Akinomaki

Top yobidashi Takuro violence scandal

On 16/10/2019 at 12:33, Otokonoyama said:

On 16/10/2019 at 13:04, Akinomaki said:

The later jungyo chronically seems to encourage violence among the top - yokozuna, tate gyoji and now tate yobidashi. I think this should have a separate topic.

Most information from the detailed Nikkan article are explained in the replies of the tweet, only time and place not: the incident happened on the 8th at the Itoigawa jungyo in Niigata around 7 in the morning.

The 2 beaten yobidashi had to withdraw from the jungyo to get interviewed by the compliance committee. http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2019/10/18/kiji/20191018s00005000089000c.html

Violence of this kind in the past happened hundreds of times each day, I'd say till the Takanofuji incident still dozens of time. This must be the first time a low ranked beaten one went himself to complain to the oyakata in charge of denunciations (or some other NSK official).

TV news between 5 and 8 p.m. had a few 1m reports on the day it came out, nothing later or in the wide shows next days, then only short mentions of Takakeisho joining the jungyo.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Takuro gets a punishment like the former Inosuke - 2 basho suspension. The difference is that the rijikai today also decided to accept as of today the request to retire he had handed in, for Inosuke it was as for after the suspension. There is no more tate-yobidashi for a while. https://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2019102500925&g=spo

All who are in the NSK for longer were raised in an environment where violence of this degree was not only normal, but right. The NSK could fire half of their members now if the younger ones get used to denunciate.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Seems to me they really wanted to punish Shikimori, since his offense was a little more sensitive and he also had a history of blown calls and swaying in the dohyo on occasion. Seems like Takuro’s treatment is more a recognition that times have changed and they can’t keep people around whose instinct is to do things the old way. Seems like this has changed fast in the sumo world, I’m a relative neophyte here but things have changed a lot in the 6 years I’ve really followed sumo goings-on. I suspect we’ll see more like this as those who can’t adapt their behaviors fall back on old methods and the youngsters see their complaints taken seriously.

Takuro heading for the rijikai today

201910250000316-w200_0.jpgo b_12820868.jpgo201910250000316-w200_1.jpgo b_12819417.jpgo 

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/10/2019 at 02:36, Akinomaki said:

Violence of this kind in the past happened hundreds of times each day, I'd say till the Takanofuji incident still dozens of time. This must be the first time a low ranked beaten one went himself to complain to the oyakata in charge of denunciations (or some other NSK official).

Really?   That is unacceptable and each case should be treated as a criminal act.    

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Really?   That is unacceptable and each case should be treated as a criminal act.    

Until very recently it was generally accepted that this is how sumo is - it remains to be seen if a purely non-violent sumo can survive at all - maybe if it is filled with Hattorizakuras.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Until very recently it was generally accepted that this is how sumo is - it remains to be seen if a purely non-violent sumo can survive at all - maybe if it is filled with Hattorizakuras.

I'm 100% with you. In fact the whole world should tone done on abolishing ye goode, ole traditions. A world where i can't give my (imaginary) wife and kids a traditional beating without going to jail for it, isn't a world i want to live in anymore.

• Like 2

Humans tend to go from one extreme to the other, because they have problems with something related to the insights of one of my favorite authors

If life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion

3 hours ago, Benihana said:

I'm 100% with you. In fact the whole world should tone done on abolishing ye goode, ole traditions. A world where i can't give my (imaginary) wife and kids a traditional beating without going to jail for it, isn't a world i want to live in anymore.

I agree with my good friend Benihana that there should definitely be a sarcasm emoji in the reaction menu.

• Like 2

It’s a game people watch for fun. It shouldn’t be built around human misery. 

• Like 1

Whilst I enjoy watching sumo, I don't think I do it for fun so much as satisfying a craving for fascination. Sumo hooked me because it fascinated me. I was fascinated that these guys chose to live such a harsh and at times brutal existence for the sake of their sport. Rikishi like Chiyonofuji and Konishiki spoke openly about their treatment toughening them up. It wasn't a secret.

So I can sympathise a little with Takuro. After all those years living that life, just when he'd got to where it was his place to dish it out, they changed the bloody rules! 

Yeah, he had to go, but I can't help feeling for him.

He’s probably been dishing it out for a long time. The rules just changed underneath him and he hit the kid who would tell someone who would listen.

The sumo lifestyle is fascinating to me, too. The traditions and practices are so different from even the modern Japanese lifestyle that it’s a wonder anyone does it. However, if what is going on doesn’t produce good wrestlers in a humane way, what good is it? I feel more for Takuro than Takanofuji. Takuro is just older and didn’t adapt to the new ways. Takanofuji is young and should know better. He wasn’t even around for the old ways. If a kid gets beaten because he’s slow with the washing up or whatever, does that make him better in the ring? If he’s only doing things to avoid pain, isn’t that the definition of cowardice? Seems to me like pain isn’t something they should be conditioned to avoid when the job is running full-speed into giants. 

Takuro has been removed on the picture banzuke, but what about the real one: is he blackened out or on it? The responsible gyoji should have finished writing the banzuke by the time the retirement of Takuro had been accepted. Unlike the gyoji, at the center of the banzuke and the top with kanji the size of a makuuchi rikishi, the yobidashi are all in tiny characters in the lower left corner. Can somebody who has the real banzuke sheet have a look there?

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:10, Akinomaki said:

Takuro has been removed on the picture banzuke, but what about the real one: is he blackened out or on it? The responsible gyoji should have finished writing the banzuke by the time the retirement of Takuro had been accepted. Unlike the gyoji, at the center of the banzuke and the top with kanji the size of a makuuchi rikishi, the yobidashi are all in tiny characters in the lower left corner. Can somebody who has the real banzuke sheet have a look there?

This is the best picture I've found, and looking closely you can see that yes, he's on there. It's also handy for those who didn't know the minor trivia that only Juryo and above yobidashi are given a place on the actual banzuke; for tokoyama only the top two classes, tokuto and itto.

pVCY9DC8_o.jpg

I'll miss seeing Takuro's gently smiling face here and there; he was the last person I would've expected something like this to happen to. If there's anything good that can come from it, it's that he did set a good example at the end by taking responsibility and tendering his resignation.

There was a nice touch from Satoyama at his danpatsu-shiki, Kimura Akijiro was the gyoji, and Takuro got to make a cut of the hair - they were all originally in Mihogaseki-beya.

Wgr7YUKs_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

One maybe pleasing side effect of this result - for Kintamayama at least - is that we might have to hear less of Jiro a little bit sooner

On 07/04/2017 at 18:20, Akinomaki said:

Tate yobidashi - Takuro, Kasugano-beya 24.02.1956

On 07/04/2017 at 17:07, Kintamayama said:

I guess the totally tone-deaf yobidashi (forgot the name..) who does the two before musubi bouts (no less..) is there for the affection, then. I don't get how he got this high. So he does it with style and charm, then (not!!).

Sanyaku yobidashi - Jiro, Kasugano-beya 19.01.1960

We'll have to wait another 4 years so that we have him at least reduced to only one bout and then 4 more years to get rid of him.

Jiro may get promoted to the top a few basho earlier with this - for quite a while though we have to endure him for the last 2 bouts, where his voice is most conspicuous

Edited by Akinomaki