses himself in the Georgian's blind spot off the tachiai; as Tochinoshin struggles to grip Enho, he is suddenly lifted out of the ring to the utter shock of everyone, including the head shimpan who resigns on the spot, later saying "if that is what my eyes were telling me, I was in no condition to continue."  Hakuho survives a three-minute belt battle with 11-3 Kakuryu, who seems to have the upper hand but makes a rookie mistake to hand the bout to Hakuho, then refuses to leave his front row seat.  When questioned later about his error, Kakuryu says 'I could have won easily, but instead I got to watch the first ever match of 15-0 vs 15-0.'

The playoff begins with Enho being reprimanded for lining up on the far left of the line.  He switches to the far right of the line and is again reprimanded.  He then switches to the center and at tachiai jumps straight backward, almost to the bales.  Hakuho is enraged, recovers his balance, and picks Enho up and tosses him halfway down the hanamichi.  As he accepts the applause of the spectators, there is a sudden mono-ii!  Video shows it clearly, in recovering his balance, Hakuho's toes touched the dohyo from the top side, not the sole.  Enho wins his first yusho!

Sir, at least have the courtesy of waiting until we post the "Ridiculous predictions for Kyushu basho" thread! (Harumph!)

Time was running out

Busy weekend ahead here

Feel free to transfer

:)

• Haha 2

My money is on half of the Sanyaku to not finish the tournament due to injury. Kak has started the rot

• Like 1
  • Sad 1