Kintamayama

Yoshikaze situation

3 hours ago, dada78641 said:

It's always weird when a wrestler who's been a makunouchi mainstay for years decides to quit.

For me, he'll always be the hyped new prospect Onishi.

My wish for the last couple years has been that he would get a zensho yusho and then retire the next day.

Salute to Fiesty Yoshikaze!

Those of us who enjoy honest sumo deployed with indomitable spirit have lost a good man today.

• Like 1

Watching this basho just hasn't felt right since hearing the news, and it seems like it won't feel right for a very long time. Over all the other veterans and up-and-comers, Yoshi has remained my favorite, for his spirited sumo and extremely likeable personality. He was a constant bright presence in the sumo world and I can't remember a time I felt underwhelmed watching him step off the dohyo.

I'm consoled by the thought of him in one of those swanky blue blazers, watching guard over the hanamichi. Here's to hoping he finds his place in the kyokai. Otsukaresamadeshita!

• Like 1

Makuuchi feels weird without Yoshikaze. I grew accustomed to seeing him hanging around in high-to-mid maegashira, or in the few cases he had a bad basho, seeing him bounce back up with a double digit score from low maegashira. Even as the bad news kept coming in, I was waiting for him to do his usual bounce back from the bottom of makuuchi, or even from juryo. It just seemed like a law of nature that Yoshikaze will always bounce back. So I'm sad he won't be there anymore to deliver one of his usual crazy slapfests with Shohozan (who's  already 35 by the way...). Sad to see him leave the dohyo, glad to see him take his well-deserved place amongst the oyakata.

• Like 1

Two thngs I remember most about Yoshikaze, one of my favorite rikishis:

1. The man was fearless. He was not afraid to smash his head against his opponent's skull and when a match was over, it sometimes looked as if his face was hit by a sledgehammer. I hope all that head-to-head contact over many years will have no effect on his future life.

2. He was the perfect example of complying with the rule that both hands must touch the dohyo at the tachi-ai. If rikishis need any reminder of how this should be done properly, all they have to do is look at a video of the start of any of his bouts. 

I will miss him greatly.

Edited by sekitori