Sign in to follow this  
Yamanashi

My new rank

I just noticed that I have reached Sanyaku at Komosubi.  Thanks to the powers that be and my supporters.  I will try to cut down on stupid posts so as not to dishonor Ozumoforum.  My koenkai has offered to commission a new kesho-mawashi, but after the strange comments I received for the first one, I politely declined.  Please continue to support me as I accelerate my level of gambarization.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Do you type your own messages, or do you have your tsukebito do it now? And if your tsukebito do it, and make a mistake, how do you discipline them? I’m asking for a friend.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Congrats. 

Make sure you strive to keep doing your style of posting.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

Do you type your own messages, or do you have your tsukebito do it now? And if your tsukebito do it, and make a mistake, how do you discipline them? I’m asking for a friend.

Thanks for your question.  It is a delicate matter.  I have tried to enter the same heya as Kintamayama, so that I won't have to verbally joust with him during a basho.  Most of the tsukebito are a little "snarky" (have I translated 皮肉な correctly?).  I'm currently using the heya's Sutenogurafa-yobidashi.

• Haha 2

With this post, I have reached the rank of Sekiwake.  Since my birth, 48 rikishi in Ozumo have reached this exalted level without going farther.  It is a sobering reminder that the mountain has a top, and the other side is downhill.  On the other hand: unless the Moderators begin deducting comments, I won't be demoted.

I reckon that my win-loss ratio for quality comments is about 580-420 over my career so far, though it is disturbing to think that more of them have come earlier in my career rather than later.

The path to Ozeki is daunting; but I can only do forward-moving posts from now on.  The morning rituals have always been the same: coffee-drinking, comment-reacting to the daily limit, and the physical and moral training that comes with 200 clicks every session.

I set my eyes forward and cling to the truth of that saying repeated time and again on NHK interviews: それが私が思うことです    はい.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

With this post I have been elevated to the rank of Forum Ozeki.

It is a humbling event.  I came to Sumo fandom in early 2017 when I started watching the daily Makuuchi digests on NHK World.  I later found tachiai.org and finally SumoForum, which I joined in September of 2017.

1500 posts is a lot, and I realize that when calculated on a per diem basis it’s about 1.3 posts per day; maybe I haven’t wasted that much time on this hobby, but I wonder if I can make it to Yokozuna in 2023.

I’ve been reflecting over a suitable yojijukugo as is customary for a shin-Ozeki.  My Japanese is non-existent, so I tossed around English phrases like “always katchi-koshi, seldom double digits” which seems to fit the career path of the modern Ozeki.  However, I believe I’ve found an appropriate four-kanji slogan:

食山書真 , with the figurative meaning “Eat Mountain, Write Truth”.  This seems to combine the traits of actual rikishi (put on lots of weight) with the goal of any writer who wants to “live positively” (as they say in the doramas).

This phrase comes not from the usual sources in Chinese court literature of the 7th century, but from the pen of Hashimoto Tsunenobu (1670 – 1735), friend of the painter Ogata Korin and author of such books as “Story of a Fallen Sakura Blossom” and “Drunkard’s Guide to Edo Cookshops.”

I will of course gambarize as always, and I look forward to lots of verbal degeiko on the Forum and perhaps lending my ear to promising up-and-comers. はい

• Like 3
  • Haha 3