Kintamayama

Yoshikaze situation

On top of all this, he's having marital problems. Divorce papers have been filed.  His wife, it seems, is a very extravagant person who chooses to immerse herself in social media and has abandoned her kids. Yoshikaze has moved into another house with his two kids. At first, they seemed to have a great marriage, but they gradually drifted apart as she took on other interests. She urged him to live in a posh part of town (Futagotamakawa) where all the celebs live- a 40 minute drive each way from his heya. Their house was filmed for a TV show- all pink and bursting with paraphernalia, unfit for an athlete, says the article. With him away for half a year every year at local bashos and on jungyos, they grew apart. Their relationship deteriorated and culminated in a call to 911 and the police arriving, domestic violence cited.  She has been leading a every public, flashy life lately and was photographed with a man in a restaurant and seen at several functions with other people. She never took the kids to school-they had to walk alone to the school bus, says a neighbor. Their elementary school daughter was seen loitering in the neighborhood late at night and child abandonment was mentioned, according to a schoolmate. Essentially, he is taking care of the kids alone. All this of course is rumors of the yellow kind, but the core is there- Nakamura Oyakata is undergoing a very difficult time.

Shuukan Josei PRIME is the source- probably a tabloid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Yes they are. Gossip and the like.

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I'm gonna take that information which a Terutsuyoshi amount of salt, but if it is true then good riddance. If she can't even take care of her kids, what on earth is going to happen to the deshi? It's like the reverse-Shikihide... 

28 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

I'm gonna take that information which a Terutsuyoshi amount of salt, but if it is true then good riddance. If she can't even take care of her kids, what on earth is going to happen to the deshi? It's like the reverse-Shikihide... 

I can't recall offhand who it was, but during the chatter on the Shikihide Scarpering Scandal, there were mentions of precisely that opposite scenario - a heya with an okamisan that frankly couldn't care less. Also, okamisan-less heya are certainly uncommon but not unprecedented, although it does mean the oyakata will need quite a bit more help to run the heya.

Edited by Seiyashi

36 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

I can't recall offhand who it was, but during the chatter on the Shikihide Scarpering Scandal, there were mentions of precisely that opposite scenario - a heya with an okamisan that frankly couldn't care less. Also, okamisan-less heya are certainly uncommon but not unprecedented, although it does mean the oyakata will need quite a bit more help to run the heya.

I don't think it's one or the other, more like a mix of the two. Looking at news articles, it seemed like she couldn't care less about the rikishi's welfare but she cared (and very overly so) about maintaining control and order over the heya (basically preventing complete anarchy) while Shikihide was away ill. How on earth is a sekitori going to emerge from that environment? Anyway, it matters not. If there is one rikishi to manage a okamisan-less heya, one of my top picks would be Yoshikaze. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate

2 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

I'm pretty sure bar the juicy parts, which sound like a Spanish telenovalla (and quoting an elementary school classmate is really cheap) , but most of it is probably true. 

I don't quite get that talk about okamisan. Did Nakamura (Yoshikaze) open a heya of his own?

Just now, Jakusotsu said:

I don't quite get that talk about okamisan. Did Nakamura (Yoshikaze) open a heya of his own?

No, but the sentiment appears to be that if his wife is like this with her own biological kids, she'd make a godawful okamisan. 

Ok, should have read the whole thread:

On 26/10/2020 at 17:55, Akinomaki said:

The Weekly Post quotes an NSK related person about the expectations that Takekaze (Oshiogawa) will take over Oguruma-beya when the oyakata retires in 2 years and Yoshikaze (Nakamura) will branch out at the same time, needing about 200-300 million yen to build his own heya premises. http://www.news-postseven.com/archives/20201026_1607066.html

He can't have an intai-zumo in the near future to collect funds, but if he loses his local support, his heya plan may be doomed from the start.

3 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:
3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I don't think it's one or the other, more like a mix of the two. Looking at news articles, it seemed like she couldn't care less about the rikishi's welfare but she cared (and very overly so) about maintaining control and order over the heya (basically preventing complete anarchy) while Shikihide was away ill. How on earth is a sekitori going to emerge from that environment? Anyway, it matters not. If there is one rikishi to manage a okamisan-less heya, one of my top picks would be Yoshikaze. 

No, I meant that apart from Shikihide, there was another heya where the okamisan couldn't care less and this caused problems. Wikipedia suggests that that was Nishikido, but I can't find anything on the forum to back up my memory of the mention. So I was agreeing that it's probably good in the long run that Nakamura divorces his wife if she can't see herself as a caregiver of any kind, because he doesn't want to wind up as the Nishikido(?) number two.

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

In the article which is quite long and which I only translated central points from (lazy bastard) , there is a mention of it and speculation regarding this. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

No, I meant that apart from Shikihide, there was another heya where the okamisan couldn't care less and this caused problems. Wikipedia suggests that that was Nishikido, but I can't find anything on the forum to back up my memory of the mention. So I was agreeing that it's probably good in the long run that Nakamura divorces his wife if she can't see herself as a caregiver of any kind, because he doesn't want to wind up as the Nishikido(?) number two.

My mistake. However, I don't think that Yoshikaze needs to worry about that too much just yet - I doubt he'll have 200 - 300 million yen (?) needed for a heya after all that lawsuits and potential alimonies. Hopefully he finds someone soon. 

