code_number3

2019 Aki Basho Discussion (spoiler alert!)

A spectacular start to the basho, lots of exciting matches for the day. Enho really got the crowd going, Asanoyama and Hokutofuji bringing their A game on the first day. Tochinoshin not in good shape at all, if he wrestles like that all the first week, we'll be seeing sekiwake Tochinshin next basho. Takakeisho really fought to get that win, and now it's M-9 for our roly-poly man!

12 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Depends. If his injury is so bad he just can’t do sumo at all, sure, he should retire; but if he can compete at a lower level, why not do as Kotoshogiku did and carry on getting paid for a bit longer?

A bit different here - Tochinoshin's wife and kids are in Georgia rather than Japan, and maybe he'd like to spend time with them and watch his kids grow up, rather than living in the heya with a bunch of guys? And he doesn't speak great Japanese.

6 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Due to typhoon 15 coming, the torikumi in the morning of day 2 start 30minutes later, at 9:10h - JR trains stop. The planned end at 18h is the same - shikiri and other slack time will be reduced. Before the 18:00h end became fix in 1961, they once had to finish the day at 16:30h due to a typhoon - to achieve this then the 4min shikiri time was cut to 2min. http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASM9863N2M98UTQP01Z.html

3 observations, because the trains don’t start running until 8am at the earliest...

Rikishi not near ryogoku we’re hardest hit, the Sadotagake rikishi only reach the station at 10am.

The specialty snack shop on the 2nd floor are still stocking and arranging their bentos 

you can actually still get one of the 400 daily tickets even at 10am without having to queue (normal SOP is to camp outside the kokugikan at 5am to purchase at 8am)

edit: the lower division torikumi is out of whack as some of the earlier Jonidan matches have been delay until post Sandanme in the scheduling. 

Edited by rhyen

Terunofuji looked like a clone of the Ikioi mummy of late - but he moved better and had an decisive  win - before him Jokoryu won as well, shortly after Sagatsukasa - mid makushita is filled with former makuuchi.

Roga with mage looks different and he lost like he lost his sumo abilities - but opponent Keitenkai is former juryo

Maybe he just entered to perform a dohyo-iri with his own to deshi -- the Dream Team -- just in case one of them drops out of Makuuchi next basho.

16 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

Why did Hakuho fight a rank and filer for the first time Day 1 as a Yokozuna?

Perfectly normal for a west-Yokozuna with depleted Sanyaku ranks (Takayasu).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jakusotsu said:

Perfectly normal for a west-Yokozuna with depleted Sanyaku ranks (Takayasu).

Are you serious? Not normal at all. We have had less competing sanyaku before and still a komusubi has fought Hakuho and Kakuryu when ranked Ywest. When we had 4 yokozuna yes it has but just two very strange indeed.

20 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

Are you serious?

Yes, and I'm sure Asashosakari will agree.

Edit: Ok, seems like I was too quick again with my reply. Digging a bit deeper I found Natsu 2015 with similar starting conditions but a different schedule. Hmm....

Edit2: Scratch that example - I need some glasses...

Edit3: Looks like there isn't any comparable case since Hakuho wasn't sole yokozuna anymore, at least I can't find any.

Edited by Jakusotsu

10 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

Are you serious? Not normal at all. We have had less competing sanyaku before and still a komusubi has fought Hakuho and Kakuryu when ranked Ywest. When we had 4 yokozuna yes it has but just two very strange indeed.

The first basho I ever physically attended about ten years ago Hakuho was the only Yokozuna and he fought the M1e on Day one (and won) (amazing to think Hak has been a dominant yokozuna for that long...)

1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:

Totally bizarre Hakuho dropping out like that. 

A basho with that few kensho on him was an insult to the GOAT. Now we can at least see Enho in his own kesho mawashi.

Seems that Ikioi's bandages are growing again - and Kaisei doesn't look like he'll get a kachikoshi this basho.

13 minutes ago, Morty said:

The first basho I ever physically attended about ten years ago Hakuho was the only Yokozuna and he fought the M1e on Day one (and won) (amazing to think Hak has been a dominant yokozuna for that long...)

When Morty? No info showing him fighting anything but komusubi.

Don’t know if the typhoon affected outstation stadiumgoers, they are some visible empty seats (both masu and normal chair seats).

27 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

With 28 intra-san'yaku matches to schedule, there was always going to be one on day 1 and another one on day two.  There's two yokozuna. (With more ozeki the math changes and they both fight komusubi on day 1.)

2 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

When Morty? No info showing him fighting anything but komusubi.

My apologies, my memory deceived me. I thought I went day one but it turns out it was day three (and it was Wakanasato). But he was the East Yok then not the west (don't know if that makes any difference)

• Thanks 1

Enho-mania has officially overtaken Mitakeumi, Asanoyama & Hokutofuji combined. 

18 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Enho-mania has officially overtaken Mitakeumi, Asanoyama & Hokutofuji combined. 

Throw in Endo-mania in the list, too. 

Where is Ura now?   The dude had a huge following.  

1 hour ago, Ryoshishokunin said:

With 28 intra-san'yaku matches to schedule, there was always going to be one on day 1 and another one on day two.  There's two yokozuna. (With more ozeki the math changes and they both fight komusubi on day 1.)

As a followup, if Takayasu hadn't withdrawn, something like 
1. Y1W-K1E Y1E-K1W
2. Y1E-M1W Y1W-M1E
Would have been the days 1 and 2 torikumi.   However, the schedulers effectively always defer the multiple-san'yaku matchdays as last as possible in the schedule.

Jakusotsu: Any basho with more than 1 yokozuna and 8 or fewer active san'yaku on day 1 will get you there.  Not sure when that last happened.

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Terunofuji looked like a clone of the Ikioi mummy of late - but he moved better and had an decisive  win - before him Jokoryu won as well, shortly after Sagatsukasa - mid makushita is filled with former makuuchi.

Roga with mage looks different and he lost like he lost his sumo abilities - but opponent Keitenkai is former juryo

• Like 1