Kaminariyuki

Enho - predictions?

6 hours ago, Benihana said:

We got, you're old. What's next? Someone telling the story how he saw the invention of fire?

Back to Enho: 6-9

7-8 (whippersnapper!)

On 31/08/2019 at 18:37, Otokonoyama said:

The last time I discussed COBOL was with computer science majors in the '80s.

Still using it, and I'm not nearly as old as Asojima (yet).

17 hours ago, Thundersnow said:

Well, that was fun, even if discussion veered into digital nonsense Now how to get by until Sunday...

The "digital nonsense" was a way for anxious people to "get by until Sunday..."

On 31/08/2019 at 06:44, Otokonoyama said:

The last time I discussed Fortran was with an electrical engineer who graduated in the '60s.

On 31/08/2019 at 17:24, Yamanashi said:

FORTRAN was for tech nerds before they were called tech nerds.  And they laughed at the boring business geeks using COBOL.

On 31/08/2019 at 17:37, Asojima said:

That makes me a tech geek.  I did FORTRAN applications in the 70's and major COBOL projects in the 80's and 90's.

My friend, a 22-year-old shipwright-to-be, can be generally found in the vicinity of northern Athens foaming at the mouth, ranting to anyone who'll listen that they still have to learn FORTRAN as part of their studies. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am more worried whether Enho makes it through the basho without incurring a major injury. As for his record, I expect a makekoshi, like 6-9. They started to figure him out. (Fortran...impossible to eradicate, particularly in nature sciences)

Edited by Gospodin
correction
  • Like 1

I only hinted at predicting a kachikoshi myself, when I meant to add "zensho yusho!!!"

Ganbatte kudasai.

Edited by Thundersnow
fixed

Alright, I'll discuss with myself. Never should have put the hex on the boy. Haven't seen Day 4 yet, but I saw the match results over coffee this morningAside from the shiner it looked like he got form Kotoyuki on Day 3, in exchange I suppose for throwing him into the 4th row, hopefully he hasn't sustained any serious injury.

I enjoy seeing Enho lose. There. I said it.

Yes, he’s fairly dynamic and his matches tend to end in some fantastic finishes.

Yes, his popularity is good for the sport.

Yes, he’s got heart.

But the bandwagon looks full enough without me jumping on it. When he loses, it’s like a needed reality check or even comeuppance for his cult like followers.

• Like 3

The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing - John Wesley Powell

17 hours ago, since_94 said:

When he loses, it’s like a needed reality check or even comeuppance for his cult like followers.

17 hours ago, since_94 said:

But the bandwagon looks full enough without me jumping on it. When he loses, it’s like a needed reality check or even comeuppance for his cult like followers.

It's not nearly as bad (yet) as the Takanoyama and Ura bandwagons were. At least Enho actually takes the fight to his opponents rather than rely on an endless parade of evasive trickery. I'm not prone to fetishize small rikishi, but he's enjoyable to watch.

• Like 1

I didn't get to see much of Takanoyama since I only started watching Sumo in 2013 but I was and still am one of Ura's fans. The Ura bandwagon, while it admittedly could be a bit too much, didn't irritate me the way Enho's does. What annoys me the most is the comparison of Enho with Hinomaru (from Hinomaru Sumo, which, let's just say, is not my cup of tea), which I think especially some new fans of Sumo like to do. At least I keep reading about it in comments on Youtube and in livestream chatrooms.
On the other hand of course it's great that popular rikishi like Enho are drawing more attention to Sumo.
I'm just going to wait for the hype/craze to die down a bit ;)

On 02/09/2019 at 07:53, Gernobono said:

10-5

Looks to me like Gernobono was closest. But for the Shinpan's monoii, incorrectly overriding the gyoji it seemed, Gernobono would have nailed it exactly (Enho didn't complain, though, so this is the last time I'll mention it. Dead topic, water under the bridge...). Nearly everyone predicted MK, but the chisai rikishi came with some game, wrestled pretty much straight up sumo with not much of the nontraditional tactics that some disliked with Ura's technique, and hauled in a 9-6. I fear some have indeed got his number currently, but I'm guessing he may come into November with some new tricks. Don't let the little guy on your belt, and don't pull him unless you're sure. Come on, Hakuho, help the lad into joi-jin. I know you can do it. 

