sumojoann

1940's Short Clip of Japanese Sumo Wrestling

Here is a clip from 1914-1918 of sumo matches taking place on a ship!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's some really old archival footage from around the early 1900's.  Is this real??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This video is more modern.  One of the comments said it's circa 1960 and featured Taiho and was probably an exhibition.

(I should probably change the title of my thread since these archival videos are from different eras).

• Like 1

Wow!!  This footage is from an old film!!!  There is no indication of the year it was released.  I LOVE the accompanying music!  Does anyone know the name of this music??

• Like 1

This video was filmed in Yokohama in 1949.  In the first match, one of the wrestlers looks as tall as Kotooshu!

• Like 1

This video shows old photos illustrating sumo wrestling from 1890-1950.

• Like 1

This video is perplexing.  It lasts only 8 seconds, but one of the comments mentions something interesting happening at 3:40.  Hmmm!  This is taken from a French documentary titled "Les Archives en Couleurs --- Images Japonaises".  It's sold on French Amazon but since I don't read French, I'm not sure if it's actually still available for purchase.

• Like 1

This is interesting!  An exciting bout between Futabayama & Akinoumi at the Natsu Basho 1942.  It has been colorized but the Youtuber did a split screen showing the bout in both colorized and non-colorized versions.

• Like 1

Here is another video of Yokozuna Futabayama with some exciting bouts.

• Like 2

In the last linked vid starting at 0:33 I believe is Tatsunami inth 70's as I recognize Kurohimiyama.

• Thanks 1

Thanks #sumojoann for posting all these early video clips of sumo.  By watching them all, YouTube algorithms dug up a few more such clips.  Here is one more entitled Sumo 1937:

• Like 2

It's amazing how much old sumo footage there is out there on Youtube.  Here is Sumo in Osaka in 1959.

• Like 2

The sumo portion of this video starts at 3:52 & runs to the end of the video.  The Youtuber states in the description that a Japanese commenter said that this movie was shot in March 1958 at the Osaka Basho.  Read the description for further details.

• Like 1

Here are excerpts from the 1930's-1940's of Sumo, Kendo, Kenjutsu, Jujitsu, Judo, Karate and Kenpo.

• Like 1

Here is a clip from the 1967 James Bond film "You Only Live Twice".  It shows Bond arriving in Tokyo and watching a sumo wrestling bout.  Three weeks ago, someone with the User ID bigSUMOfan com wrote a very interesting comment --- "Some of the wrestlers in this clip are 50th Yokozuna Sadanoyama (handing Bond his ticket), 48th Yokozuna Taiho (in the background while Bond gets his ticket), 53rd Yokozuna Kotozakura (in the actual bout on the left, I believe, though he was likely Komusubi or Sekiwake when the film was being made), and Komusubi Fujinishiki (in the bout on the right).  Enjoy".

• Like 2

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:09, sumojoann said:

This video is more modern.  One of the comments said it's circa 1960 and featured Taiho and was probably an exhibition.

The tour of the Soviet Union took place in 1965. Apparently Taiho tried unsuccessfully to locate his father during the trip.

• Like 3