code_number3

2019 Aki Basho Discussion (spoiler alert!)

I really enjoyed watching the Yutakayama / Tsurugisho bout with Japanese commentary because even though I don't speak Japanese, I know what the word Henka means and the commentator yelled it at exactly the same time I did

• Like 1

Judoka and Olympic gold medalist (73kg weight class) was at the sumo today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rainoyama said:

Ichinojo's injury looks serious I think he broke his arm :(

Right shoulder dislocated. Possibly going kyujo.

3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

The sumo equivalent of “doing the treble”. I wonder how often that’s happened in a basho (specifally a win, a hansoku and a fusensho across three days).

The only more improbable way I can think of for Abi to win his next match would be by Yorikiri. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

Judoka and Olympic gold medalist (73kg weight class) was at the sumo today.

And his name is....?

36 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

The only more improbable way I can think of for Abi to win his next match would be by Yorikiri. 

I was thinking that the “quadruple” would be a win by a non-technique tomorrow, like isamiashi.

• Like 2

栃ノ心(右)は阿炎のまげをつかみ、反則負けとなる(撮影・小沢裕)

Lucky winner Abi revealed he thought he had lost and was surprised when he saw a monoii was called. "[A monoii?] why ?" he asked himself "I didn't feel anything [in my hair], I thought I had lost at first. I'm in good shape so I guess luck is my friend this basho" he confessed. https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201909110000914.html

Really bad luck for Kadoban ozeki Tochinoshin who is struggling to get wins so far.  He is now 1-3 and in big trouble. "I thought woops I'm touching hair so I pulled my hand away right away though" he said in the changing room. Then he looked at the replay again  "Aw ok my fingers are inside the hair..." he said with a sad face. "I couldn't hit well at the tachi ai nor get my grip but I did well to stop his attack and pushed him to the side. It's probably the first time I lose because of an hairpull" he added https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201909110000862.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Kinda weird for Shohozan and Endo to be a developing rivalry, but there it is. I'll be looking forward to their match-up every time from now on.

That was smooth as heck from Endo today. He seems really switched on this basho.

Cautiously optimistic about Mitakeumi maybe getting his mojo going. We'll see.

I hope Ichinojo is ok...

Thoughts and Questions

1. Shohozan practically had Enho in a headlock. Is it a legal move to make someone tap-out like in MMA? 

2. I'm I the only one that keeps confusing Okinoumi with Ryuden?

3. Endo with that footwork at the edge! Incredible! 

4. Can Kak go back-to-back? The way he handled Ichinojo was dope. 

2 hours ago, nelimw said:

1. Shohozan practically had Enho in a headlock. Is it a legal move to make someone tap-out like in MMA? 

If they touch down it's over so in a way, yes. That is practically what Shohozan was trying to achieve, get an unbreakable grip and let Enho wear himself trying to throw Shohozan. In the end Enho crumbled.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nelimw said:

Thoughts and Questions

There's no tap-out in sumo. It is also illegal to choke the opponent. You can push on the throat or grasp the opponent in a headlock, but if it becomes a chokehold, that is forbidden and the match will be awarded to the opponent. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rainoyama said:
栃ノ心(右)は阿炎のまげをつかみ、反則負けとなる(撮影・小沢裕)

Lucky winner Abi revealed he thought he had lost and was surprised when he saw a monoii was called. "[A monoii?] why ?" he asked himself "I didn't feel anything [in my hair], I thought I had lost at first. I'm in good shape so I guess luck is my friend this basho" he confessed. https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201909110000914.html

Really bad luck for Kadoban ozeki Tochinoshin who is struggling to get wins so far.  He is now 1-3 and in big trouble. "I thought woops I'm touching hair so I pulled my hand away right away though" he said in the changing room. Then he looked at the replay again  "Aw ok my fingers are inside the hair..." he said with a sad face. "I couldn't hit well at the tachi ai nor get my grip but I did well to stop his attack and pushed him to the side. It's probably the first time I lose because of an hairpull" he added https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201909110000862.html

As soon as monoii was called, I knew it was the hair pull.  Replay didn't show the pull clearly.   Thanks for the post.    The camera remained on Tochinochin for a while and he seemed to be working hard to control his disappointment.  

Shohozan's headlock on Enho was different than others' in that he gave it a hard try to twist Enho's neck.   That was alarming.   what if someone much bigger and stronger try the same move on Enho's neck.   Ouch.

48 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

As soon as monoii was called, I knew it was the hair pull.  Replay didn't show the pull clearly.   Thanks for the post.    The camera remained on Tochinochin for a while and he seemed to be working hard to control his disappointment.  

Shohozan's headlock on Enho was different than others' in that he gave it a hard try to twist Enho's neck.   That was alarming.   what if someone much bigger and stronger try the same move on Enho's neck.   Ouch.

I thought Kotoyuki's hair pull on Enho yesterday was more severe, if not as obvious to the gyoji. Even though Tochinoshin's fingers were inside the hair it looked like he was only pushing the back of the head, whereas Kotoyuki actually seemed to be pulling the hair (again, it wasn't obviously intentional). Could be the gyojis decided to cumulatively try to be more aware of the hair pulls after they watched replay last evening.

49 minutes ago, Thundersnow said:

I thought Kotoyuki's hair pull on Enho yesterday was more severe, if not as obvious to the gyoji. Even though Tochinoshin's fingers were inside the hair it looked like he was only pushing the back of the head, whereas Kotoyuki actually seemed to be pulling the hair (again, it wasn't obviously intentional). Could be the gyojis decided to cumulatively try to be more aware of the hair pulls after they watched replay last evening.

Yeah, Kotoyuki's hair pull on Enho was pretty obvious.   Had Kotoyuki won, it may have been overturned anyway if shimpans were awake and called monoii.   As was, Enho pulled out an amazing win so nothing happened of the hair pull.  However, Tochi-Abi match's gyoji didn't call the hair pull and gave the win to Tochi, hence, the monoii.   I am glad the shimpan on the "hair pull side" called a monoii.   Kudos to him.

5 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

... gyoji didn't call the hair pull ....   I am glad the shimpan on the "hair pull side" called a monoii.   Kudos to him.

I don't remember a gyoji ever calling a hair-pull foul.  It is always a shimpan call.

When he puts his mind to it, Goeido can look strong enough to make you wonder why he doesn't always put his mind to it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asojima said:

I don't remember a gyoji ever calling a hair-pull foul.  It is always a shimpan call.

Can a gyoji call a hairpull? It can only be discussed post-bout and I’ve only ever heard that a mono-ii can be called by someone sitting ringside. The gyoji obviously is not ringside so I don’t know if he has the right to challenge his own declaration, though you’d think that if it’s for a hansoku he should be, since he can’t call it mid-bout.

2 hours ago, Sue said:

When he puts his mind to it, Goeido can look strong enough to make you wonder why he doesn't always put his mind to it.

You’ve just described almost everyone on Earth. :)

It’s hard work putting your mind to it all the time, so most of us only bother some of the time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dwale said:

There's no tap-out in sumo. It is also illegal to choke the opponent. You can push on the throat or grasp the opponent in a headlock, but if it becomes a chokehold, that is forbidden and the match will be awarded to the opponent. 

I noticed watching the replay for that match, that shortly after Shohozan put on that hold it looked like Enho tapped his arm to indicate that he was choking him, and Shohozan noticeably  changed the hold slightly to take the pressure off his throat. He didn't release it obviously but he changed it so it wasn't a choke hold

• Like 1

Wakaichiro just had an entertaining win against Komanokuni, if anyone can find a video of it.