Edited by Thundersnow
  • Haha 1

On 15/09/2019 at 21:28, since_94 said:

the bandwagon looks full enough without me jumping on it. When he loses, it’s like a needed reality check or even comeuppance for his cult like followers.

I totally disagree. I like small rikishis who must use superior techniques to overcome the size advantage of their opponents. I also don't care for extraordinarily huge rikishis who rely primarily on their weight to overpower their opponents. For those reasons, my favorites in the past were Mainoumi and Kyokudozan. At present, they are Enho and Ishiura. To me, the best things about the Aki basho were Ishiura's kachi-koshi and Enho's totally unexpected 9-6.

For the reason I stated above, my third favorite rikishi is anyone who happens to face Ichinojo.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sekitori said:

I totally disagree. I like small rikishis who must use superior techniques to overcome the size advantage of their opponents. I also don't care for extraordinarily huge rikishis who rely primarily on their weight to overpower their opponents. For those reasons, my favorites in the past were Mainoumi and Kyokudozan. At present, they are Enho and Ishiura. To me, the best things about the Aki basho were Ishiura's kachi-koshi and Enho's totally unexpected 9-6.

For the reason I stated above, my third favorite rikishi is anyone who happens to face Ichinojo.

LOL, me too. I don't mind when Aoyama or Ichinojo wrestle well, but so often they seem to just be muddling through the paces, which I find terribly dull. That said, the May tournament saw them both performing. In this last bash Aoyama actually enka=ed. I nearly fell out of my chair.

On 16/09/2019 at 12:28, since_94 said:

Yes, he’s fairly dynamic and his matches tend to end in some fantastic finishes.

Yes, his popularity is good for the sport.

Yes, he’s got heart.

This reads like you’re just being contrary for the sake of it. Others like him, so you’re not going to, like hating a popular band just because.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sekitori said:

Ishiura was a favorite of mine for this reason when I started following sumo. Then, like his opponents on they dohyo, I am sure, grew weary of his over reliance on henka. Now he’s fighting like the giant killer he has the potential to be and it’s a pleasure to watch.

For the record, Enho is one of my favorite rikishi and I predicted his MK in this basho.   I am here to apologize to Enho.   Sorry for doubting you.      (Hitthewall...)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

This reads like you’re just being contrary for the sake of it. Others like him, so you’re not going to, like hating a popular band just because.

C’mon. Hate is a strong word. We’re not talking about Nickleback. I have stated elsewhere on this board that I enjoy watching Enho and admire his skill and heart. He’s Hakuho’s protege, which speaks volumes. I still like it when he loses because: 1) I find it frustrating when my favorite rikishi, of which there are many, struggle to find a way to handle him. They lose, it affects their records, obviously. It is their losing that bothers me more than his winning, per se; and 2) For better or worse I frequent a number of FB sumo related groups which are full of his fans who have an obsession with his looks and physique that borders on what I could only describe as infantilism (I know I’m misusing the term). Their constant fawning over their “cherub cheeked little pixie” or however they want to refer to him that day is nauseating to me personally and seems borderline unwholesome. Never has the ignore button been in such heavy use as when wading through those group discussions.

Or maybe you’re right and I’m just being contrary.

Wouldn’t be the first time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, since_94 said:

C’mon. Hate is a strong word. We’re not talking about Nickleback. I have stated elsewhere on this board that I enjoy watching Enho and admire his skill and heart. He’s Hakuho’s protege, which speaks volumes. I still like it when he loses because: 1) I find it frustrating when my favorite rikishi, of which there are many, struggle to find a way to handle him. They lose, it affects their records, obviously. It is their losing that bothers me more than his winning, per se; and 2) For better or worse I frequent a number of FB sumo related groups which are full of his fans who have an obsession with his looks and physique that borders on what I could only describe as infantilism (I know I’m misusing the term). Their constant fawning over their “cherub cheeked little pixie” or however they want to refer to him that day is nauseating to me personally and seems borderline unwholesome. Never has the ignore button been in such heavy use as when wading through those group discussions.

Or maybe you’re right and I’m just being contrary.

Wouldn’t be the first time.

Have an upvote for the Nickelback reference. 

13 hours ago, Thundersnow said:

Looks to me like Gernobono was closest. 

Failed miserably.

I completely dislike his way of sumo and tried to jinx him.

• Haha 2