Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

97th National Student Championships

The 97th National Student Championships are on Nov. 2nd and 3rd, not in the kokugikan, but in Sakai, Osaka. And the student yokozuna gets as special prize: a sword - from the city of swordsmiths

The swordsmith who made it showed it to the mayor, the 6th commemorative sword he forged, a 30.6 cm long wakizashi, a small sword

wst1911010002-n1.jpgo

https://www.city.sakai.lg.jp/shisei/koho/hodo/hodoteikyoshiryo/kakohodo/teikyoshiryo_h31/teikyoushiryou_r0110/011028_01.files/1028_01.pdf

NHK broadcasts 1h on Etele, 16:00h JST https://www2.nhk.or.jp/hensei/program/p.cgi?area=001&date=2019-11-02&ch=31&eid=28068&f=395

Results will appear on the sumo federation site http://sumorenmei.moo.jp/

for videos we have to rely on the usual channels

Nittaidai has posted a video of their team: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZKBX7n6uIk

for the first bout: Delgerbayar, 2nd Yuta Takahashi, middle Hiroshige Kikuchi, 2nd to last Ryota Fukano, and taisho Takuma Ishizaki

athletes (only in the individuals or the prelims): Taisei Matsusono, Daiki Nakamura, Choijil-kun

• Like 2

Surely Nakamura will be on their main team that goes through to the eliminations? He is arguably the top competitor in amasumo right now...

Edited by Katooshu

12 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Surely Nakamura will be on their main team that goes through to the eliminations? He is arguably the top competitor in amasumo right now...

Right, the ones with team position may partly be for the prelims only and should get replaced in the end by the Nittaidai kokutai top 2 Nakamura and Matsusono - Choijil is maybe only replacement and maybe only  in the individuals. Nakamura and Matsusono at first will concentrate on the individuals.

Nittaidai is posting the results on their blog about real time - sumorenmei has none yet

prelim 1 http://blog.livedoor.jp/nittaidaisumo/archives/5111800.html

at the page bottom the links to other results

Edited by Akinomaki

Nakamura as 1st year is student yokozuna and has now a ms10TD qualification, final against Tanioka (in Japanese still Kinkidai)

Delgerbayar (3rd y.) and Tanaka from Chuodai were in the semis.

1st year Choiji lost in the best 16, 5 out of 8 from Nittaidai made it to the best 32, 2 to the best 8 http://blog.livedoor.jp/nittaidaisumo/archives/5111807.html

SdTD qf also for Hashimoto (Waseda), the Toyodai pair Fukai and 2nd year Hatsuyama 羽出山, Ibuki Suguro (Takudai)

橋本(早稲田)      ×(押し倒し)○ 田中(中央大)
勝呂歩(拓殖大)  ×(叩き込み)○ 中村(日体大)
深井(東洋大)      ×(寄り倒し)○ 谷岡 (近畿大)
羽出山(東洋大)   ×(下手投げ)○ デルゲルバヤル(日体大)

Edit: Nittaidai has an error in the best 32 results - Choijil is with a loss there http://blog.livedoor.jp/nittaidaisumo/archives/5111803.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

The video is about 3 min short and goes till the end of the yusho interview

21 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

NHK broadcasts 1h on Etele, 16:00h JST

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Amateur sumo more and more mimics ozumo: Nakamura (193cm, 165kg) with a whole set of trophies for the yusho, on the left the box with the sword

20191102s00005000291000p_thum.jpgo origin_1.jpgo

20191102at55S_t.jpgo 20191102-OHT1I50141-N.jpgo 

After 29 years again a first year as student yokozuna, Luis Go Ikemori then - and how many years since that one was also kokutai champion?

