Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

New recruits for Haru 2020

Day 7 / Group B

No further absences in this section, Nakajima is back in action.

Results:

Mz11  Kotetsu (2-1)           Mz5   Nakajima (1-1-1)
Mz20  Ikeda (1-2)             Mz17  Aishoryu (2-1)
Mz27  Nagahara (1-2)          Mz30  Yoshino (2-2)
Mz36  Wakaonehara (1-2)       Mz35  Tsukubayama (2-2)
Mz8   Tsukioka (1-2)          Mz4   Daishoko (0-3)
Mz38  Wakatanaka (0-3)        Mz28  Tokai (1-2)
Mz45  Wakayahara (0-3)        Mz29  Yamaguchi (1-2)
Mz37  Wakakaneko (2-1)        Mz5   Nakajima (1-2-1)

Great effort by Wakaonehara, unfortunately not rewarded. At least Nishiiwa did get one early-ish finisher with Wakakaneko in the end. (I guess the oyakata knew which one deserved a proper shikona straight away...)

Standings:

2-win target achieved:
#02  Mz14  Shori        Tatsunami    2-0
#04  Mz3   Shishi       Irumagawa    2-0
#06  Mz32  Fukasawa     Naruto       2-0
#08  Mz10  Kakeno       Otake        2-0
#10  Mz39  Nishida      Oguruma      2-0
#12  Mz47  Hagiwara     Naruto       2-0
#14  Mz2   Goketsuyama  Shibatayama  2-2
#16  Mz9   Hozan        Otake        2-1
---
#18  Mz11  Kotetsu      Otake        2-1
#20  Mz17  Aishoryu     Onomatsu     2-1
#22  Mz30  Yoshino      Sakaigawa    2-2
#24  Mz35  Tsukubayama  Tatsunami    2-2
#25  Mz37  Wakakaneko   Nishiiwa     2-1

Still active:
     Mz5   Nakajima     Michinoku    1-2-1 W |   Mz4   Daishoko    Oitekaze  0-3 E
     Mz8   Tsukioka     Futagoyama   1-2 E   |   Mz38  Wakatanaka  Nishiiwa  0-3 E
     Mz20  Ikeda        Kataonami    1-2 E   |   Mz45  Wakayahara  Nishiiwa  0-3 E
     Mz27  Nagahara     Shibatayama  1-2 E
     Mz28  Tokai        Sakaigawa    1-2 W
     Mz29  Yamaguchi    Sakaigawa    1-2 W
     Mz36  Wakaonehara  Nishiiwa     1-2 E

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well, no one on Day 6 looked totally clueless, not even Shira-etc.  Every one of them engaged at the tachiai.  Nice!

Posted (edited)

Day 8 / Group A

Yagi and Ezura remain absent for the final maezumo session as well.

Results:

Mz6   Sakashita (1-5)         Mz19  Haruku (2-2)
Mz34  Matsumoto (2-2)         Mz24  Matsugi (1-4)
Mz41  Machi (2-2)             Mz26  Taniguchi (1-3)
Mz18  Shiraishizakura (0-5)   Mz25  Takasu (1-3)
Mz6   Sakashita (2-5)         Mz46  Yamakawa (1-4)

Often they would do some more bouts among the remaining one-win rikishi after the regular slate of matches, but in this case all such rikishi were from the same stable, Tagonoura, so there was nothing to schedule.

Not the most stellar sumo on display here, as one would probably have expected for this anyway, though Sakashita-Haruku was a nice little tussle to start things off. Sakashita benefitted from his high position in the sign-up queue and got yet another fill-in bout, his third in total, and he made the most of it by becoming the last rikishi to fully qualify from this group.

The final standings:

2-win target achieved:
#01  Mz1   Wakaseido        Asahiyama    2-0
#03  Mz15  Setonoumi        Takadagawa   2-0
#05  Mz21  Higuchi          Musashigawa  2-0
#07  Mz33  Miyata           Shikoroyama  2-0
#09  Mz43  Ishii            Miyagino     2-0
#11  Mz44  Hokuseiho        Miyagino     2-0
#13  Mz16  Katozakura       Shikihide    2-1
#15  Mz22  Otsuka           Musashigawa  2-1
---
#17  Mz12  Asashorei        Takasago     2-1
#19  Mz13  Asaobora         Takasago     2-1
#21  Mz23  Makio            Musashigawa  2-1
#23  Mz40  Komine           Kokonoe      2-1
#26  Mz19  Haruku           Takadagawa   2-2
#28  Mz34  Matsumoto        Shikoroyama  2-2
#30  Mz41  Machi            Shikoroyama  2-2
#32  Mz6   Sakashita        Isegahama    2-5

Remaining order:
#34  Mz24  Matsugi          Tagonoura    1-4   won on Day 2
#36  Mz46  Yamakawa         Tagonoura    1-4   won on Day 2
#38  Mz26  Taniguchi        Tagonoura    1-3   won on Day 4
#39  Mz25  Takasu           Tagonoura    1-3   won on Day 8
#42  Mz7   Ezura            Isegahama    1-2-2 won on Day 2
#43  Mz31  Yagi             Yamahibiki   1-0-3 won on Day 2
#45  Mz18  Shiraishizakura  Shikihide    0-5
---  Mz42  Watanabe         Asakayama    0-0-4 (listed as Kaihiryu)

Multi-day absent Ezura and Yagi ended up missing the public presentation on Day 9 as well, as did Sakashita for some reason.

