code_number3

2019 Aki Basho Discussion (spoiler alert!)

Spoiler alert: Asahiyutaka and Tatsunami are one and the same. (...which I even knew without googling B-))

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Spoiler alert: Asahiyutaka and Tatsunami are one and the same. (...which I even knew without googling B-))

You are so smrt.

I'm not a huge fan of Takakeisho's sumo (although I think he seems to be getting a little more versatile as of late), but I'm very impressed with him as a rikishi regardless. I'm happy that it worked for him to simply get healthy and get the rank back. He composed himself very well after the two kind-of-freakish losses, and that - to me - is an admirable quality in athletes of any sports. So, while I stated right in the beginning that I don't really like his Sumo, I do like the athlete Takakeisho and I'm happy for him. Not sure he can beat Goeido, though it really depends on which Goeido shows up. 

That being said, the outcome of the Yusho race is damn near unpredictable to me. If Takarafuji, Meisei and Okinoumi aswell as a debuting Tsurugoshi are in the Yusho race on Day 13, whoever figures this one out should buy lottery tickets. 

• Like 2

Finally getting to watch all the bouts. Loved Yutakayama’s reaction as he won. 

• Like 6

Looks like everyone missed the really surprising thing today: Kotoyuki had to turn but still managed to win his match!

I was curious how Enho was going to approach Takarafuji. I think that might have worked against someone less experienced, but Takarafuji is such a veteran that he knew how to nullify Enho's offense and was never really in any trouble.

Congratulations to Takakeisho. Now let's see if he can cinch the emperor's cup as well. I don't know if they would count that towards a yokozuna promotion or not, but he needs to win it first. It's an interesting hypothetical. My guess is that they would not count it, but maaaaaybe? If he does win it, and wins next time, I feel like they would at least have to toy with the idea.

Tochinoshin on some seriously thin ice. I'm cheering for him, but it ain't looking good. He's not about to henka three days in a row, and even if he did that wouldn't save his rank. Good luck, big guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Dwale said:

I was curious how Enho was going to approach Takarafuji. I think that might have worked against someone less experienced, but Takarafuji is such a veteran that he knew how to nullify Enho's offense and was never really in any trouble.

Takarafuji sprawled there like a top amateur wrestler or MMA Pro - textbook way to beat someone going for your legs. Takarafuji treated Enho with great respect there, used his size (and considerable strength) took his time and waited until he had the position to win it. A lot of the other rikishi who look like deer in the headlights when they have to face Enho should watch that bout and take note

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

You'll note I said discuss it. That's no guarantee they'll choose to promote. As Jakusotsu pointed out, it would be a first and it is anyone's guess. The speculation will be good fun.

If he were to go 13-2, (say with a 2 win buffer to the next best), after a Y, J-Y, and Gino-Sho consecutively in the previous three tournaments in which he was fit to compete, followed by yusho here where he was dominant, that would be a pretty fabulous run. And he had the stones to return in the first one he was injured in. Follow that with a 13-2 or better yusho next basho, that would be hard to argue with, and given the schedule he has had in all those bashos, is basically Yokozuna sumo for five consecutive basho in a row (obviously ignoring the ones he sat out injured).

Just speculating of course ;-)

Edited by Morty

40 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Finally getting to watch all the bouts. Loved Yutakayama’s reaction as he won. 

Yeah, I noticed it too. He surely enjoyed that win!

Another remark is that both Tochinoshin and Mitakeumi reacted the same way to Inosuke's matta call, and that's about as close as they could get to "What the f#($?". These's been about 10 tachiai in this whole basho that could have used a matta, and now we got that.

Edited by Koorifuu
  • Like 1

Thoughts for the day:

1. That Yutakayama roar today was pretty awesome
2. Is it just me or does Enho always look worried before his match and thoroughly confused after?
3. Goideo should have gotten 3 wins today... 
4. The way Tochinoshin and Mitakeumi looked at the gyoji LOLOLOL

• Like 1

No one talking about Tsurugisho? To me he is the standout performance of this basho, he looks pretty good technically, has a very strong lower body and got the brains too. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Morty said:

Enho just does what he needs to do to be competitive in an open weight combat sport where he is fighting guys who are sometimes literally twice their size. If he tried going chest to chest with his opponents he would never have made it out of Sandame, let alone to Makuuchi. His style is the only thing that allows him to compete (well the other option would be henka and we know how popular that would be as well....). I love watching Enho wrestle, and so do the Japanese crowds (who are really the ones who count). Anyone his size who has managed to make it to Makuuchi should be applauded not complained about

Well said. Of course I'd think so, since it's precisely my own opinion. Enho mixes it up pretty good, all things considered. He's good with some oshi-zumo or can yotsu-up, in his own style, of course. I'm guessing he's getting some extra attention and counseling from Hakuho, since he's kyujo. Probably a bit like having more than one oyakata? It's extraordinary in my opinion that he's so quickly battled his way up to M11. He's wily and fast and obviously quite strong. All attributes I also attribute to his beya's Yokozuna. If he can win one of his last three matches and goes KK, I'll do a little dance in front of my tv. 

• Like 1

With Tochinoshin being MK tomorrow, he will be trading places with Takakeisho (S <-> O) twice this year! 

Edited by Tsubame

I don't really have an opinion about Takakeisho's Yokozuna chances at the moment, but I was wondering - would he be the shortest Yokozuna ever?

7 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

I have no idea how they would weigh the ozekiwake factor in Takakeisho's case - if that would give him an edge over Hakuho's sekiwake near-yusho. I think he would have to win outright - no ties that force a playoff match, and no so-called soft 11 or 12 win yusho to even get a discussion started. He doesn't do that, the scant historical precedent holds and he'll need to make it three in a row if he wants to debut as a yokozuna in his "hometown" basho.

I thin two yusho may not do it.   But Takakeisho winning 3 basho in a row is doable with the top talent depleted state of basho these days.   Hak and Kak are past their primes and no one has stood up to take their spot.   Any young guns who can separate himself with the rest has a shot at becoming an Yokozuna post Hak & Kak era.   And by the looks of it, only Takakeisho seems to be up for it.   

19 minutes ago, MrGrumpyGills said:

I don't really have an opinion about Takakeisho's Yokozuna chances at the moment, but I was wondering - would he be the shortest Yokozuna ever?

According to this query, the 17th and 20th Yokozuna were both shorter than him by 5cm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, autotroph said:

According to this query, the 17th and 20th Yokozuna were both shorter than him by 5cm.

He'd be the shortest of the modern era though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, autotroph said:

Thank you very much! I checked the database first, but I'm really bad at using those queries :/

Takarafuji is always as cool as it gets. Sometimes he looks too relaxed and like he's not trying hard enough, but it's his own fairly effective way of doing things. 

Edited by Katooshu

4 hours ago, Morty said:

Takarafuji sprawled there like a top amateur wrestler or MMA Pro - textbook way to beat someone going for your legs. Takarafuji treated Enho with great respect there, used his size (and considerable strength) took his time and waited until he had the position to win it. A lot of the other rikishi who look like deer in the headlights when they have to face Enho should watch that bout and take note

Yep, 100%.

3 hours ago, nelimw said:

Thoughts for the day:
4. The way Tochinoshin and Mitakeumi looked at the gyoji LOLOLOL

Yeah, I noticed that. "You been hittin' the ganja, gyoji?"

• Haha 1

I don't know about Takakeisho's chances of being promoted to Yokozuna off winning this yusho and the next but if he does and manages that with 13 or better wins in each I would not be surprised by the promotion.  This would have been happening as Ozeki barring the injury.  I think though that even with it they may not simply because they would not want to chance losing a Takakeisho to injury and forced retirement as a result. As Ozeki he could come back from an injury. 

As for this Yusho I would say that if he beats Goeido Day 13 it's over. It's his. Even with a loss I would still say he's favored.

Edited by Rocks

42 minutes ago, Dwale said:

Yeah, I noticed that. "You been hittin' the ganja, gyoji?"

I know you're joking, although shochu and nihonshu would be much more plausible, still I'd think highly unlikely. And, it was a different Gyoji who tripped over the rice bails and fell from the Dohyo in an earlier Goeido match this basho wasn't it? Maybe we're looking at a changing of the guard in more than the sanyaku? Many odd matta and non-matta calls this basho, as well, and a few bad close calls, although I suppose the shinpan share credit there. Nobody's perfect.

Picture this: Takakeisho wins 3 in a row, gets promoted and does the olympic dohyo-iri.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3