20191102at54S_t.jpgo 4.jpgo

How many have made the hat-trick and won the amateur yokozuna title as well? Can he do it? A waste: "Pro comes after graduation." Will he end up with just a sdTD qualification when he graduates? Or achieve his goal and equal Kushima(umi): all 4 years the title.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 01/11/2019 at 16:06, Akinomaki said:

for the first bout: Delgerbayar, 2nd Yuta Takahashi, middle Hiroshige Kikuchi, 2nd to last Ryota Fukano, and taisho Takuma Ishizaki

NIttaidai from the first round prelims put Nakamura in the middle and ind. best 16 Choijil in the 4th bout. They won all in the prelims, in the best 8 only Takahashi lost, but in the sf only Choijil and Takahashi won against Nichidai, the other 3 lost. Nichidai then won the final 4-1 against Toyodai. http://blog.livedoor.jp/nittaidaisumo/archives/5111812.html

ind. final Nakamura-Tanioka

4.jpgo

twitter

x41bKiUKTy2c-8lg.jpg:thumbvid QOaqJt0WXyIWeKlH.jpg:thumbvid 4i4tLh0mhoxrqToc.jpg:thumbvid 7Xn9zujguXNAnP4I.jpg:thumbvid GudpHtIxknrAK7Rc.jpg:thumbvid WeMP-uSSYEQTNAQd.jpg:thumbvid

QsJLTRLIFYRqOZsX.jpg:thumbvid rCI0p_AFeBnrA6qW.jpg:thumbvid K5m6z0WrLCo1mLws.jpg:thumbvid 0jb-d71fD5n8uuSy.jpg:thumbvid G9aJ-_TEIS3oQMB_.jpg:thumbvid -ockaNoPtcl2LQIH.jpg:thumbvid c2athmvc-hz3VBhR.jpg:thumbvid pNXlzbvACoet1aYs.jpg:thumbvid AbnvMUSH4tAlXEKY.jpg:thumbvid pfk35hLJXCjIJCWm.jpg:thumbvid 8cq_UutiIMGwqXmD.jpg:thumbvid QrWUAxYKNIjyTy_V.jpg:thumbvid LcMli-f_5ueARJ6G.jpg:thumbvid YmHDsH8EHCh8G4ZD.jpg:thumbvid uF-AInEjEnacuyXF.jpg:thumbvid pzKnRSarVPMPlCWM.jpg:thumbvid cqVJhTLA2Kde32Se.jpg:thumbvid dgoZNfPGoUF_Cmkr.jpg:thumbvid yinbAonG698_dw8-.jpg:thumbvid

Tekkan has also posted 6 +5 hours of of low quality live feeds today and yesterday https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv_DMAQpEr9Gel-gIDHiB_Q/videos

I rather wait for the better separate videos

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That Yersin fellow on Nichidai (recently under discussion) seems to be the opponent Nakamura struggles with most. Nakamura beat him twice this year, but Yersin also won both their team matches in Kanazawa and now beats him in the team match here for a 3-2 advantage in this year's head-to-heads.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

Nichidai's Yelshin (my choice) from Kazakhstan defeated Nakamura in the team semis

4.jpgo

winner Nichidai

201911030000540-w200_0.jpgo4.jpgo origin_1.jpgo

semis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-nDgMuNdSk

final https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRyrNmscgBg

TNKYK Sumo also posted some team (with Nichidai in the best 8) and individuals videos user/tnkyk63/search?query="2019+全国学生相撲選手権大会"

Tekkan posted more from the individual prelims today, team prelims maybe tomorrow

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any background info on Yersin/Yelshin, other than being from Kazakhstan? 

It truly has been an incredible year for Nakamura Taiki eh? Reminds me of a certain other first year from a few years ago (looking at you Shiroyama Seira). But whilst Taiki still has the National Amateur Championships to aim for next month, Toyo's team captain Seira has apparently QUIT the sumo club.

Taiki.jpg

So much credit has to go to Nihon University's Kawazoe Keita for their team win. Keita may not be as big as most of the other competitors, but he had to step up to the plate in both the quarter-final and the semi-final with his team at 2-2, and both times he won the bout spectacularly (I'll post videos of those bouts in the next post). Truly an MVP performance!

Keita.jpg

It's been a great year for the Kawazoe family., what with Keita helping his team win this tournament, and his younger brother Fuma and his Buntoku High Sumo team-mates winning the Inter-High. And on top of that, their kohai at Kawakami Dojo won the team Yusho at the Hakuho Cup at the start of the year. The Kumamoto rikishis are coming.

Fuma.jpgKawakami.jpg

Nihon University's Ishioka Mikiya is so so unlucky with injuries. I seem to remember that it was an injury that prevented him from appearing in his semi-final match in the Inter-High title a couple of years ago, and he got injured in the team final this time around. Luckily his team-mates were there to bring home the Yusho.

