Pandaazuma

New Takanofuji Scandal

What an idiot, he was very close to make it to makuuchi and now probably ended his career...

The article says that he'll be kyujo this basho and that the kyujo decision is not a punishment from the Kyokai ( the compliance committee is yet to examine his case) but from his oyakata. The tsukebito is a jonidan.

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 1

Quick translation of the opening paragraph of the article until someone else can fill in the details:

On September 3, Nihon Sumo Kyokai announced that Takanofuji, Juryo 5, committed an act of violence against his tsukebito, a Jonidan wrestler, and as a result would be absent from the Aki basho. Chiganoura Oyakata reported to the Kyokai that the incident occurred after returning to Chiganoura-beya following the August 31 Soken. The basho absence is not a punishment on the part of the Kyokai, but a voluntary decision by Chiganoura Oyakata. 

I guess it's new shikona time, again.

Seriously though, I hope he's gone now.

• Like 1

Sounds like a knobhead. At least his Oyakata has done the right thing. The sumo world is slowly learning how to handle this stuff.

The Nikkan article is conveniently illustrated with a facial expression of his that will also be useful for when the dismissal notice comes.

• Like 7

I wonder if he actually felt one iota of shame for totally torpedoing Takanohanas last stand. What a little shit. The quicker he is forgotten the better.

Whether it’s right or not Takagenji is going to be under the microscope for a while.

• Like 3

I was watching Takanofuji throughout the Nagoya tournament.  Aside from his impressive 11-4 record, I noticed that he made the effort to pick up and return the fallen sagari of at least two, if not three, of his opponents after their bouts had ended.  For some reason, that show of respect or courtesy led me to believe that he was a reformed man.  I guess appearances can be deceiving.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, yohcun said:

FIDIOTofuji?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, yohcun said:

36 minutes ago, Raishu said:

FIDIOTofuji?

Bakanofuji

Edit: Or even better: Bakamonofuji

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I would have thought it'd be Takagenji who would trip up next given his rise to Makuuchi and accompanying ego.   Anyway, somehow, I don't think this will be the last scandal from the twins.  

No doubt sumo has a rough culture to it behind the scenes, but still, is it that difficult to keep your fists to yourself? 

Out with him! And before he goes change his shikona back to the silly Takayoshitoshi for extra shame.

• Like 1

In any field of endeavor, achieving even moderate success can be difficult for some people to handle. They have a superiority attitude which makes it clear to them than they are far better than those who haven't attained their success. In many fields including entertainment and politics, they unfortunately can get away with such an attitude.

However, the situation is far different in sumo. Rikishis are held to a high standard of behavior. Those who do not come up to that standard can and should be punished. And if that lack of decent behavior is extremely severe or continues to occur, the only punishment, unless the offense is incurred by a yokozuna who can be requested to retire, has to be dismissal. Takanofuji was warned, but he obviously chose to ignore that warning. There is no place for egomaniacs and bullies  in sumo. He has to be gone--the sooner, the better.

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Katooshu said:

No doubt sumo has a rough culture to it behind the scenes, but still, is it that difficult to keep your fists to yourself? 

Out with him! And before he goes change his shikona back to the silly Takayoshitoshi for extra shame.

You’d think it would be easier in sumo, given that there is a legitimate avenue for venting aggression and settling grievances ... keiko! With 3+ hours of that every day it’s a wonder anyone has any issues left they need to work through or testosterone to burn.

2 hours ago, Skorzenyama said:

Adults aren't "bullies", they're sociopaths or criminals.  Only children are "bullies", because they don't know any better due to lack of experience / poor upbringing.

I disagree. The defintion of a bully is "a person who habitually seeks to harm or intimidate those whom they perceive as vulnerable". This applies equally to children and adults and pertains directly to this incident. Bullies who are young children may not know any better, but adult bullies know exactly what they're doing--using frustrations in their lives to torment others. The names people use to refer to them doesn't really matter. The bottom line is that there is no place for them in this world and that of course, includes sumo. 

When I think of adult bullying, I'm reminded of a quote by Paramahansa Yogananda, the famous Indian guru. He said, "Some people try to be tall by cuttting off the heads of others". How true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, sekitori said:

I disagree. The defintion of a bully is "a person who habitually seeks to harm or intimidate those whom they perceive as vulnerable". This applies equally to children and adults and pertains directly to this incident. Bullies who are young children may not know any better, but adult bullies know exactly what they're doing--using frustrations in their lives to torment others. The names people use to refer to them doesn't really matter. The bottom line is that there is no place for them in this world and that of course, includes sumo. 