As usual in March I'm rather puzzled by how they've decided to interleave the remaining finishers, particularly Takasu at #39 rather than the expected #40. (This will become more or, rather, less clear with the Day 9 Group B post.) Ezura and Yagi being at the bottom of the one-win pile is standard though, as that's what they always do with rikishi who failed to show up for all days.

Just like last year my usual source Sanspo didn't bother to publish an article on the second presentation, but Jiji came through again. As already mentioned by Yubinhaad they surprisingly included completely absent Watanabe as part of the niban-shusse group, with a proper shikona to boot, which now makes me wonder if the Kyokai might have decided to waive the participation requirement for him because unavoidable travel restrictions forced him to miss out on competing, not anything he was responsible for.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 4

Day 9 / Group B

An unexpected absence here on the final day with Wakaonehara sitting this one out.

Results:

Mz8   Tsukioka (1-3)          Mz5   Nakajima (2-2-1)
Mz20  Ikeda (2-2)             Mz28  Tokai (1-3)
Mz27  Nagahara (1-3)          Mz29  Yamaguchi (2-2)
Mz38  Wakatanaka (1-3)        Mz4   Daishoko (0-4)
Mz8   Tsukioka (2-3)          Mz45  Wakayahara (0-4)

In this group they could have done some extra matches, but I guess they either didn't think it worthwhile with just 3 rikishi left on one win, or they didn't want to treat them differently from Group A.

One very good bout to close things out here as well with Nagahara-Yamaguchi.

The final standings:

2-win target achieved:
#02  Mz14  Shori        Tatsunami    2-0
#04  Mz3   Shishi       Irumagawa    2-0
#06  Mz32  Fukasawa     Naruto       2-0
#08  Mz10  Kakeno       Otake        2-0
#10  Mz39  Nishida      Oguruma      2-0
#12  Mz47  Hagiwara     Naruto       2-0
#14  Mz2   Goketsuyama  Shibatayama  2-2
#16  Mz9   Hozan        Otake        2-1
---
#18  Mz11  Kotetsu      Otake        2-1
#20  Mz17  Aishoryu     Onomatsu     2-1
#22  Mz30  Yoshino      Sakaigawa    2-2
#24  Mz35  Tsukubayama  Tatsunami    2-2
#25  Mz37  Wakakaneko   Nishiiwa     2-1
#27  Mz5   Nakajima     Michinoku    2-2-1 (presented as Kirinohana)
#29  Mz20  Ikeda        Kataonami    2-2
#31  Mz29  Yamaguchi    Sakaigawa    2-2
#33  Mz8   Tsukioka     Futagoyama   2-3

Remaining order:
#35  Mz27  Nagahara     Shibatayama  1-3   won on Day 5
#37  Mz28  Tokai        Sakaigawa    1-3   won on Day 7
#40  Mz38  Wakatanaka   Nishiiwa     1-3   won on Day 9
#41  Mz36  Wakaonehara  Nishiiwa     1-2-1 won on Day 5
#44  Mz4   Daishoko     Oitekaze     0-4
#46  Mz45  Wakayahara   Nishiiwa     0-4

Wakaonehara surprisingly showed up for the public presentation, despite having missed the action here only a few hours earlier. It has cost him a handful of spots on the next banzuke anyway, of course.

Again as already reported by Yubinhaad we had Nakajima get presented with the new proper shikona Kirinohana in the niban-shusse. I guess somebody realized that same-kanji Nakashima is already on the banzuke. (Not that it was necessarily going to happen - we've had other cases where the shikona duplication was left unresolved for the maezumo appearance and the new kid only got a different shikona for the actual next banzuke.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

With by far the best video quality of all my Abema cuts this basho, the niban-shusse. As mentioned above only 27 of the 30 (or 31?) eligible rikishi participated.

• Like 2

On 22/01/2020 at 17:33, Katooshu said:

I've read on a Japanese amasumo blog that Yukihiro Hasimoto, last year's captain of Waseda University, will be turning pro with Onoe beya (apparently his family has Kumamoto ties like the oyakata). He has a sandamne qualification as a result of making the best 8 of the student championships. He was also runner-up in a national tournament earlier that year, and in his 2nd-year was the 135kg national weight class champion.

