code_number3

2019 Aki Basho Discussion (spoiler alert!)

15 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

Right shoulder dislocated. Possibly going kyujo.

My poor baby...(Weeping...)

Looks like the monkey isn't fit for flying anymore - Tobizaru limped after the bout

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Looks like the monkey isn't fit for flying anymore - Tobizaru limped after the bout

It was that or fly out of the dohyo and risk a torinaoshi due to a shinitai situation. The price one pays for keep one leg inside the bale while doing the split to avoid dohyo contact. 

After yesterday’s defeat, Enho-mania came roaring back again today. 

Takakiesho is 5-0.  Who'd have thought that start?    He's half way to getting his Ozeki rank back.   With Takayasu & Hak out, Takakeisho may just do it.   100 yen says he gets at least 10 wins.

• Like 1

Mainoumi analysis of Takakeisho's win against Hokutofuji today "We could see the impact of the weight difference between the two, not only Takakeisho is heavier but his sumo and his strikes are heavy. Hokutofuji was losing the oshi battle so he tried to move around and when he attacked he threw himself at Takakeisho to generate more power but lost his balance"

• Like 3

Is my query incorrect, or is it really uncharted territory for an ozekiwake to take the yusho?

And yes, I'm knocking on wood at the moment.

Edited by Koorifuu
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Koorifuu said:

Is my query incorrect, or is it really uncharted territory for an ozekiwake to take the yusho?

And yes, I'm knocking on wood at the moment.

Yes. For one there haven’t been that many successful returns to Ozeki.

I've thought this for a while now but I think Asanoyama will be the next Ozeki and probably the next Yokozuna (the only one who will beat him to the latter is Takakeisho).

Also, is Aoiyama carrying an injury or is he just not doing very well?

Also, also, Endo 4-1 in Sanyaku... finally healthy and learned how to win tough.

Edited by Morty

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Takakiesho is 5-0.  Who'd have thought that start?    He's half way to getting his Ozeki rank back.   With Takayasu & Hak out, Takakeisho may just do it.   100 yen says he gets at least 10 wins.

Hardly a generous offer as he must be clear favourite to achieve the 10 now.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Morty said:

I've thought this for a while now but I think Asanoyama will be the next Ozeki and probably the next Yokozuna (the only one who will beat him to the latter is Takakeisho).

Nothing personal against your assumption, but what exactly makes you think that he will be the next Ozeki (and that he will be able to get the rope eventually)?

This is only his second basho in the Joi-ranks, we basically do not know anything about his long-term performance against the highest ranked opposition. I don't want to take away any credit for his Yusho, but this was mostly achieved by wins against lower ranked Makuuchi Rikishi and fueled by a struggling (or non-present) top group. So I don't regard this as an indicator neither.

I hope he will prove me wrong, but so far I can't see anything that makes him different from other former collegiate Rikishi who are Sanyaku material, but struggle to move to the very top after they have reached Sekiwake (Shodai once showed potential but has vanished ever since, Mitakeumi still lacking consistency and with only one double digit record in Sanyaku so far).

2 minutes ago, Raishu said:

Nothing personal against your assumption, but what exactly makes you think that he will be the next Ozeki (and that he will be able to get the rope eventually)?

This is only his second basho in the Joi-ranks, we basically do not know anything about his long-term performance against the highest ranked opposition. I don't want to take away any credit for his Yusho, but this was mostly achieved by wins against lower ranked Makuuchi Rikishi and fueled by a struggling (or non-present) top group. So I don't regard this as an indicator neither.

I hope he will prove me wrong, but so far I can't see anything that makes him different from other former collegiate Rikishi who are Sanyaku material, but struggle to move to the very top after they have reached Sekiwake (Shodai once showed potential but has vanished ever since, Mitakeumi still lacking consistency and with only one double digit record in Sanyaku so far).

Gut feeling :-). He just seems to have the luck and the ability to get it done. I'm probably wrong. I usually am.

3 hours ago, Rainoyama said:

Mainoumi analysis of Takakeisho's win against Hokutofuji today "We could see the impact of the weight difference between the two, not only Takakeisho is heavier but his sumo and his strikes are heavy."

Takakeisho heavier than Hokutofuji?? Not in my world...

Edit: Ok, I've just checked on NattoSumo's video where Takakeisho is listed at 169kg and Hokutofuji at 161kg. Still not my world...

Edited by Jakusotsu

39 minutes ago, Raishu said:

Enho aside, he’s arguably the most accomplished grappler among the young Japanese hopefuls right now and time-honoured wisdom suggests one needs a decent yotsu game to make Yokozuna. That gives him an edge. Moreover, he only needs to be better than his peers, and let’s face it the competition isn’t that spectacular. 

Thoughts and questions for today:

1. Is a Enho v. Ishiura match possible this tourney? I would love to see them go at it.

2. I've been noticing the crowd at these events has a great ratio of women to men. I can't think of any other sport that has a spectator ratio of women to men as even as Sumo. Has Sumo always been this way? 

Edited by nelimw

Good win for Tochinoshin. I was surprised to see him go for a pull down with the head given the call Day 4. I'm sure Tomokaze didn't expect that either explaining the easy win. he has Tamawashi Day 6 whish should be interesting. Tamawashi looks better this basho and has a rest today but he still seems a bit off so I give the edge to Tochinoshin. 

Takakeisho looks incredible.  I didn't expect the leg to bother him but I didn't expect him to look so sharp either. I don't know about the yusho but I think his 10 wins are in the bag, barring injury. 

I don't know about Asanoyama's future but  given the state of the ranks it's looking pretty bright.  How Goeido handles him Day 6 will say a lot about Goeido's chances for the yusho this basho.  Asanoyama will have some competition in Tomokaze who is not looking terrible facing the Sanyaku and still has a lot of technique yet to learn. 

Very sad about Ichinojo but dislocations usually heal well.  He should have a easy time next basho against the lower rankers.

5 minutes ago, nelimw said:

1. Is a Enho v. Ishiura match possible this tourney? I would love to see them go at it.

it's not possible in any basho unless they face each other in a playoff for the Yusho. They are in the same heya. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, nelimw said:

Thoughts and questions for today:

2. I've been noticing the crowd at these events has a great ratio of women to men. I can't think of any other sport that has a spectator ratio of women to men as even as Sumo. Has Sumo always been this way? 

The only way you’ll see them fight is at keiko, since the chance of even one of the two making a yusho playoff is negligible and for both to make it is essentially nil.

10 minutes ago, Rocks said:

it's not possible in any basho unless they face each other in a playoff for the Yusho. They are in the same heya. 

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

The only way you’ll see them fight is at keiko, since the chance of even one of the two making a yusho playoff is negligible and for both to make it is essentially nil.

If that happened, I dare say we'd see Hakuho's biggest smile ever.