Kaminariyuki

Enho - predictions?

On 31/01/2020 at 17:24, Benihana said:

Full ack. The longer he'll be in makuuchi, the more he'll excel in being a major PITA for the taller and bulkier guys. Sadly he won't meet Tochinoshin next basho (if they ever meet again Tochi is TOAST), but there's a Yokozuna-scalp to take.

I don't think Enho gets to fight Hakuho unless there's a playoff for the yusho. This, because they are in the same heya, although I haven't looked up the rule.

25 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

I don't think Enho gets to fight Hakuho unless there's a playoff for the yusho. This, because they are in the same heya, although I haven't looked up the rule.

He definitely won't meet Hakuho outside a playoff, because of exactly that rule.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benihana said:

He definitely won't meet Hakuho outside a playoff, because of exactly that rule.

Thinking especially about the mentor-pupil relationship that has developed between them, you can well understand why this rule exists.

I love him but hes gunna be facing all the big guns this time round... 6-9 for March 2020 basho

At least 4 or 5 of those defeats coming from frontal force down, unless he develops another trick up his mawashi and stops going in head first 45 degree angle!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NokottaClue said:

I love him but hes gunna be facing all the big guns this time round... 6-9 for March 2020 basho

He won't face Hakuho, and who knows if Kakuryu will attend? What other big guns are there? They're all gone apart from Takakeisho!

He'll probably have a very similar slate to last basho, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Enho get another KK. I'm amazed at what Hakuho has managed to get out of him so far, and I doubt we've seen the last of his 'tricks'. 

PS. Welcome to the forum and bloody well done of the choice of moniker! (Clappingwildly...)

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I actually think Enho will be a regular at sanyaku in the future, he is still very green and too reliable on instincts when in a bad spot. 

Of course i only think that's possible if he adds more muscle, he is never gonna be big so he needs to get strong quickly specially the shoulders and back, if he isn't doing weight training he should seriously get inspired by Chiyonofuji.(i don't know how the hell Enho didn't injury his shoulders yet)

• Like 1

If the basho is held at all, and I hope it is since I have a ticket for Day 14, I'm going out on a limb here and predict a 10-5 with a special prize, probably kanto-sho. This will be the first double digit basho for the smallest guy in the top two divisions.

I think he's probably figured out a few of the tricks of these joi-jin by now. Time to go in for the kill. Maybe breaking into sanyaku some basho this year if he can keep from sustaining a serious injury.

1 hour ago, NokottaClue said:

At least 4 or 5 of those defeats coming from frontal force down, unless he develops another trick up his mawashi and stops going in head first 45 degree angle!

RabidJohn is correct. Because of the kyujo yokozuna in the last basho, Enho was essentially joi-jin in January. Even though some of the top guys have been struggling of late, Enho went 4-2 against the sanyaku, beating one of the two ozeki, one of the two konosubi (Abi in rather spectacular fashion), and both sekiwake. Takarafuji on Day 1 was still my favorite, though. Man, that was some kind of awesome.

Edited by Kaminariyuki

55 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

He won't face Hakuho, and who knows if Kakuryu will attend? What other big guns are there? They're all gone apart from Takakeisho!

He'll probably have a very similar slate to last basho, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Enho get another KK. I'm amazed at what Hakuho has managed to get out of him so far, and I doubt we've seen the last of his 'tricks'. 

PS. Welcome to the forum and bloody well done of the choice of moniker! (Clappingwildly...)

Good to meet another English sumo fan!

I guess you're right re: shouldn't face too many diff, I know he beat some of what I'd call the big guns already but doing it regularly without getting found out might be the issue.

Takakeisho, Hokutofuji, Shodai, kakuryu if he bothers to turn up, mitakeumi, Endo, Takayasu and may even have have to face tokushoryu depending how far up they notch him.. is a formidable line up!

And thank you very much! *tips hat*

On 31/01/2020 at 17:24, Benihana said:

Full ack. The longer he'll be in makuuchi, the more he'll excel in being a major PITA for the taller and bulkier guys. Sadly he won't meet Tochinoshin next basho (if they ever meet again Tochi is TOAST), but there's a Yokozuna-scalp to take.

Enhozekiwa, these words? So, you think he'll take out Kakuryu in Osaka? I would like to see a kibosh before he makes sanyaku...  :)

5 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Enhozekiwa, these words? So, you think he'll take out Kakuryu in Osaka? I would like to see a kibosh before he makes sanyaku...  :)

If they meet, i strongly favour Enho.

15 minutes ago, Benihana said:

If they meet, i strongly favour Enho.

LOL, since I just brashly predicted Enho to have a 10-5 at Haru, I have to agree. The detractors have grown quiet, but we are between bashos...

Every match I expect Enho to get lifted up and set outside the ring (think back to Tochinoshin) but he more often finds a way to win. Still, he is due for a weaker showing so I’ll predict a 7-8 result in March. But I’ll also predict he stays in the single digit Maegashira ranks for at least the next year. I think he is in his sweet spot where he’ll win enough to be relevant but not enough to make komusubi. 

Enho has been improving every basho. I would agree with the MK predictions if I expected him to stand still, but I don't.

9-6 in March.

On 18/02/2020 at 13:20, Benihana said:

Enhozeki, mark my words...

OK, so I'm a bit slow on the uptake. I did not quite understand the Enhozeki remark initially, so I had looked up "zeki" and found that it is actually used as an honorific suffix, like san or sama, except specifically for sekitori.

zeki ()

I just realized, however, that Benihana was playing with the language and may have also been predicting an ozeki run? It's a bit rough for the common stock to request a clarification of droll wit, but there you go, let's have it!

Of course, we'll probably get something back that's even more obscure and arcane... 

1 minute ago, Kaminariyuki said:

OK, so I'm a bit slow on the uptake. I did not quite understand the Enhozeki remark initially, so I had looked up "zeki" and found that it is actually used as an honorific suffix, like san or sama, except specifically for sekitori.

zeki ()

I just realized, however, that Benihana was playing with the language and may have also been predicting an ozeki run? It's a bit rough for the common stock to request a clarification of droll wit, but there you go, let's have it!

Of course, we'll probably get something back that's even more obscure and arcane... 

Enho Ozeki, it's that simple. We've seen weirder things happen in the last few years.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Benihana said:

Enho Ozeki, it's that simple. We've seen weirder things happen in the last few years.

No, we did not. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I feel like a weirder thing happened last basho.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

I know that I started this thread last summer, but I have to say, I'm still enjoying it. Y'all are hilarious! Thank God for the internet. If I didn't have some fellow sumo fans to shoot the BS with I'd have to just up and move to Japan for a year to get it out of my system.

Like that would work...

• Like 3

Enho is a fantastic addition to the cast of characters. Absolutely deadly on the belt and amazing footwork. He can KK for sure  8-7 !  He's quick enought to elude a thruster like Takakeishou and strike for the belt at an angle like a snake , then work for the throw. It's fun and skillful sumo.