Sign in to follow this  
Yubinhaad

New recruits for 2019 Kyushu

The new Onomatsu-oyakata should have his first shindeshi at the Kyushu basho, although he's really a recruit of the old one, having been at the heya for several months already. His name is Wataru Nihonyanagi, surely the same guy mentioned a few times in this thread, shown here making a cut in Ikeru's danpatsu-shiki after the Natsu basho.

HUARD1Bj_o.jpg

Elsewhere, I've heard that Naya's younger brother Kosei will be following him onto the ozumo dohyo in November, Otake-oyakata apparently reported it to the koenkai after the Aki basho.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 7

On 14/10/2019 at 21:40, Yubinhaad said:

I've heard that Naya's younger brother Kosei will be following him onto the ozumo dohyo in November, Otake-oyakata apparently reported it to the koenkai after the Aki basho.

Today was the press conference at Saitama Sakae high to announce that Takatoriki's 4th son Kousei Naya (18, 183cm, 135kg) enters Otake-beya to start in maezumo for Kyushu: "I'll endeavor with utmost effort, and, it's OK when it goes slowly, I want to do my best to aim for sekitori." His major result during high school was a best 32 at the interhigh this year. Head coach Yamada: "His body is still small (Naya 3 was 190cm, 160kg as he joined). If he gets the body of a pro he might transform." Naya (4) is still growing, but only a very little bit. Yamada had recommended him to go to university first (like Naya 2), and brother Naya (3) had told him "It's not as easy as in high school", but: "Since I was small, going to the pros was my dream. I thought I'd like to challenge early on." About being grandson of Taiho: "It's a welcome thing to get attention. To correspond to that I want to gambarize and get cheered for. Grandad was - he was an ordinary gentle grandad. Since I started with sumo (at age 5), I thought he's an amazing person."" http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201910160000230.html

Otake-oyakata, Naya, Yamada

201910160000230-w200_1.jpg 20191016s00005000326000p_thum.jpgo

201910160000230-w1300_0.jpg

20191016-OHT1I50201-N.jpgo EG-M5dfVAAA6CAG.jpg:thumbo 20191018-OYTNI50052-1.jpg?type=mediumo

Saitama TV news clip http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20191016-00010002-teletamav-l11

the 3 Naya at the Hakuho cup 2013 - Hakuho was most fond of Kosei

EG-M5g7UYAAXsgW.jpg:thumbo EG-M6G7VAAAxay7.jpg:thumbo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

From what I've seen Konosuke (I guess the official 'Naya' now) is by far the best of the brothers. Kousei (this one turning pro now) at least seems better than the one at Chuo University, who can barely win a match. 

Edited by Katooshu

Presumably Konosuke will change his shikona so Kosei can become Naya.

44 minutes ago, RPedro44 said:

Is there a "Naya 1"?

A traitor to sumo - till now he did several fights - https://dramaticddt.wordpress.com/2019/05/14/yukio-naya-joins-ddt-new-maruange-matches-sendai-girls-vs-all-out/

Now given as 201cm, 130kg

On 07/08/2017 at 15:51, Akinomaki said:
On 02/08/2017 at 17:15, Akinomaki said:
On 29/10/2016 at 17:28, Akinomaki said:

The first son of Takatoriki, Yukio Naya (22, 195cm, 120kg) is now ready for his debut fight: on Feb. 4th, about 4 years after he entered pro-wrestling in March 2013 - he fell ill last year and for one whole year couldn't accomplish anything.

Actually his debut fight didn't take place - this ancient sumo style event was cancelled (and maybe the whole sumahi organization is finished): the next date for his debut fight is Sep. 14th, now really pro-wrestling.

Now Yukio is listed as 22, 197cm, 130kg. "I don't want to have the label Taiho's grandson and son of Takatoriki proceed me, but get appreciated as pro-wrestler Naya." He may do MMA fights later.

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/battle/news/2017/08/04/kiji/20170804s00003000175000c.html

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/battle/news/2017/08/05/kiji/20170804s00003000309000c.html

20170804s00003000177000p_thum.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

The NSK has announced yesterday  that 2 have applied for the shin-deshi kensa tomorrow - only Naya and  Wataru Nihonyanagi 二本柳  亘 then https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201910290000078.html

To be joined in maezumo by Dewanoumi's Mongolian shindeshi who passed the exams last time, and I believe banzuke-gai Iwata will return as well.

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 17:54, ryafuji said:

Presumably Konosuke will change his shikona so Kosei can become Naya.

It used to be quite common in Taiho/Otake-beya for a rikishi to become 'Osurname' when there was a clash, if that's still the heya tradition then the younger one might become Onaya until some proper shikona are earned. On the other hand, the shisho might think the name is too high profile already for something that mundane. As ever, we'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

It used to be quite common in Taiho/Otake-beya for a rikishi to become 'Osurname' when there was a clash, if that's still the heya tradition then the younger one might become Onaya until some proper shikona are earned. On the other hand, the shisho might think the name is too high profile already for something that mundane. As ever, we'll just have to wait and see.

