code_number3

2019 Aki Basho Discussion (spoiler alert!)

Splat goes Takakeisho. Though Goeido did have a fistful of hair...

Edited by Otokonoyama

With two days left there are now 9 rikishi with a chance to win this basho: 4 at 10-3; and 5 at 9-4! 

Tsurugisho yusho incoming?

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Goooooeiiiiiiiidoooooo!

This basho is wider than wide open.

That stack of money, tho. Whoa! Goeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiidooooooooooooo!

And Tochinoshin. Never says die. How can you not love this guy? He epitomizes much of what is great about the sport.

Edited by since_94
  • Like 2

I love Takakeisho but though he will be ozeki in the next basho, he is not at the level of Takayasu and Goeido when they are healthy. Even against guys lower-ranked than he is who have more experience and who are more versatile, like Endo or Mitakeumi, I don't have the confidence that Takakeisho can consistently come out on top. My posts from this January have aged quite well unfortunately.

Takakeisho is still pretty young and might improve even further, despite the injury setback. When the post-Hakuho sumo era inevitably begins in 3-5 years, he'll be in a good position to dominate at or near the top of the banzuke.

Edited by Fukuyamada
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, wys said:

I love Takakeisho but though he will be ozeki in the next basho, he is not at the level of Takayasu and Goeido when they are healthy. Even against guys lower-ranked than he is who have more experience and who are more versatile, like Endo or Mitakeumi, I don't have the confidence that Takakeisho can consistently come out on top. My posts from this January have aged quite well unfortunately.

Even if that is true today (I don't believe it is), Takakeisho became an Ozeki at 22 with a Yusho under his belt. At the same age Takayasu and Goeido were still upper Maegashira, and would require several more years to even make Ozeki. Takayasu still has yet to yusho. 

Even though his Ozeki career has gotten off to a shaky start due to injury, I'll be keeping my money on Takakeisho to have the best career among the three. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, wys said:

Chiyotaikai. Dejima.

Goeido's always been a very intelligent rikishi, a fair amount of his losses comes from trying a risky move that doesn't pay off. His strategy today however was perfect.

One thing we know now of course is that this isn’t going to be better than a 12-win yusho.

Were gyojis today trying to make Inosuke look less bad or what?

Props to the people hyping up Tsurugisho's chances since a few days ago. Looks like he has a great chance of going 12-3 and perhaps being the only one to do so. Of course, it's anyone's game, even Goeido is back in with a shot now, though I doubt he has the cool to dispose of both Mitakeumi and desperate Tochinoshin (assuming the Georgian beats Myogiryu tomorrow).

4 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

With two days left there are now 9 rikishi with a chance to win this basho: 4 at 10-3; and 5 at 9-4! 

Tsurugisho yusho incoming?

Mathematically yes, but you only need one of the 10-3s to win tomorrow and the best the 9-4s can then do is hope for a play-off on senshuraku (presuming they also win tomorrow). But it would be the most awesome thing in sumo history if all the 10-3s lost and all the 9-4s won to have nine guys sharing the lead (which I don't think can actually happen as some of them are facing each other tomorrow, but it would be cool if it could...). I'd still put my money on either Takakeisho or Mitakeumi for the yusho though regardless of the mathematical permutations

• Like 3

Some great matches today, and the yusho is up in the air. Fun, fun, fun. I hope we get multiple playoffs on senshuraku.

Man, Tochinoshin! Ryuden strikes me as a mini-Tochinoshin sometimes, though he lacks that overwhelming power and so has to rely more on technique. But it was fun to see them in a belt battle. Glad Tochinoshin keeps his KK hopes alive for another day. With a little luck he should be able to handle a weakened Myogiru tomorrow.

There are only three individual's in the world who thought that Tsurugisho would be tying for the lead going into day 14, and they are Tsurugisho, his mum and his pet cat Reo.

