Kaminariyuki

Enho - predictions?

2 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

I have indeed seen them, but looking like that at 15 is not the same as looking like that when you're 21. Hak was full size and almost Yokozuna by the time he was as old as Enho is there.

No, you're spot on there. I don't know what Hakuho saw in the little guy, but it may not have been from this one bout, and there's scant question that he saw potential in the lad. From my perspective (not necessarily from this video), Enho has a couple of attributes that he shares with Hakuho: extreme speed and the ability to perceive what his opponent is doing quickly and adjust tactics to exploit opportunity. I have no idea how far Enhjo can go, or thether he can continue to perform without serious injury, but I'm glad for the fellowship of other Enho fans!

My prediction is that he won't make it out of high makushita. He's simply too small and it will only take his opponents 1 match against him to completely figure him out. 

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

My prediction is that he won't make it out of high makushita. He's simply too small and it will only take his opponents 1 match against him to completely figure him out. 

That's certainly possible, but hard to say since he's moved up through the rankings so fast. Not too many rikishi have been getting multiple shots at him, but the sanyaku are now getting that opportunity as long as he continues to go KK (four in a row). Daieisho did beat Enho on the final weekend this basho, but it wasn't after one loss, but rather after four (contrary to your analysis above). Kotoeko, on the other hand, beat Enho last March and May, but then proceeded to lose to Eno in September and November. And, now he's too far down the banzuke to get another shot soon. So, on scant analysis, I'd say Enho is learning as much about his opposition as they are learning about him.

1 hour ago, Katooshu said:

Whoops, my bad, 3 of those earlier losses to Daiesho were actually against Daishoho. I was glancing at the Enho's past record where the rikishis names were written 90 degrees out of ordinary and I misread. I think the Kotoeko record was correct, though. 

Either way, you could easily be correct, Katooshu. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Katooshu said:

LOL, OK, I know, I'm beating this to death, but it was a valid hypothesis and I'm a scientist so I can't help it. After another look at Enho's Makuuchi bashos, I see that Onosho has faced Enho four times (Onosho won the first and fourth, but lost the second and third matches). Meisei has faced Enho three times in Makuuchi. Meisei beat Enho the first time, but the little guy may have figured him out, because Enho won the matches in September and January. Shodai has beaten Enho both times they've met, but Shohozan won three and then lost to Enho in the tournament that just ended.

So, the notion that they will figure him out after one match does not appear to hold much water. There is definitively hope for those among us who are pulling for Enho. His detractors, when on the record, have predicted he would not get as far as he has already.

Banzai Enho!!!

14 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

LOL, OK, I know, I'm beating this to death, but it was a valid hypothesis and I'm a scientist so I can't help it.

A prime quality of a proper scientist should be to read properly. B-)

(hint: focus on the division name and turn on your irony detector)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

A prime quality of a proper scientist should be to read properly. B-)

(hint: focus on the division name and turn on your irony detector)

Hmmm, where did I put that irony detector. This lab is a mess!

• Haha 1

My prediction is that he will quit ozumo and start a career in K-pop (Danpatsu-shiki...)
(Clappingwildly...)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jabbamaru said:

My prediction is that he will quit ozumo and start a career in K-pop (Danpatsu-shiki...)
(Clappingwildly...)

Why kpop, he could join as a new member of akb48! Maybe start as tsukedashi or something. 

But seriously, I would not have dared to hope to see him get a kachikoshi this high on the banzuke. The more reason to be happy. Would love to see him in sanyaku at some point. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dingo said:

Would love to see him in sanyaku at some point. 

In the unlikely event that Enho ever became Yokozuna, we would be treated to a six-time yearly dose of "is submarine sumo befitting of a Yokozuna?  Why must he only grab arms and legs?" from the YDC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

In the unlikely event that Enho ever became Yokozuna, we would be treated to a six-time yearly dose of "is submarine sumo befitting of a Yokozuna?  Why must he only grab arms and legs?" from the YDC.

Without doubt!

