code_number3

2019 Aki Basho Discussion (spoiler alert!)

Just now, Benihana said:

Tochinoshin and Takakeisho switching positions twice in the same direction should be something unseen before. My command over the DB query is not well enough to prove that.

I believe only half a dozen sekiwake have ever made it back to Ozeki this way, so you can probably search manually easily enough.

7 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I believe only half a dozen sekiwake have ever made it back to Ozeki this way, so you can probably search manually easily enough.

Manual labour on a sunday? You savage (Laughing...) And yes, it's something new.

• Haha 1

Mitakeumi looked focused. The way he dispatched Endo made it look easy. And mad props to Goeidou for getting his 10 wins and kind of looking ozekish this tourney. I think Tochinoshin has learned his lesson not to face Goeidou while injured when nothing is on the line. 

Nice show of sportsmanship by Tochinoshin, who seemed completely happy for Mitakeumi, congratulating him following his yusho despite himself losing his Ozeki rank.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Taikoubana said:

The macaron is green!

Yes it is. 

Takakeisho said  after the defeat that he felt pain in one of his pectoral muscles, let's pray he is not injured again...

2 hours ago, Benihana said:

Shodai just got thrown by Kotoyuki (isn't that an oxymoron?). I hope he feels as humiliated as i feel humiliated from what he showed us this basho.

EDIT: I'm used to Shodai getting blundered, when in the joi, but a 3-12 is something new. His worst basho ever. He never had only 3 wins before.

I noticed  in this basho that many are going for Shodai's vulnerable neck, even Kotoyuki.   He really needs to get his head down at Tachi-hai.   

4 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

If I'm reading https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/09/22/0012723452.shtml correctly, it's a little more creative than that: The two shukun-sho are conditional on the particular candidate winning the yusho, while Mitakeumi's kanto-sho is conditional on him not winning the yusho.

(Corrections welcome though...)

Indeed, correct.

Mitakeumi said that after he got up in the morning, his heyamates were making preparations for his yusho, and he thought that well, I gotta win now. On Abema TV, the former Wakanohana said that Mitake was so cute in the interview, and he feels there is a new generation fighting these days.

• Like 2

Congrats to Mitakeumi. I was hoping for Takakeisho to claim the yusho but Mitakeumi brought his best Sumo today and I had the gut feeling that he'd win in a play-off. I hope he can get his Ozeki promotion next basho, but I don't think a 11-4 performance will suffice. Maybe with 12 (quality) wins he can make it. We will see...

To me one of the standouts this basho is Daieisho and I'm happy for him getting his KK. He faced most of the top guys of this basho and even beat Kakuryu, overall a great performance. 

• Like 1

A perfect ending to the Aki basho. Yes that is sarcasm. (Thinkingindepth...)

I hope Kyushu is better than this....

• Like 1

A Yusho instead of a kanto-sho? Mitakeumi'll take that any day. Hope Takakeisho will be fine for November, things are more interesting when he's around.

I get the feeling it's not the last Yusho showdown for these two. Nice job by Ishura beating Tamawashi for KK. Lobster boy Kotoyuki has a nice basho and looked powerful. And I think Hokotofuji finished up winning 8 straight . 

Congrats to Mita !

Damn, really wanted Takakeisho to win but had a feeling go into the playoff that Mitakeumi would take it for the reasons I stated earlier in this thread. Happy for Mitakeumi. Really hope Takakeisho is not injured. He is a big reason why I even watch sumo in the first place!

• Like 1

Congratulations to Mitakeumi on his second yusho, but I really hope it's not another flash-in-the-pan result. The bloke is clearly good enough to be ozeki; I just wish he'd get on with it now.

A question: how come Tamajiro was officiating the ketteisen, not Inosuke?

Edited by RabidJohn

29 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Congratulations to Mitakeumi on his second yusho, but I really hope it's not another flash-in-the-pan result. The bloke is clearly good enough to be ozeki; I just wish he'd get on with it now.

A question: how come Tamajiro was officiating the ketteisen, not Onosuke? 

Only sekiwake in the ketteisen, so it's a sanyaku gyoji

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Really happy Mitakeumi got his 2nd yusho. He looked very determined today. Hopefully he can carry this over into the next tournament and make an Ozeki run.

Biggest surprise on day 15 was Ishiura getting his KK by beating Tamawashi. Really impressive.

• Like 1

Good win by mitakeumi but I wonder about something

what does yusho winner do after those presentation until ending up in NHK’s studio? Quickly do the parade —> huge sake cup and fish presentation —> senshuraku party —> NHK Sunday Sports studio?

3 hours ago, Rainoyama said:

Takakeisho said  after the defeat that he felt pain in one of his pectoral muscles, let's pray he is not injured again...

It's also being reported he said that he felt the pain when he pushed at tachiai in the playoff bout. He had a pained expression when returning to the shitakubeya, along with labored breathing, so they iced the area and he gradually felt better. Says he'll gambarize back at ozeki.

• Like 2

I was expecting Tamawashi to launch Ishiura into the stands. That was quite a surprise.

Congratulations to Mitakeumi. It's been apparent for a long time that he has the potential for greatness. If only he were a bit more consistent... But ah, well. Who knows what the future holds?

Even though he came up short (see what I did there?), I feel like the story of this basho was more about Takakeisho's journey back to ozeki. Even being out of action for so long, and with light training coming in, he still managed a jun-yusho. That calls for congratulations in itself. Love him or hate him, he's the real deal.

• Like 2