The rest of the world (well, me anyway) assumed that a 28-year-old who had been in juryo since the late 18th century was having a cup of coffee in makuuchi- "Put it on your resume, it'll look good when you go for that coaching job". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Even if that is true today (I don't believe it is), Takakeisho became an Ozeki at 22 with a Yusho under his belt. At the same age Takayasu and Goeido were still upper Maegashira, and would require several more years to even make Ozeki. Takayasu still has yet to yusho. 

Even though his Ozeki career has gotten off to a shaky start due to injury, I'll be keeping my money on Takakeisho to have the best career among the three. 

Don't get me wrong, Takakeisho is my favorite and no one is disputing the fact that he is a prodigy, having accomplished so much at only 23. years of age. But I wasn't comparing Takakeisho to Goeido/Takayasu when they were 23 years old. I am comparing them as of now. If Takakeisho is having so much trouble against these two, who are probably past their prime, then I wonder how much further he can take his style of sumo. I honestly see more potential in Asanoyma, if he could only get his head right and stay consistent. I give it to Takakeisho though for sticking to his style of sumo and the main reason I like him so much is not because of his sumo but because of his personal qualities (confidence, mental fortitude, humility, tenaciousness, etc.) that have allowed him to climb the ranks so quickly. But I am afraid to say that personal qualities can only take you so far. Sumo is at the end of the day a physical sport.

• Like 1

I'm so happy with sumo right now, a bunch of new guys that are actually good.

I'm sure we won't see much of the same rikishi getting the yusho in the next couple of years until another Yokozuna is established.

Mitakeumi, Takayasu and Takakeisho are my hopes. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, dingo said:

What I really like about Enho is that even when he loses, he does so with a plan. Very rarely does lose with a simple quick forceout. Almost every loss is on his terms, so to say. 

Agreed. I know there's tons of Enho hype, but even aside from the remarkable success with his size, I love the kid's heart. While a few of us complained about one very close, but perhaps bad call, where the shinpans overrode the gyoji to change the call from correct to wrong, Enho did not complain in any way. He knew he'd been clobbered fair and square, and sometimes close calls don't go your way. He battles every match til the very end with everything he has, very much like Hakuho, IMO (there are many others, of course). Still hoping he has one more win in him this basho. We shall see. Either way, for a relatively new face in makuuchi at M11, even a 7-8 MK is doing pretty good. I'll bet Kotoshogiku takes him next time, though.

Takakeisho - got to love it. Really solid basho on returning from injury. I hope he goes on a major roll.

Tochinoshin - another of my personal favorites, I've not heard injury reports on him (maybe because he's nearly always injured?), but he just hasn't looked like he's at full speed. Not certain if it's physical or psychological, but I'm guessing the former.

5 hours ago, Dwale said:

Glad Tochinoshin keeps his KK hopes alive for another day.

Most probably last day will be Tochinoshin - Goeido. Even Tochinoshin  will win tomorrow, I do not think he is fit to defeat Goeido. May be next time :)

Edited by Akumazeki

10 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

Splat goes Takakeisho. Though Goeido did have a fistful of hair...

I'd give him the benefit of any doubt. Looked like a fairly open palm. And he was pushing straight down so need to grab anything.

• Like 1

Ryuden its a nice pal.

Omg if tsuruguisho (i dont even know how to spell his shikona...) wins the yusho wil be like...F*!Wtf!weacky mf* aki f* strikes again!

1 hour ago, Akumazeki said:

Most probably last day will be Tochinoshin - Goeido. Even Tochinoshin  will win tomorrow, I do not think he is fit to defeat Goeido. May be next time :)

There's always a chance, but I concede it's pretty slim.

3 hours ago, Akumazeki said:

If Goeido loses on Day 14 or drops out of the yusho race, I would almost bet on a Day 15 win for Tochinoshin.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Asojima said:

If Goeido loses on Day 14 or drops out of the yusho race, I would almost bet on a Day 15 win for Tochinoshin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1