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I'm pretty sure bar the juicy parts, which sound like a Spanish telenovalla (and quoting an elementary school classmate is really cheap) , but most of it is probably true. 

One thing I have always liked about sumo is searching for and piecing together the information about sumo stories which often takes years and decades in the making. In this case, it's very much like a Taiwanese soap opera. 700+ 1 hour episodes. Simply on another level.  One time, they took 4 episodes to open a safe, only to find another safe therein. True story. Hakuho level of cheek. (Laughing...)

But of course, sumo is 10000x more interesting. I hope this plays out positively for Yoshikaze. 

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

Find the threads about Homarenishiki. I know the relationship between Nishikido and his wife came up as a reason conditions in his stable were so bad at the time Homarenishiki abruptly left. IIRC, she was something of a trophy wife who had nothing to do with the stable, and he doted on her so much he was neglecting his duties. Supposedly this gave the opening for the Japanese rikishi to pick on the foreigner. 

Edited by Churaumi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pricklypomegranate said:

My mistake. However, I don't think that Yoshikaze needs to worry about that too much just yet - I doubt he'll have 200 - 300 million yen (?) needed for a heya after all that lawsuits and potential alimonies. Hopefully he finds someone soon. 

One thing I have always liked about sumo is searching for and piecing together the information about sumo stories which often takes years and decades in the making. In this case, it's very much like a Taiwanese soap opera. 700+ 1 hour episodes. Simply on another level.  One time, they took 4 episodes to open a safe, only to find another safe therein. True story. Hakuho level of cheek. (Laughing...)

But of course, sumo is 10000x more interesting. I hope this plays out positively for Yoshikaze. 

Well, Yoshikaze has had cameos in TV and films, so maybe they could sell the rights to their story.  I suggest an NHK asadora.  If one of his kids is a plucky daughter, the plot writes itself.

I suggest the series be named Hakkeyoi!.

42 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

Find the threads about Homarenishiki. I know the relationship between Nishikido and his wife came up as a reason conditions in his stable were so bad at the time Homarenishiki abruptly left. IIRC, she was something of a trophy wife who had nothing to do with the stable, and he doted on her so much he was neglecting his duties. Supposedly this gave the opening for the Japanese rikishi to pick on the foreigner. 

Yes, I came across the thread in my research, but didn't know if the Homarenishiki incident related specifically to the okamisan. But that tidies that loose thread up quite neatly.

51 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Yes, I came across the thread in my research, but didn't know if the Homarenishiki incident related specifically to the okamisan. But that tidies that loose thread up quite neatly.

Man, I wondered why the name Nishikido name sounded so familiar, brought memories back. 

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

Well, Yoshikaze has had cameos in TV and films, so maybe they could sell the rights to their story.  I suggest an NHK asadora.  If one of his kids is a plucky daughter, the plot writes itself.

I suggest the series be named Hakkeyoi!.

Dosukoi! can also be an alternate title... (Laughing...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Man, I wondered why the name Nishikido name sounded so familiar, brought memories back. 

Dosukoi! can also be an alternate title... (Laughing...)

Yeah, but my Japanese translator says Hakkeyoi means "put some spirit into it", which is so perfect that it should be the name of every NHK asadora from here forward.

6 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

They started going after him because in one of his matches he shoved his opponent out of the ring, and the opponent landed on the shimpan cho who happened to be Nishikido. Nishikido got hurt and I think had to go kyujo from the basho. That’s when the attacks started happening. Homarenishiki and several others went intai because of what they found. Cody because he didn’t want to be a rikishi anymore and then others were kicked out as punishment 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

I think this photo tells us everything we need to know about whether the story is true or not.

yoshikaze.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

I think this photo tells us everything we need to know about whether the story is true or not.

Wow, do you know what were the added layers of irony for me? Yoshikaze is wearing an Ed Hardy shirt in the photo. Some of you might know that Ed Hardy is a very famous tattoo artist whose sailor-inspired tattoos (which tend to have masculine traits) are very influential in American art and culture. So for me, it amplifies the message Yoshikaze's identity as a rikishi (which I think most would not argue is a symbol masculinity in Japanese culture and the lifestyle of a rikishi, which has similarities to being a sailor) and the fact that he doesn't belong in the doll house. Therefore, if I were a rikishi: 

4 hours ago, Asapedroryu said:

I would look too if i was living in a doll house.

Wow, just wow. The deeper layers... 

16 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

No, I meant that apart from Shikihide, there was another heya where the okamisan couldn't care less and this caused problems.

My first thought was Takanohana...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/12/2020 at 08:42, Kintamayama said:

Shukan Post, the sumo related tabloid par excellence had the story earlier last month

On 06/11/2020 at 15:25, Akinomaki said:

Yoshikaze may soon be running out of money.

Apart from the lawyers to whom he entrusted the Oita court case, he'll also have to pay the lawyers to whom he entrusted his  divorce case. After a matrimonial quarrel where his wife had called the police, he went with his 2 children to his parent's house in Oita for a while and now has rent a 2nd apartment house to live with them in Tokyo, separated from his wife. With a divorce, he will not only lose a good deal of his property, he also will have no okamisan for a new heya anymore. http://www.news-postseven.com/archives/20201106_1609988.html

The future does not look good for Yoshikaze

Edited by Akinomaki

12 hours ago, I am the Yokozuna said:

and what did happen? please enlighten us

There is plenty of information on the topic about his intai here in the forum.

• Confused 1