code_number3

2019 Aki Basho Discussion (spoiler alert!)

46 minutes ago, Morty said:

The Endo/Goeido, Enho/Kotoyuki and Tochinoshin/Hokotofuji matches were all great belt battles. True some of the other matches were a bit meh, but those three were awesome

The Ozeki matches I'll give you. At least they bother to do something. Enho/Kotoyuki? The match should have been called at Kotoyuki's blatant hair pull.  Even letting it go like they did the only belt grip was Enho's usual death grip on the crotch to prevent being pushed down while Kotoyuki backed himself out attempting and failing for the umpteenth time to push Enho down again. By that criteria Meisei/Terutsuyoshi was a great belt battle because Meisei touched his belt while pushing him out from behind. 

Just seeing some Juryo, at least that didn't look too bad. Yago-Kiribayama was a very good match. 

Edited by Rocks

24 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

What the hell was Myogiryu doing today, I wonder?? Baffling.

I think he thought Giku's knees are bothering him and that's why he's 0-2 so he went for the quick throw thinking Giku couldn't resist. But that isn't why Giku lost the first 2. Giku has not looked that bad so far really. 

We had some dud matches today, but some good ones, too. Enho managing a win from that was impressive. I don't think Kotoyuki meant to do the hair-pull, but he needs to be more careful. The shimpan do, too. I can only speculate that the fighters were at just the right angle to where the shimpan couldn't see it. Either that, or it's time to visit the eye doctor.

Enjoyed the Kotoshogiku bout, and glad to see Tochinoshin pick up a win finally. Still doubting he'll manage 8, unfortunately, but I'll be cheering for him.

Endo looked sharp in there against Goeido. Props to him.

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

Enho/Kotoyuki? The match should have been called at Kotoyuki's blatant hair pull. 

That's the most blatant hair pull I've seen in many bashos.   It is amazing Enho was able to withstand it.   

Not so many exciting matches on day 3 but there were some surprises so far  like Takakeishio going 3-0.

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

The match should have been called at Kotoyuki's blatant hair pull.

It doesn't work that way though, and I'm pretty sure you know that. 

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

The match should have been called at Kotoyuki's blatant hair pull.

It's my understanding that a hansoku can only overturn a result, not end the bout. In other words, the bout must finish one of the usual ways, with someone going down or out, and then shimpan can decide if the hair contact was significant enough to reverse the original call. 

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 4

On 08/09/2019 at 01:44, robnplunder said:

Enho is off to a good start.   I didn't see him beating Onosho.   I predicted Enho to go MK and I hope he proves me wrong.  

So, desu ne!

Edited by Thundersnow

2 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

It doesn't work that way though, and I'm pretty sure you know that. 

I know, but when it's that blatant the shimpan should have at least be able to throw up a hand. I don't think Kotoyuki meant to but his thumb was entirely stuck into his topknot. 

21 minutes ago, Rocks said:

I know, but when it's that blatant the shimpan should have at least be able to throw up a hand. I don't think Kotoyuki meant to but his thumb was entirely stuck into his topknot. 

One person's blatant hair pull is another's questionable judgement call, and I really don't think we or they need the inevitable Kyushu 2012-style farce of a stopped bout that shouldn't have been. 

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

With those mittens of cheat, which Kitanofuji has rightly called crap, there is no call but hansoku.

• Like 1

Quirky daily observation: Tamanoi-oyakata actually grabs some salt and offers it to his shimpan to sprinkle on themselves (a prayer against rikishi landing on them?)

Edited by rhyen

15 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Quirky daily observation: Takanoiwa-oyakata actually grabs some salt and offers it to his shimpan to sprinkle on themselves (a prayer against rikishi landing on them?)

Might you be thinking of someone else?

Wow, impressive throw by Hoshoryu against 199kg Asabenkei. That was a good sumo, there is a chance he finally gets to Juryo in November. Fingers crossed 

It is not surprising that Enho matches are the most sought after: he is a joy to watch. Fast, intelligent and resilient, he is someone that everyone can admire. I wonder where is his limit. Can he reach Sanyaku?

1 hour ago, Kotomiyama said:

It is not surprising that Enho matches are the most sought after: he is a joy to watch. Fast, intelligent and resilient, he is someone that everyone can admire. I wonder where is his limit. Can he reach Sanyaku?

IMO, I don't think he will ever make it to a sanyuku spot.   There is a limit on what he could do with his small body frame against mid/joi makuuchi riksihis.   Eking out a KK against low Maegishiras were possible but doing the same against mid-maegishira and joi rikishi is going to be a different story.   But I have been often wrong with my predictions so there is hope.

Takakeisho easily dispatched Tomokaze and is 4-0.    The longer the basho goes, he will get better.  Things are looking good for him to take back an Ozeki rank.

Edited by robnplunder

It sucks for Tochi but he clearly grabbed that hair, the rule is the rule...

• Like 1

Abi quietly putting together a nice 3-1 Komusubi start consisting of an earned win, a fusensho, and today another win by a hair-pull hansoku. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

9 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Abi quietly putting together a nice 3-1 start consisting of an earned win, a fusensho, and today another win by a hair-pull hansoku. 

The sumo equivalent of “doing the treble”. I wonder how often that’s happened in a basho (specifally a win, a hansoku and a fusensho across three days).

Edited by Eikokurai

7 minutes ago, dcisneros said:

Can anybody explain what happened that referees turned down Tochi's victory?

Although it looks like Tochinochin won, he grabbed Abi's mage (hair) in the process which is against the rule therefore Abi wins. Basically, Tochinoshin was disqualified for going against the rule (hansoku)

Much better sumo tonight. Tough break for Tochinoshin. That was a wicked throw on Ichinojo. Goeido is looking fierce. I can't believe Takakeisho is looking so comfortable. 

Not very good efforts from Tamawashi and Nishikigi tonight.