code_number3

2019 Aki Basho Discussion (spoiler alert!)

What I really like about Enho is that even when he loses, he does so with a plan. Very rarely does lose with a simple quick forceout. Almost every loss is on his terms, so to say. 

Congratulations to Takakeisho. By no means my favourite rikishi, but I really appreciate his fighting spirit. I hope that his feat serves as an inspiration for other injured rikishi, sometimes is better to lose a rank, rest and come back healthy than fighting injured. His oyakata was right to prevent him to participate in July's basho.

2 hours ago, Benihana said:

Picture this: Takakeisho wins 3 in a row, gets promoted and does the olympic dohyo-iri.

I know your joking but the whole Hakuho Olympics thing is totally just from Hakuho and nobody else agreed yet. I feel like it's his litmus test - if they don't let him do it he is just going to return Mongolia when he retires.

If they happen to have exactly two healthy yokozuna at the time, one Japanese-born and one not, they could just have them do a sandan-gamae in place of a regular dohyo-iri and sell it as the ultimate in international / cross-cultural bonding...

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dwale said:

I was curious how Enho was going to approach Takarafuji. I think that might have worked against someone less experienced, but Takarafuji is such a veteran that he knew how to nullify Enho's offense and was never really in any trouble.

You forgot that Takarafuji also has Terutsuyoshi in his stable to practice against. And the ichimon group practice also gives him a chance to observe Ishiura & Enho.

44 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

I know your joking but the whole Hakuho Olympics thing is totally just from Hakuho and nobody else agreed yet. I feel like it's his litmus test - if they don't let him do it he is just going to return Mongolia when he retires.

So his Japanese citizenship was just a farce?

51 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

He’s not going to Mongolia. He’s taken Japanese citizenship, his wife is Japanese, his kids go to school here, he’s been in Japan more than half his life and, let’s face it, his prospects even outside of sumo would be much better in the country where he has made his name and which is a modern, advanced economy. As much as he may be proud of his Mongolian heritage, I peg Hakuho as a pragmatist. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rhyen said:

You forgot that Takarafuji also has Terutsuyoshi in his stable to practice against. And the ichimon group practice also gives him a chance to observe Ishiura & Enho.

The other factor is that the other rikishi are starting to figure him out. Earlier in the basho, after beating Enho Tsurugisho said that he just waited patiently for Enho to make the exact move he anticipated, and when he did, it was easy for him to respond accordingly. Takarafuji also seemed completely unfazed and totally prepared for whatever Enho was going to throw at him. 

3 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

The other factor is that the other rikishi are starting to figure him out. Earlier in the basho, after beating Enho Tsurugisho said that he just waited patiently for Enho to make the exact move he anticipated, and when he did, it was easy for him to respond accordingly. Takarafuji also seemed completely unfazed and totally prepared for whatever Enho was going to throw at him. 

In general I suspect rikishi who fit the "doing my own brand of sumo" stereotype (e.g. Kotoshogiku, Kotoyuki, etc.) have a harder time with Enho - he thrives on his opponents giving him something to respond to and exploit, so the guys like Takarafuji whose sumo is more of a reactive type as well seem to be better equipped to handle him.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Not sure the results suggest he's being figured out more, and Tsurugisho was already 3-0 vs him prior to this basho, so it was just the same old same old there. 

Edited by Katooshu

5 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Not sure the results suggest he's being figured out more, and Tsurugisho was already 3-0 vs him prior to this basho, so it was just the same old same old there. 

Well, I quoted what Tsurugisho actually said, which was that he basically had Enho figured out. Takarafuji and a couple of others seem to have as well.

But it simply may be as Asashosakari suggested: like everyone else, there are those against who Enho matches up well, and others who will likely always give him fits. 

Great stuff between Terunofuji and Chiyonokuni! Had a feeling Teru would slap him down the way Chiyo was playing, but once the latter lifted his center of gravity, it was over. Hope to see both of them in juryo and beyond by hatsu.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Well, I quoted what Tsurugisho actually said, which was that he basically had Enho figured out. Takarafuji and a couple of others seem to have as well.

But it simply may be as Asashosakari suggested: like everyone else, there are those against who Enho matches up well, and others who will likely always give him fits. 

This is one reason why I don't think Enho will ever get a chance at a sanyuku spot.   There always be enough rikishi in the top two divisions who can beat Enho's game.   

13 minutes ago, MrGrumpyGills said:

Ok, that was just lame, Ishiura...

Terutsuyoshi: Live by the henka, die by the henka.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Terutsuyoshi: Live by the henka, die by the henka.

That's definitely true.
I simply thought - finally there's an opponent equal in size and here Ishiura goes and henka's. Perfectly ok but extremely boring.

1 minute ago, MrGrumpyGills said:

I simply thought - finally there's an opponent equal in size and here Ishiura goes and henka's. Perfectly ok but extremely boring.

Also a good reminder for people that a pure lightweight division of sumo wouldn't all be fun and excitement either. ;-)

• Like 1