When I think of adult bullying, I'm reminded of a quote by Paramahansa Yogananda, the famous Indian guru. He said, "Some people try to be tall by cuttting off the heads of others". How true.

I am with Skorzenyama on this.   If one is an adult and bully, he has serious mental issues, which can easily lead to criminal behavior.   A kid can bully another kid to take his lunch money.   If an adult does that, it's a robbery punishable with time spend in jail.   

口をへの字に曲げる貴源治(撮影・大野祥一)

A confused and sad looking Takagenji at the training session today

For obvious reasons Takanofuji was not training today but his twin Takagenji was and talked to the journalists after the session. Takagenji apparently was in tears when he heard what his brother had done and urged him to reflect on his actions. "I talked to him yesterday morning, yesterday evening and talked to him two days ago as well. Our first master (ex Takanohana) did his best to raise us and watch over us, what the hell are you doing ? I told him. I am very sad, frustrated and I feel terrible" confessed Takagenji.

The article even reports a conversation that happened between the twins.

Takagenji: "What the hell are you doing ?"

Takanofuji:" until now I acted like you were the brat of the two but it turns out you were the more mature all along"

Takagenji: "It's way to late to realize that"

And the two brothers cried together.

Takagenji is even more heartbroken because he remembers that their former master Takanohana was demoted to the lowest rank in the  hierarchy in order to protect his brother the first time he messed up and thinks Takanofuji broke the faith his master had in him.

"We are more than regular brothers ,we are twins. I know I'll probably be judged too, people will probably say 'his twin was violent so he'll probably be violent too' but I am different. [...] To me there's only sumo and I have faith, I want my brother to have that same faith. If somehow he is not expelled, I'll watch him closely. I want him to redeem himself. No matter what the reason violence is violence. I would like to start again from zero with him"

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201909040000296.html

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

8 hours ago, robnplunder said:

I am with Skorzenyama on this.   If one is an adult and bully, he has serious mental issues, which can easily lead to criminal behavior.   A kid can bully another kid to take his lunch money.   If an adult does that, it's a robbery punishable with time spend in jail.   

Nah, there are plenty of perfectly sane adults who just never grew up. Workplaces are full of such people. My old boss used to pick on just about any new female employee, seemingly out of resentment and fear of rivalry, and yet she’s made it to VP because despite her petty jealousy, she’s not actually mental.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

My old boss used to pick on just about any new female employee, seemingly out of resentment and fear of rivalry, and yet she’s made it to VP because despite her petty jealousy, she’s not actually mental.

Do you really think becoming president is an indicator for mental health?

• Haha 5

43 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Do you really think becoming president is an indicator for mental health?

Vice President. They’re sensible people. 

• Haha 2

The thing came to the attention of the oyakata when the victim, accompanied by 2 other young rikishi who sympathized, had run away from the heya, 2 days after the violence had happened, the 31st, day of the keiko soken. Takanofuji said he hit the tsukebito lightly on the head with his fist - as "educational measure", because he was angry about his behavior. The tsukebito has no visible injury. Apparently Takanofuji had problems with other rikishi on a daily basis also after his first punishment.

http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/sumou/1537056/

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201909040000638.html

-- 10 years ago, this still would have been not only a widespread, but also accepted practice. Only after Takanohana decided to make the HF incident public, also violence of this level gets punished - as a compliance infraction, not for the degree of violence - just like a punishment is for disallowed driving, not for having killed a person with the car.

Takanofuji apparently has thoroughly "learned" the old type behavior and is not able to adapt to the new reality in sumo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

He assaulted someone before and got another chance, then he did it again. The daily 'problems' the article refers to perhaps suggests that there were other physical incidents and that it's generous to act like he's only slipped up twice.

Edited by Katooshu

I've raised the question of steroid use in sumo in this forum before and gotten some pretty interesting responses. I can't help but wonder if such substances could be in play here. I have no evidence and haven't seen anything hypothesized in writing, but the behavior begs the question, IMO.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Thundersnow said:

I've raised the question of steroid use in sumo in this forum before and gotten some pretty interesting responses. I can't help but wonder if such substances could be in play here. I have no evidence and haven't seen anything hypothesized in writing, but the behavior begs the question, IMO.

Maybe all those Russians who got caught smoking dope were just managing their steroid- enhanced aggression. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thundersnow said:

Interesting point.  Either way, Takanofuji needs to change which I doubt.   As someone mentioned earlier, there will also be a scrutiny o n his twin brother whose past behavior wasn't all that good.    And these two dudes are not even a sanyuku, one is in juryo, another bottom of makuuchi.   What will they do if they (and their ego) reach sanyuku?  (Sigh...)