Mikiya.jpg

And speaking of the team final, both Sawada Hitoshi (Nihon University) and Hatsuyama Sho (Toyo University) are Tachikawa Renseikan graduates, with Hitoshi helping his team to win the whole thing and Sho a whisker away from getting to the individual semi-finals (it was a ring-edge reversal). Renseikan's Sagawa-sensei sure knows how to nurture them talents!

Hitoshi.jpgSho.jpg

Edited by mikawa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Below are videos of Kawazoe Keita's bouts in the team quarter-final (left), semi-final (right) and final (left). Check out those moves!

Edited by mikawa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/11/2019 at 09:06, Akinomaki said:

Nakamura as 1st year is student yokozuna and has now a ms10TD qualification

Not that it's going to matter much but, Ms10 still only if the multiple titles include the amateur yokozuna one, no? 

2 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Not that it's going to matter much but, Ms10 still only if the multiple titles include the amateur yokozuna one, no? 

The rule I knew was 2 out of the big 4 (I got that apparently from a source that had it wrong) - the papers wrote he had 2 ms15. The kokutai has the same relevance as the zennihon - I just looked up the requirements for qualifying for that: the points for the kokutai and for last year's tournament are the same, and top of all tournaments. http://www.nihonsumo-renmei.jp/about/pdf/kitei.pdf

Edited by Akinomaki

That must have changed, because Chiyotairyu had Kokutai + Student like Nakamura, but he started only with Ms15

Edited by Katooshu

39 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

When did Ms10 come into effect? Because Chiyotairyu had Kokutai + Student like Nakamura, but he started only with Ms15

Indeed, I was wrong, the sumo daijiten lists the rule as zennihon plus 1, there was no change since the start of the present system Aki 2000, before that it was ms60. The rule as I knew it had just 2 out of 4 - I have to search again for my sources for that: I had read that again just the other day.

Edited by Akinomaki

Does Nakamura qualify for the All Japan championships? He is only 2nd dan. Can he get the 3rd dan in a hurry? Or is he somehow exempt from that rule? The rules for acquiring dan grades start on page 94 of the sumorenmei regulations - at least one year has to pass after getting to 2nd dan.

14 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Page 60 lists a few more requirements: business people have to be 4th dan, students 3rd dan, high school students 2nd dan, middle school shodan - this implies that at least the middle school yokozuna can compete in the kokutai juniors - and adults 3rd dan - but who'd be in this category?  Ronin maybe, or just after high school and not yet employed - but they would still have to be in corporate sumo to get points.

Kushima(umi), the only winner of the All Japan ever as high school student, therefore had to be 2nd dan at the time, and Ichinojo-norow, the winner of the corporate championships just after high school, could then not participate in the All Japan because he wasn't 4th dan - with his Tottori Johoku teacher job he should have qualified as shakaijin - or 3rd dan if his case was that of the plain adult category.

Edited by Akinomaki

Last year Hatsuyama as a first year was in the All-Japans, with his only notable results being a semifinal finish at the East Japan weight class tournament in openweight, and also a quarterfinal at the national weight class event. I think Kanzaki of Kindai also made it as a first year, with his best results the West Japan rookie yusho and seminfinals in the weight class tournaments. Hoshiba of Toyo and Takahashi of Nittaidai also competed as freshman, neither having won a tournament.

Nakamura, aside from winning 6 titles, also was in the seminfinals at the national tournaments in Usa (won 3rd place playoff), Kanazawa, and Towada (won 3rd place playoff), plus the semifinals at the main East Japan tournament. He was quarterfinals at Uwajima in his first college event.

If they have adjusted the rules since last year, when the ones above made it with far inferior results, then it will be virtually impossible for any first year to qualify if Nakamura doesn't--when was the last time a freshman had a more successful year? You'd probably have to go back decades at least and it's possible that not even the likes of Kushima surpassed it...

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

On 04/11/2019 at 16:13, Katooshu said:

Wow, any reason given for why Shiroyama quit?

No reasons were given, but there is speculation that Shiroyama may have suffered a severe injury somewhere along the line. It is truly a great loss for sumo, he could have been the next Mitakeumi.

• Like 1