sumojoann

1940's Short Clip of Japanese Sumo Wrestling

1 hour ago, Chanko Thief said:

Does anybody know the story behind the sashes that the rikishi are wearing at the beginning of the video? I’ve never seen such garments worn by sumo wrestlers before....

Well, there's a clip from this film about 14 posts back ...

36 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Well, there's a clip from this film about 14 posts back ...

Right, my question is regarding this clip. I have never seen sashes in sumo before and would like to know the story behind this (if any).

1 minute ago, Chanko Thief said:

Right, my question is regarding this clip. I have never seen sashes in sumo before and would like to know the story behind this (if any).

I'm no expert (not even a novice!) but it looks like one of those cheesy "exotic locale" films of the early 20th century.  One of the participants can't stop mugging for the camera, the sumo is mostly shokkiri level, etc.  The participants look athletic enough to be rikishi, though, and they have nice kesho mawashi.

30 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I'm no expert (not even a novice!) but it looks like one of those cheesy "exotic locale" films of the early 20th century.  One of the participants can't stop mugging for the camera, the sumo is mostly shokkiri level, etc.  The participants look athletic enough to be rikishi, though, and they have nice kesho mawashi.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking because it definitely has that vibe to it, but I wasn’t sure if the sashes were based on some historical ceremonial garb that has since phased out of sumo. I can’t find anything online about them, so it must be strictly for the movie. Thank you for your input.

2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

https://www.huntleyarchives.com/results.asp?txtkeys1=sumo

You are correct about those silent films from the 1900's!!  At the very top of these videos, a website is listed (www.huntleyarchives.com).  I Googled it & came up with the above (see link).  I did a search for "sumo" and got 15 responses.  These films were filmed in a studio mocked up to appear like a Japanese scene.  The Youtube videos that I posted are not on the list of 15, so I did a search on the site using one of the film #'s which was # 665.  This film came up as a special order.  The company scans it to order and there's a "technical fee" that starts at GBP250.00.  In the synopsis, the wrestling is described as "sumo style". 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Chanko Thief said:

Does anybody know the story behind the sashes that the rikishi are wearing at the beginning of the video? I’ve never seen such garments worn by sumo wrestlers before....

Since this is just a film that was shot in a studio mocked up to look like a Japanese scene, those sashes undoubtedly have no meaning in the real world.  In the film, they might even have had the wrestler's name on them!

• Thanks 1

Here's some fascinating footage from the 1940s.  Part of it features Azumafuji, the 40th Yokozuna (Oct 28, 1921- July 31, 1973).  It consists of lots of training, both indoors and outdoors in front of the general  public. 

• Like 3

My browser won't let me watch this.  It was uploaded by the same person that uploaded the previous footage (see above post).  It looks interesting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sumojoann said:

My browser won't let me watch this.  It was uploaded by the same person that uploaded the previous footage (see above post).  It looks interesting!

That's this program

On 22/06/2020 at 15:38, Akinomaki said:

on the same channel

On 05/05/2015 at 02:10, Akinomaki said:
On 04/05/2015 at 09:17, Akinomaki said:

NHK sumo program about the life of (weakest ever? 24-27-25) yokozuna Maedayama

As Takasago-oyakata he raised Takamiyama, the first foreigner in makuuchi

http://datazoo.jp/tv/%E3%81%97%E3%81%93%E3%81%8F8/853568

Definitely fit to be the worst ever as a yokozuna

That was a repeat from a local NHK station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yswWtEvhadc

Not exactly a "short clip", but definitely an interesting glimpse into oozumo in the 1940s.  Despite his poor showing as a Yokozuna, one has to keep in mind that Maedayama suffered a serious upper arm injury (around the time he was promoted to Juryo?).  The subsequent surgical procedure left him with a nasty, deep scar on his right arm.  Much was made of his victory as an Ozeki against Yokozuna Futabayama in January 1941.  Despite a flurry of harite, the winning technique ended up being tsuridashi lift out.  These were some of the details covered in the 42-minute documentary.  FYI ;-)