But, they could raise ticket prices again...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Well, what else is there to grab? The mage and the front of the mawashi are already forbidden :P

7 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Well...yeah. It’s the YDC. The could complain about anything. It’s kind of their job to be whiny, and they excel at their duties.

• Haha 2

I have been predicting Enho's demise in Makuuchi for some time now.   Obviously, I didn't do so well with my predictions.   But that won't stop me from making another prediction on Enho.  I predict Enho will go MK in the next basho with a 5-10 record.  

Regardless of how high he rises (or doesn’t) and how quickly his opponents figure out how to best him (or don’t), the guy is undeniably exciting to watch and therefore very good for the sport. There is so much anticipation around his bouts and when he wins, it absolutely electrifies the crowd in the Kokugikan. No one else is providing that kind of service for the fans on the same level right now, although Tokushoryu has certainly warmed hearts and garnered lots of new fans with his well deserved yusho and charming post bout interview and Terutsuyoshi’s salt throw gets a buzz going. Sumo NEEDS Enho right now, as the Ozeki ranks disintegrate and the Yokozuna limp toward retirement (no disrespect intended, just calling what I see). I got to see him fight live a bunch of times in January, felt the excitement he engenders in the fans, and have become a convert. Nothing but respect for him and I wish him every success. I’d love to see him in sanyaku.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, robnplunder said:

I have been predicting Enho's demise in Makuuchi for some time now.   Obviously, I didn't do so well with my predictions.   But that won't stop me from making another prediction on Enho.  I predict Enho will go MK in the next basho with a 5-10 record.  

I really liked your post a lot! And, Since_94's as well. 

robnplunder, I hope your profound acumen for Enho's sumo prognostication continues it's impressive accuracy!

6 hours ago, since_94 said:

Regardless of how high he rises (or doesn’t) and how quickly his opponents figure out how to best him (or don’t), the guy is undeniably exciting to watch and therefore very good for the sport. There is so much anticipation around his bouts and when he wins, it absolutely electrifies the crowd in the Kokugikan. No one else is providing that kind of service for the fans on the same level right now, although Tokushoryu has certainly warmed hearts and garnered lots of new fans with his well deserved yusho and charming post bout interview and Terutsuyoshi’s salt throw gets a buzz going. Sumo NEEDS Enho right now, as the Ozeki ranks disintegrate and the Yokozuna limp toward retirement (no disrespect intended, just calling what I see). I got to see him fight live a bunch of times in January, felt the excitement he engenders in the fans, and have become a convert. Nothing but respect for him and I wish him every success. I’d love to see him in sanyaku.

This may be the most thoughtful, and accurate, analysis I've seen on SF for quite a while. 

I haven't been to a honbasho since Hatsu 2019 when Enho was in upper Juryo, but his bout got a fair part of the Kokugikan fired up even then. I am really hoping to see him late in the Haru basho, if my tickets come through. *sends up small prayer to any Ozumo Kami who might be nearby*

Also hoping that some of our recent ozeki and our current yokozuna are feeling more fit for Haru. Regardless, it should be a very interesting tournament. Maybe we'll have an Enho yusho? Banzai Enho!!!

2 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Maybe we'll have an Enho yusho? 

I'd say that's preposterous and will never happen, but then a few weeks ago I would have said a 14-1 Tokushoryu yusho is preposterous and will never happen, so what do I know? We've clearly slipped into some sort of alternate sumo universe where anything is possible.

• Like 1

I have to say I'm a little puzzled by those insisting Enho's opponents will "figure him out" at some point. He's very far from a one-trick pony. If anything, it's Enho who will figure out approaches against opponents where he's been unsuccessful. He's extraordinarily adaptable, and is perfectly willing to meet a tachi-ai full on if it's the right approach for his specific fight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kuroyama said:

I have to say I'm a little puzzled by those insisting Enho's opponents will "figure him out" at some point. He's very far from a one-trick pony. If anything, it's Enho who will figure out approaches against opponents where he's been unsuccessful. He's extraordinarily adaptable, and is perfectly willing to meet a tachi-ai full on if it's the right approach for his specific fight.

