Sign in to follow this  
Katooshu

All Japan Corporate Championship

Corporate yokozuna for a record 4th time is Mitakeumi's former coach:: Toyo University staff member and all-out oshi blaster Kengo Arakizeki, who won in the final over Aisin Seiki's Tatsuya Kamiyama (name translates as Kamiyama but is pronounced differently--like 'Oyama'). Kamiyama/Oyama won a corporate-college tournament the other week in Kariya.

Arakizeki had previously shared the record with 2 others who had won the tournament 3 times. His first 3 titles came in a span of 4 tournaments from 2009-2012, and he then finished runner-up to Ichinojo when going for his 4th yusho in 2013. He also has many strong accomplishments in other big amasumo tournaments, including winning and running-up (to Ishikawa teammate Endo) in the Kokutai, as well as making the final and semi-finals of the December All Japan tournament, but he hadn't seen a major result in a few years.

The losing semifinalists were Hayato Miwa (far right) of Niigata and Keisuke Yoshida (centre; 2014 winner) of Aisin Seiki.

7bdd5052.jpg

The team winner was Aisin Seiki, beating Nippon Express for the yusho. Aisin Seiki has a strong addition this year in Ryosuke Nakajima (second on left below), who was the west yokozuna on last year's university banzuke, and finished runner-up to Kamiyama in the Kariya tournament I mentioned.

e37d52ee.jpg

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

At the time of his serial winning ways until about five years ago I wouldn't have been surprised if Arakizeki would have been in the conversation for the most talented sumotori not to have gone pro. Nice to see he's still getting it done in his mid-30s.

(For anyone else who is wondering what on Earth "Sodick" on Miwa's affiliation badge stands for, it's apparently a precision machinery company.)

9 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

(For anyone else who is wondering what on Earth "Sodick" on Miwa's affiliation badge stands for, it's apparently a precision machinery company.)

Please confirm that he is a Kinki University graduate. ;-)

• Haha 3

Were Akarizeki to have gone pro, I would have chosen Burudoza as his shikona.

With footage now out, we can name the losing quarterfinalists-a strong group of them-as Riki Osanai (2016 East Japan champ at Nichidai), Soichiro Kurokawa (2015 Kokutai champ and 2017 corporate yokozuna), Tomohiro Saigo (2016 Kokutai champ and 2017 amateur yokozuna), and Haruki Furukawa (2017 East Japan champ at Nichidai). I think Furukawa and Osanai are still young enough to use the Sd100TD qualification if they wanted, though looks like Osanai will need some recovery time after this.

Individual Final 

Quarters and Semis

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 23/09/2019 at 13:59, Asashosakari said:

At the time of his serial winning ways until about five years ago I wouldn't have been surprised if Arakizeki would have been in the conversation for the most talented sumotori not to have gone pro. Nice to see he's still getting it done in his mid-30s.

Folks,  how far do you think Arakizeki would h ave gone in ozumo?    Ozeki?  Joi?  

Along with Nittaidai's Nakamura he might still have the most pure push power in amasumo, within the last year crushing the likes of current 14-0 college star Motobayashi, and I think he at least had very good potential for a sekitori career--tough to get really specific until someone's already turned pro. He does have balance/stability issues (partially stemming from the intensity of his attack I think) that make me doubtful of an elite rank like ozeki though.

Edited by Katooshu