code_number3

2019 Aki Basho Discussion (spoiler alert!)

Tochiozan tried to climb aboard the Kotoshogiku henka train and Giku wasn't having it this time. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Adil said:

Sakatottari from Terutsuyoshi! Always great to see rare kimarite.

And I was wondering how nice of Nishikigi to give a win to Teru.

That was the saddest henka attempt I have ever seen from Tochioan.

Shodai just got thrown by Kotoyuki (isn't that an oxymoron?). I hope he feels as humiliated as i feel humiliated from what he showed us this basho.

EDIT: I'm used to Shodai getting blundered, when in the joi, but a 3-12 is something new. His worst basho ever. He never had only 3 wins before.

Edited by Benihana

Just now, Kaninoyama said:

Great job by Ishiura getting inside and going straight at Tamawashi for the kachikoshi win.

Arguably demonstrating a useful side effect of being known to henka in high profile situations - Tamawashi seemed quite wary of it and left himself terribly open for the inside sneak there at the tachiai.

• Like 2

Abi clearly hurt his ankle in the initial match and tried to henka his way to a torinaoshi win, but the matta thwarted his plans, and he was helpless against Myogiryu's attack. Still, with a second straight komisubi kachikoshi, he's proving he belongs in sanyaku.

Edited by Kaninoyama

1 minute ago, Otokonoyama said:

Ikioi and Chiyonokuni pose as winners of juryo and makushita.

And if i'm not completely wrong, both should have another shot at it next basho. Did we have the situation of 2 ex-Makuuchi simultaneously winning Ms and J yusho in the past?

I'm watching Ireland smash Scotland in the rugby, so missed all the sumo, but seeing the comments about the playoff has prompted me to tune in just for that. Great finish to the basho. Just in time for the half-time break as well. 

Edited by Eikokurai

3 minutes ago, Benihana said:

And if i'm not completely wrong, both should have another shot at it next basho. Did we have the situation of 2 ex-Makuuchi simultaneously winning Ms and J yusho in the past?

Yeah, it might be uncommon, not completely unexpected. Homasho and Tochinoshin did it once in 2014.

• Thanks 1

Just now, robnplunder said:

I am going to predict Mitakeumi's yusho.   :-)

I predict oshi-zumo.

Well, everyone in the comments box ruined the result, so the sense of drama was lost for me. Oh well. 

Commiserations to Takakeisho, but at least he has his Ozeki rank back as the consolation.

Tochinoshin and Takakeisho switching positions twice in the same direction should be something unseen before. My command over the DB query is not well enough to prove that.