Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O- Aki 2019

Kadoban Ozeki Tochinoshin is worried, a bit more than a week before the basho starts. His right knee injury is not healing. He went for degeiko to Dewanoumi today and was 10-2 against Mitakeumi and others. The record was fine but he isn't. "I still can't exert power. It feels like i'm doing sumo with only one leg.." he said. He has a left shoulder injury as well. In a bout against Aoiyama he had to stop because of the pain in his knee. "So, you will be doing what you can?" asked the reporter. "Yes.." he answered.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If everything goes according to script, we will be down to one kadoban Ozeki in november. And 4 Sekiwake. Which would be nice.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Benihana said:

If everything goes according to script, we will be down to one kadoban Ozeki in november. And 4 Sekiwake. Which would be nice.

And Tachiai Blog will have a post called "Kyushu Story #1: What's Wrong with the Sekiwakes?"

Edited by Yamanashi
because I'm not thinking clearly

Posted (edited)

It may nigh be time for a revival of the Ozeki Backscratchers Club. If the three current and one returning ozeki seize the day and make an Undead Ozeki's Society, they'll at least be around through the 2020 Olympics themselves. Perhaps the Geek could be tokubetsu komon.

Edited by Otokonoyama

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Kadoban Ozeki Tochinoshin is worried, a bit more than a week before the basho starts. His right knee injury is not healing. He went for degeiko to Dewanoumi today and was 10-2 against Mitakeumi and others. The record was fine but he isn't. "I still can't exert power. It feels like i'm doing sumo with only one leg.." he said. He has a left shoulder injury as well. In a bout against Aoiyama he had to stop because of the pain in his knee. "So, you will be doing what you can?" asked the reporter. "Yes.." he answered.

Give this reporter a Pulitzer Prize for his probing investigative reporting.

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
ぶつかり稽古で若い衆に胸を出した高安(手前右)

Some news on Takayasu after his unfortunate elbow injury which forced him to pull out last basho and kept him out of the entire jungyo (the injury is a teared ligament in the right elbow 左肘靱帯断裂). Today he announced that he'll take part to the keiko souken tomorow and trained with five young guys from the heya, lending his chest for butsukarigeiko. Despite that he is yet to do actual sumo. For that reason, even if he'll be at the souken tomorow, he's very unlikely to face the other top guys "I'll figure things out, I'll lend my chest and explore solutions to get back to form" he declared

To me it sounds he's very far away from being ready...

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201908300000592.html

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

*Hakuhou was at the Isegahama rengo keiko and took on Takarafuji the reckless neckless one ten times, winning all bouts. A walk in the park is essentially what the article says. Favorite right hand grip, etc. Yesterday, he took on thruster Abi. Takarafuji has a totally different style of sticking closely to you. "Today's theme was heaviness.. That was at the center of my mind as I went about my business," he nearly said. Takarafuji is 11 kilos heavier than Hakuhou, BTW.  "Yesterday's Abi is light but has quick pushes so yesterday's theme was pushing him away and getting that feel," he explained. The only worry is his right hand pinkie, which seemed to be swollen. "When I grabbed the mawashi, you know.." he said. Still, it didn't show in his sumo or on his face. As he left the heya, he was drinking some black "5 o'clock" tea. "It's been a while since I had some sweet tea.. Really good," he said, draining the 500 milligram bottle. He was in a good mood all the way and was looking fit.

*Probably my weirdest translation ever.

201909010000337-w500_0.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Goueidou was at the Tokitsukaze Ichimon rengo keiko today, although he does not belong to said Ichimon. He faced Endou, Shoudai and Yutakayama and was 10-2. "A lot of joijin here today, and i wanted to face the guys I'll probably face during the basho," he said later. He is kadoban after injuring his right shoulder rotator cuff. "It's no use  thinking about that . I'm looking forward," he added. "It's fine. I'm able to use my right hand freely. It's fine," he summed.The last three Aki basho he had a yusho and two jun-yushos. "I can yusho! I shall gambarize," he summed some more.

201909020000317-w500_0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Kakuryuu was at the Tokitsukaze rengo keiko as well where no less than 21 sekitori converged. He faced Endou (4 bouts), Hokutofuji (7 bouts) and Daieishou (7 bouts) for 18 bouts in total, losing two, one each to Hokutofuji and Daieishou. "I wanted to face oshizumo guys who hit hard. I'm happy I succeeded," he said. At the end he felt something in his left foot, but said he was OK. "I've got to be prepared. I'm able to win because I'm in good shape. What's important is how I can get the flow going from day 1. I'd like this kind of training to continue as the sekitori are into it. It's hot. The only problem is the heat..," he explained.

201909020000299-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

栃ノ心(2019年7月2日撮影)

Kadoban ozeki Tochinoshin was at the Dewanoumi stable joint training session today and faced Sekiwake Mitakeumi as well as heyamates Aoyama and Tochiozan for 12 bouts and finished 6-6. "I can't move forward well yet. I can use some power in my right leg at the tachi-ai but my legs don't follow after that. My left shoulder is in much better shape though, I can now use my left arm well. Overall I am in better shape. It's impossible to be completely healed of everything right away but I'm getting there slowly" he commented. https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201909040000307.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

At least Tochinoshin only needs the 8 wins, but I feel much will come down to how he starts. If he has 3-5 losses after five days against the more junior ranks, I fear it will shake his confidence. 

On 01/09/2019 at 12:14, Kintamayama said:

The only worry is his right hand pinkie, which seemed to be swollen. "When I grabbed the mawashi, you know.." he said. Still, it didn't show in his sumo or on his face.

Should have taken this more seriously, right hand being his lifeline and all. Reminds me of the toe injury back then that sidelined him for a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1