Sign in to follow this  
Kaminariyuki

Women in sumo? Around the world and in Japan

As for my irrelevant 2 cents: I don't watch female athletes for one simple reason. To me they are boring to watch.
For the same reason I don't watch soccer, tennis or racing sports, regardless of the participating athletes' gender.
Am I suppressing women or discriminating against them because of my preferences? No, of course not.
Am I afraid of them? No, LOL.

On 18/09/2019 at 18:37, Thundersnow said:

(...) A few of the folks who are ragging on Enho got me thinking, though, if some people are opposed to a small rikishi who is outside the norm, what would they think of women competing? (...)

I guess I'm one of those folks ;)
Enho isn't the only small rikishi. His size doesn't matter to me, I enjoy the diverse body types and wrestling styles in sumo. I just don't like the arguably overblown hype about him, especially by new sumo fans (to quote a Youtube comment: "Enho basho or we riot!" - ehhh? XD).

Edited by MrGrumpyGills
  • Haha 1

Little Miss Sumo - a new film is out on Netflix

Maybe the shinto crew should throw back a few nihonshu and just go wild and try to embrace a modern perspective? One can accept change without completely giving up on tradition. Women are human beings. They should probably have the same rights as men, IMO. Regardless of the dissenters among us, I still think it's cowardly to do anything else. 

• Like 2

Perhaps women should be fully integrated into Ozumo: no weight classes (demeaning!), integrated heya, etc.  Don't "@" me, haters.

• Like 1

This is a sport where there's an almost 50 year old man, there recently was someone who weighed three times as much as a baby elephant, and whatever Hattorizakura is, at the same time, with no weight class, theoretically any one of them could be put up against one another. I see no reason, having said that, not to let women compete.

• Like 1