Yubinhaad

Izutsu-oyakata has died

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

A present tsukebito - and Shohoryu has started this year to do the yumitori-shiki as such - but apparently not at the basho so far

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 13:36, Akinomaki said:

Shohoryu did the yumitori-shiki at the jungyo in Hakodate - he's a tsukebito of Kakuryu. At the 20 days of the jungyo till then, the task was shared equally between him and Hakuho's tsukebito Kasugaryu, who is the main performer since the Haru basho last year, and lately without a regular replacement. For the jungyo favorite shokkiri, the jungyo top took care to have a 3rd man as replacement, but the yumitori rikishi had none for a while. At the Haru jungyo in April, jungyo no 2. Hanakago asked Shohoryu if he can do it. At that jungyo he performed 3 times, but thought it "A total disaster". This time he practiced in between tsukebito duties, and maybe he'll get 3 days to perform at the Aki basho next.

It's been 24 years since a mid-basho change of performer happened, and that was due to kyujo. I would have been amazed if it had happened here just for the sake of it, frankly.

On 18/09/2019 at 10:34, Kintamayama said:

I heard that Shikoroyama was ready to absorb them but Izutsu had specifically asked to remain in the ichimon, so Tokitsukaze beya will be absorbing them. That's what I heard.. 

Where would you want Kakuryu to go?  What heya would offer the best match?

My evil twin thinks Kak should transfer to Miyagino, just so we could watch the brains explode ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

Where would you want Kakuryu to go?  What heya would offer the best match?

Tokitsukaze, definitely. I do think , however, that he won't be around for very long.

• Like 1

On 21/09/2019 at 08:36, Sakura said:

Kakuryu would have no shortage of possible dohyo-iri attendants at Oitezake with Endo and the Daishos. In addition to the 7 sekitori there are 13 lower-division rikishi.

On the other hand, Tokitsukaze has 15 rikishi of whom 3 are sekitori. But that includes current attendant Shodai (who might be delighted not to have to face Kakuryu ever again). The stable also contains Shohoryu (Kakuryu's former tsukebito???)

I wonder if there’s anyone in the ichimon that Kakuryu would rather never face again. He should angle for a move to that rikishi’s heya.

5 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

I wonder if there’s anyone in the ichimon that Kakuryu would rather never face again. He should angle for a move to that rikishi’s heya.

I am pretty sure that rikishis' preferences don't play a major role here. Maybe they will ask for Kakuryu's opinion, but in the end it's more about historical affiliation with other heya within the ichimon, personal connections between oyakata or which heya can actually provide enough space for a merge (fair enough, only 3 wrestlers are rather easy to handle).

Edited by Raishu

I'm pretty sure that Eikokurai wasn't being entirely serious there :-)

I think it's a shame that it looks like Izutsu beya will disappear, given its history of connections to the Fukuzono family. I wonder if Shikoroyama now regrets leaving the Nishonoseki ichimon.

Edited by ryafuji

Today was the wake for Izutsu-oyakata at Izutsu-beya - about 600 attended

20190924-185452-1-0003_m.jpgvid

201909240000584-w200_0.jpgob_12730183.jpgob_12730212.jpgo   b_12730213.jpgo b_12730182.jpgo sum19092418330004-m1.jpgo  116222020.jpgoorigin_1.jpgo

20190924-OHT1I50216-N.jpgosum19092418330004-m2.jpgo 20190925s00005000016000p_thum.jpgo

116222371.jpgo 116222340.jpgo spo1909240035-n1.jpgo  201909240000846-w200_1.jpgo  m.jpgo     201909240000846-w200_0.jpgo 201909270000827-w200_0.jpgo b_12730208.jpgo

20190924-OHT1I50218-N.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 3

Today was the funeral service for Izutsu-oyakata at the heya

spo1909250023-n2.jpgoorigin_1.jpgo201909250000859-w200_1.jpgo spo1909250023-n3.jpgo spo1909250023-n4.jpgo4.jpgo

the widow and the eldest daughter

201909250000859-w200_0.jpgo

4.jpgo 20190925s00005000492000p_thum.jpgob_12734009.jpgo 20190926-OHT1I50007-N.jpgo 4.jpgo4.jpgo 4.jpgo 4.jpgo

videos outside the heya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bQ96IFR2T0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xauHaUDO0A4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nylNk6S7A8

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

The rijikai today has not decided on the heya the 3 rikishi and the tokoyama of Izutsu-beya will switch to. Michinoku-beya now seems the most likely  - Kirishima was the ozeki raised by the former Izutsu, the father of the now deceased Izutsu. http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20190926/sum19092622200008-n1.html

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Looks like Michinoku it is according to this article.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201909260001191.html

Essentially the same facts as in the Sanspo article Akinomaki linked, just the Nikkan journalist interpreting it as more of a done deal than his colleague does. It does sound like they've stopped investigating other options than Michinoku at the moment, but I'm not sure that means it's 100% certain to happen. From what's been said during the past days, I think Kakuryu would still prefer Tokitsukaze personally.

The Nikkan summary also indicates that Kakuryu tried to do what I speculated about earlier and attempted to find some heyaless oyakata in the ichimon who would step in as interim shisho for a while, but was unsuccessful in that. And ex-Terao supposedly offered to take them but was rejected by both his old ichimon (Tokitsukaze) and his current one (Nishonoseki).

5 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

I think this would be a prime opportunity for Kakuryu if he would like to be a toshiyori in the kyokai to take the Izutsu kabu when it becomes available.

Very true.

But what are the odds that he is actually planning a later career within the NSK?

So far, we only know the following: he hasn't become a Japanese citizen yet (well, things can happen quickly - I know), his wife and kids seem to live in Mongolia - not with him in Japan (this was mentioned after his last yusho, IIRC) and we haven't received any public statement from Kakuryu whether he wants to become an oyakata or not.

At this point, I am more inclined to believe that the Kyokai will lose another Yokozuna after his active career.

Note that every single foreign-born shisho (Takamiyama, Musashimaru, Kyokutenho, Kotooshu) married a Japanese wife, as did Hakuho. I think that would be the real barrier for Kakuryu if he wants to head a stable.

5 minutes ago, Kamitsuumi said:

Note that every single foreign-born shisho (Takamiyama, Musashimaru, Kyokutenho, Kotooshu) married a Japanese wife, as did Hakuho. I think that would be the real barrier for Kakuryu if he wants to head a stable.

I think WAKATAKE was referring to Kakuryu potentially becoming an oyakata - not necessarily taking over or re-establishing Izutsu-beya.

But your observation surely is accurate (but things can change, as we all know ... ;-)).

Later articles confirm that the rikishi and tokoyama will move to Michinoku-beya.

Spoiler

Sad to see more empty space than name plates on a ranking board.

ExuaMxuR_o.jpg

PgR0UNRv_o.jpg

bS42qkqL_o.jpg

lQ7w2fPD_o.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 2

This is horribly sad news, knowing he was so young. It's quite frightening knowing how fast pancreatic cancer can take somebody, as we saw with Chiyonofuji.