Sign in to follow this  
SUMO4MUMO

How to code a sumo game? I have an idea...

I played some browser sumo games but they didn't really sattisfy me.

I have an idea for a game where you start as newbie and you make your way to the top by winning tournaments, upgrading your character, choosing (or upgrading) one different (or same) ability every few levels, and so on.

It would be even funnier in multiplayer heh and perhaps if I added second class, samurais with swords..

Anyway I am not so good at coding (very familiar with computers though) but I thought that its because i never really had an idea that I want to put the work in but this time is different.

Does anyone know what language should I code it with? I want the game to be downloadable and playable on computer.

As a non-coder for most of my life, I entered a phase a couple of years ago, where I tried to learn it through video courses. The aim was to get enough understanding to be able to employ some pro without getting ripped off. I really grew into it and also started some decent projects. Nevertheless, I have to warn you that even with a clear idea, everything will take ages if you are beginner or even aspiring amateur. At least that was my impression.

What I learned (a bit) was Java, which I liked very much. It's cross-platform, has zillions of open libraries, excellent documentation (very important for me, as I didn't bring the pedigree). On the downside, it's Java, i.e. you need to have the runtime environment installed, which everyone hates, because it's supposedly very unsafe and open to external threats.

Good luck with the project, though.

Like previous poster said creating any good game will take ages. But not because its hard. But because creating good models, images, sounds and other assets and micro elements takes this much time.

If you downloaded some free game pack kit with textures and/or models (1-30min), learned basics of game engine and programming (few weeks fulltime), you could pretty much, with help of internet, code one feature in few days sometimes even few hours, and then you just would connect free assets to it - you could have working 2D/3D game in few months.

That was just an example though - personally I hate using other people assets but i am not a pro at creating them either. But honestly, if you learn basics of programing and use engine and learn it as well, then you won't have bigger issues with creating basic 2d-3d games.

I recommend Unity (supports c#). Its one of most popular engines and the amount of free help and tutorials on internet is so big that you will always find solution. This website has great tutorial at the bottom that contains attacking, healthbars, inventory, movement, model and animation, and other things.

If you didnt code before then it may be confusing so maybe start from this video: (you can find many "c# basics" videos on youtube)

Good luck man

Edited by sumozoid