code_number3

2019 Aki Basho Discussion (spoiler alert!)

2 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Would have never happened on Konosuke's watch.

Probably not.

Congrats on the win. (Iamnotworthy...)

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Back of Enho's heel touched down before he lifted it up.  You can get away with rolling your toes over or the side of the foot in a push but they won't give that to you when you aren't the aggressor. he was being pushed down. 

Agreed, because even the gyoji was shaking his head after the initial gunbai point.

If he saw it and pointed at the wrong direction, he knew that it was a saschigai coming up and didn’t bother to hide his disgust at himself. 

Poor Okinoumi. What a way to lose. At least he's still in the yusho hunt.

Great win by Asanoyama. He got spun completely around by Abi and then driven to the edge of the dohyo and still managed to pull off a win. Definitely a contender for this basho. 

Just witnessed the best match of the day, even the basho, between Asanoyama and Abi!   If you missed it, be sure to watch.

Enho's bout was also amazing.   

Okinoumi's bout was a dud but it opened up the yusho race wide open again.   I will still root for Okinoumi followed by Meisei to get the yusho.

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

At 4-5 with both Yokozuna kyujo, Tochinoshin is still drawing live to pull of a kachikoshi and save his Ozeki rank. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

I never thought I'd see Endo fall for a blatant henka.

Endo wanted that inside low grip he's been using to beat Tochinoshin bad. He was coming low and Tochi knew it.

21 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Just witnessed the best math of the day, even the basho, between Asanoyama and Abi!   If you missed it, be sure to watch.

Enho's bout was also amazing.   

Okinoumi's bout was a dud but it opened up the yusho race wide open again.   I will still root for Okinoumi followed by Meisei to get the yusho.

Fan of mental arithmetic?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

What I want to know is what happened with Tsugarisho and Takagenji? It's not like only  Tsgarisho was the only one to stop. They both stopped. It should have been a matta. 

The only one who can stop it - even if both rikishi agree it might be a matta - is the gyoji, so hats off to sharp minded Takagenji. He needs every win, no matta how he gets it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Fan of mental arithmetic?

Just testing if you are paying attention while working and watching sumo at the same time.   :-D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Just testing if you are paying attention while working and watching sumo at the same time.   :-D

No watching for me this time unfortunately. I changed jobs recently. I could probably just about get away with it but the office WiFi is rubbish anyway. 

41 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

At 4-5 with both Yokozuna kyujo, Tochinoshin is still drawing live to pull of a kachikoshi and save his Ozeki rank. 

Oh please, someone in Japan was asking for an 7-7 ozeki showdown on senshuraku.

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Just witnessed the best math of the day, even the basho, between Asanoyama and Abi!

sumomath.jpg.dedbf4bf14e2569c78b1606e37555cbe.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

Now I’ve seen the Azumaryu-Enho bout, I think we can look for precedent to the famous 1972 Hatsu basho nakabi bout between Takanohana and Kitanofuji. The latter touched down with his hand first but was given the abisetaoshi win as the former was ruled shinitai. 

Edited by Eikokurai
Changed Kitanoumi to Kitanofuji

Haven't had much to say because once a basho goes this far off the rails, there's nothing to do but hold on. 

Abi v. Asanoyama may not have been a display of technical prowess, but it was a superior display of vigor and fighting spirit! I was on the edge of my seat from start to finish. Great win for Asanoyama and just a hell of a match. 

Tochinoshin is in desperation mode, as well he might be. That was pretty funny, though.

I doubt anyone seriously expected Okinoumi to zensho, so this was coming sooner or later. Wide open basho, folks, grab on and enjoy the ride.

EDIT: Also, your periodic reminder that when Goeido is on, he's really on.

Edited by Dwale
Forgot something

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Now I’ve seen the Azumaryu-Enho bout, I think we can look for precedent to the famous 1972 Hatsu basho nakabi bout between Takanohana and Kitanofuji. The latter touched down with his hand first but was given the abisetaoshi win as the former was ruled shinitai. 

That would be perfectly reasonable if his hand had actually touched down first, rather than his knee.

58 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

That would be perfectly reasonable if his hand had actually touched down first, rather than his knee.

You may be taking the example a bit too literally. The principle is the same. (Have two sumo bouts ever played out exactly the same way?)

Azumaryu touched down first but was the clear instigator of an abisetaoshi move and thus Enho was considered dead in the same way Takanohana was. The kabaite isn’t a requirement for the rule to apply.

I'm joining officially the Asanoyama bandwagon now! Asa for Yokozuna!

When I noticed him first, he was struggling in lower Meagashira but I loved his style of Sumo which I consider extremely smart. Even when he lost. He lost a lot of bouts back then even when he shouldn't.

When he wins, he does so in a calm, superior style. When he loses, he does so because the opponent is better, but still he defends carefully till the end. I haven't seen a clumsy, silly move yet.

Now he seems to have added another page of his skills, to defend a defenseless position, and turn the tables. To win, when he shouldn't. Abi is of course not the top yardstick, but on the other hand dangerous to anybody and not known to easily dump bouts from a better position.

I do not overstate the Hiramaku Yusho, but it should also not be understated. I consider him still a level below Takayasu, Takakeisho, Mitakeumi which are the top challengers of the old guard. But I see a big deal of potential for him. I don't see it so much in the other three which appear to me to have more or less fully realized their potential (just my opinion).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

You may be taking the example a bit too literally. The principle is the same. (Have two sumo bouts ever played out exactly the same way?)

Plenty of Kotoshogiku's victories?

Still a bit miffed about the Enho v Azumaryu match. Look Enho has done this thing before: keep your knees bent and your butt off the floor and hang on to the bigger man as he comes down on top. There's a pretty good chance he will put a hand or knee down first.  It was exactly what Enho was looking to achieve at that point in the fight and he damn well got it.  Shini-tai should not apply when the "dead" man is trying to execute a winning move. But then again, I don't understand shini-tai. No-one does.

• Like 1