Full ack. The longer he'll be in makuuchi, the more he'll excel in being a major PITA for the taller and bulkier guys. Sadly he won't meet Tochinoshin next basho (if they ever meet again Tochi is TOAST), but there's a Yokozuna-scalp to take.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Even if he does go 5-10 and even if he drops out of makunouchi permanently, he will still have done something that hardly anyone with the possible exception of Mainoumi has achieved. He has shown that someone with an unusually small body can succeed in an endeavor dominated by extremely large people.

The closest example I can think of is Muggsy Bogues who played in the NBA for many years. He was 5' 3" tall (160 cm), considerably shorter than Enho. He played in a league where the height of the average player is over 6' 6" (198 cm). I also remember Spud Webb who also played in the NBA. He was about four inches taller then Bogues, but still quite small. Each player lasted around 14 years in the NBA, an amazing feat for someone their size. One more thing. Webb actually won the NBA Slam Dunk competition. Then there was Calvin Murphy (5' 9") who stayed in the NBA for about the same length of time as the other two. . He has the distinction of being the shortest player ever elected to the NBA Hall of Fame.

I just happen to have a preferemce for athletes who are "Davids" in a a sport dominated by "Goliaths". If your prediction of 5-10 does come true, I hope it will happen ten years from now after Enho has achieved and maintained sanyaku status. Hooray for the little guys!!

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

I really liked your post a lot! And, Since_94's as well. 

robnplunder, I hope your profound acumen for Enho's sumo prognostication continues it's impressive accuracy!

Things typically happen in the exact opposite of what I predict.  So, Enho is very likely to to go 10-5 in the next basho and become a Sanyuku (which I proclaimed Enho will never be).   ;-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sekitori said:

Even if he does go 5-10 and even if he drops out of makunouchi permanently, he will still have done something that hardly anyone with the possible exception of Mainoumi has achieved. He has shown that someone with an unusually small body can succeed in an endeavor dominated by extremely large people.

The closest example I can think of is Muggsy Bogues who played in the NBA for many years. He was 5' 3" tall (160 cm), considerably shorter than Enho. He played in a league where the height of the average player is over 6' 6" (198 cm). I also remember Spud Webb who also played in the NBA. He was about four inches taller then Bogues, but still quite small. Each player lasted around 14 years in the NBA, an amazing feat for someone their size. One more thing. Webb actually won the NBA Slam Dunk competition. Then there was Calvin Murphy (5' 9") who stayed in the NBA for about the same length of time as the other two. . He has the distinction of being the shortest player ever elected to the NBA Hall of Fame.

I just happen to have a preferemce for athletes who are "Davids" in a a sport dominated by "Goliaths". If your prediction of 5-10 does come true, I hope it will happen ten years from now after Enho has achieved and maintained sanyaku status. Hooray for the little guys!!

It's a very good comparison between Enho and Mugssy who is also one of my all-time favorites.   They both defied the odds.   I think Muggsy's feat was even more amazing.   But I give Enho the nod on being much braver of the two.   

My hope is that Enho hangs around in Makuuchi as long as he can.   He has become a main reason for me to keep watching ozumo.

7 hours ago, Kuroyama said:

He's very far from a one-trick pony. If anything, it's Enho who will figure out approaches against opponents where he's been unsuccessful. He's extraordinarily adaptable, and is perfectly willing to meet a tachi-ai full on if it's the right approach for his specific fight.

This is undoubtedly precisely what Hakuho noticed in him. And who better than Hakuho knows what is paramount for any fighter who would be a champion? Plus, I'm sure Enho also demonstrated a willingness to train hard and the proper attitude befitting a novice sumotori. The videos members have posted of him training have been impressive for these reasons. What other reasons would Hakuho have for taking him under his wing?

• Like 2

On 31/01/2020 at 11:31, just_some_guy said:

I'd say that's preposterous and will never happen, but then a few weeks ago I would have said a 14-1 Tokushoryu yusho is preposterous and will never happen, so what do I know? We've clearly slipped into some sort of alternate sumo universe where anything is possible.

So, desu ne!