On 11/02/2020 at 20:13, Yubinhaad said:

It's possible that Sokokurai's spot has already been taken, a guy named Asuhada has been visiting the heya to take part in keiko and was also at some of their training camps last year, as shown below. As I understand it, he's a graduate of Hiryu high school and was a classmate of Suzuki, who joined Fujishima-beya a year ago. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

On 29/02/2020 at 17:07, Yubinhaad said:

46 had originally applied to take the shindeshi-kensa, 45 turned up.

On 29/02/2020 at 19:40, Yubinhaad said:

Joining Sakaigawa-beya is 22-year-old Takumi Kadoshima (門島 琢海) from Imizu, Toyama prefecture. He seems to come from a wrestling background, searching around I've found his name in freestyle and Greco-Roman results competing for Takaoka Koryo high school and then Fukuoka University.

Rolling up a few posts about possible recruits who ended up not being part of things here.

(And while going through the thread again I just realized that I had completely missed Yubinhaad's initial post mentioning Aishoryu as Sakamoto's shikona well before I decided to plead ignorance about it...sorry about that!)

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 14:23, Yubinhaad said:

There will be two new yobidashi for the Haru basho. 18-year-old Yuma (悠真) has joined Hakkaku-beya, while 17-year-old Shintaro (新太郎) has joined Kasugano-beya.

One of the new yobidashi was pictured by the Kyokai, along with another newcomer who was learning the job in the hanamichi during this basho. Presumably he will officially join for the Natsu basho. I also expect a new gyoji for Natsu, he was observing in the background of most of the maezumo sessions under the watchful eye of instructors Kimura Yonosuke and Kimura Motoki.

From left: Shintaro, Yuta, unnamed apprentice, Mamoru, Soichi.

IvOrDz6w_o.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 08/03/2020 at 12:56, Naganoyama said:

Sakashita 坂下 Sakashita Toi Isegahama 178 134 28 - August - 2004 Gifu

On 17/03/2020 at 21:14, Asashosakari said:

#32  Mz6   Sakashita        Isegahama    2-5

Sakashita from Yaotsu town city middle school is giving it a try without any sumo experience. In primary school he did karate for 2 years, but wasn't in a sports club in middle school. At a school event he sang in a chorus - and his huge frame caught the eye of a local involved in training and raising of young persons. This man had a distant relative who once was in Isegahama-beya and through this is an old friend of the oyakata. He met him at that year's Nagoya basho and told him about his find, and 3 days after the basho, all of a sudden the oyakata came to the school to scout Sakashita. Sakashita came to observe the heya training camp in Seki for 3 days last October, and end of the year stayed in the heya for 3 days, to live together with the rikishi. This kindled his interest in sumo, of which he had none at first.

Due to Corona, he stayed at home with his parents till mid April and now is at the heya again to at last catch up with training.

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/gifu/20200510/CK2020051002000023.html

with his mother in February

PK2020050902100325_size0.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Sakashita from Yaotsu town city middle school ..... In primary school he did karate for 2 years, but wasn't in a sports club in middle school. At a school event he sang in a chorus - and his huge frame caught the eye of a local

Sounds like a fat kid with minimal athletic ability.  Will he survive to Hatsu 21?

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 23:07, Yubinhaad said:

Newcomer Watanabe is absent having had the opposite problem to Machi - he managed to get back to Tokyo after the shindeshi-kensa to attend his graduation ceremony, but was then unable to return to Osaka.

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 16:13, Yubinhaad said:

NHK and the press articles include absent Watanabe with the shikona Kaihiryu

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 20:14, Asashosakari said:

As already mentioned by Yubinhaad they surprisingly included completely absent Watanabe as part of the niban-shusse group, with a proper shikona to boot, which now makes me wonder if the Kyokai might have decided to waive the participation requirement for him because unavoidable travel restrictions forced him to miss out on competing, not anything he was responsible for.

According to Asakayama-beya, Kaihiryu will be on the dohyo tomorrow for a special shussehiro to make up for missing out back in March. His shisho and stablemates helped him put on a kesho-mawashi for the first time. I'm not sure if it will take place at the usual shussehiro time, nor do I know if others who were absent then will also take part.

lk9l4xsp_o.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

According to Asakayama-beya, Kaihiryu will be on the dohyo tomorrow for a special shussehiro to make up for missing out back in March. His shisho and stablemates helped him put on a kesho-mawashi for the first time. I'm not sure if it will take place at the usual shussehiro time, nor do I know if others who were absent then will also take part.

Three others joined Kaihiryu for the special shonichi shussehiro, which took place before the day's torikumi started. From left: Sakashita, Ezura, Ieshima, Kaihiryu.

pC0pVLro_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 19/07/2020 at 20:35, Yubinhaad said:

Three others joined Kaihiryu for the special shonichi shussehiro, which took place before the day's torikumi started. From left: Sakashita, Ezura, Ieshima, Kaihiryu.

• Like 1