We didn't have to wait long as it turns out - Naya the Younger will use the shikona Mudoho (夢道鵬, むどうほう). His grandfather (former Yokozuna Taiho) is the inspiration for the first and third kanji, the first one meaning dream was one of his favourites, the third obviously comes from his shikona. The middle kanji is taken from the given name of Saitama Sakae sumo director Michinori Yamada. A few pictures in the box.

Spoiler

BFHI06lP_o.jpg

OhbcGy2H_o.jpg

MgR4ii1S_o.jpg

A8LSZrtJ_o.jpg

a5blTvPG_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

The NSK has posted pics from the shindeshi kensa - at last with Nihonyanagi

EIm57_cUYAEVXBQ.jpg:large

EIm57_gUUAA1eC5.jpg:thumbo 

else everywhere only a Naya collection

EIG5L_SUcAACvcM.jpg:thumbo 20191030at34S_t.jpgo 4.jpgo201910300000310-w200_0.jpgo EIm57_bUcAEhoww.jpg:thumbo b_12833326.jpgo 20191030s00005000363000p_thum.jpgo Ha5GibCPpbJEUA2-.jpg:thumbvid

• Like 3

NSK data:
SHIKONA KANJI NAME HEYA HEIGHT WEIGHT DOB BIRTHPLACE
Naya 納谷 Naya Kosei Otake 183 135 18 - September- 2001 Tokyo
Nihonyanagi 二本柳 Nihonyanagi Wataru Onomatsu 176 163 31 - May - 2000 Saitama

Edited by Naganoyama
Nihonyanagi's heya fixed
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Naganoyama said:

Nihonyanagi Wataru Unknown

Did the NSK not report that he's in Onomatsu-beya?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

It does now, probably an error left it blank when Naganoyama collected the info earlier.

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 16:48, Yubinhaad said:

To be joined in maezumo by Dewanoumi's Mongolian shindeshi who passed the exams last time

His shikona has been revealed, Dewanoryu (出羽ノ龍).

EKv5fo7k_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Thanks, fixed.

Miselet now has posted maezumo on the Dailymotion channel, view-able without login

day 3 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7o092u

day 4 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7o091z

day 5 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7o0910

Taiga only competed on the first day and skipped the rest, Dewanoryu won all 3 days

the only win of Mudoho yesterday, from 1&o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVWmcJO7DJA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And now for the summary...

Day 3

Results:

Mz1  Taiga (0-1)             Mz2  Dewanoryu (1-0)
Mz3  Mudoho (0-1)            Mz4  Nihonyanagi (1-0)
Mz1  Taiga (0-2)             Mz5  Iwata (1-0)

Doubly unusual happenings here, with Iwata not only scheduled at the bottom of the pile rather than the top as is customary for returnees (did Naruto forget to make his return intentions known in time?), but also getting seated on the West side from the start of the session, the wakaimonogashira in charge apparently anticipating that East-side Taiga would lose the first match and be the one to fill in later. (That Iwata has actually been assigned to the East side as well can be deduced from his Day 5 bout.)

Standings:

Mz2  Dewanoryu    Dewanoumi    1-0 W   |   Mz1  Taiga   Isegahama  0-2 E
Mz4  Nihonyanagi  Onomatsu     1-0 W   |   Mz3  Mudoho  Otake      0-1 E
Mz5  Iwata        Naruto       1-0 E

Day 4

Results:

Mz3  Mudoho (0-2)            Mz2  Dewanoryu (2-0)
Mz5  Iwata (1-1)             Mz4  Nihonyanagi (2-0)

Standings:

Mz2  Dewanoryu    Dewanoumi    2-0 W   |   Mz5  Iwata   Naruto     1-1 E   |   Mz1  Taiga   Isegahama  0-2-1 E
Mz4  Nihonyanagi  Onomatsu     2-0 W                                           Mz3  Mudoho  Otake      0-2 E

Day 5

Results:

Mz2  Dewanoryu (3-0)         Mz4  Nihonyanagi (2-1)
Mz5  Iwata (1-2)             Mz3  Mudoho (1-2)

Dewanoryu prevents the West-side sweep. Good enough high school pedigree and display of competency here for both him and Nihonyanagi that they shouldn't be encountering any significant obstacles until at least high sandanme if not low makushita, while Mudoho seems fairly mediocre outside of his decent physical build. Ought to still make sandanme easily (if a high school grad with sumo experience can't do that he might as well abandon all hope, anyway), but I'm not sure we'll be seeing him challenge for a promotion to makushita all that soon. 

The final standings:

3-win target achieved:
#01  Mz2  Dewanoryu    Dewanoumi  3-0

Remaining order:
#02  Mz4  Nihonyanagi  Onomatsu   2-1
#03  Mz5  Iwata        Naruto     1-2
#04  Mz3  Mudoho       Otake      1-2
#05  Mz1  Taiga        Isegahama  0-2-2

(Order confirmed per Sanspo as usual.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1