Sign in to follow this  
Terukuni

Would you throw the Zabuton???

Sometimes when some Yokozuna lose, the crowd throws so many zabutons that you “cannot see the ceiling anymore.” Other times, when some Yokozuna lose, the crowd may do nothing, or they any even jeer.

Please vote if you would throw the zabuton if this Yokozuna lost, and also it is at a specific time. Ex: If I saw Takanohana II lose in 1997, I’d probably throw the zabuton. But I definently wouldn’t throw the zabuton if I saw him lose in 2003.

If you would throw the zabuton, react with a trophy. If you would NOT throw the zabuton, react with a confused face.

Edited by Terukuni

If you saw Wajima lose to some Maegashira in 1977, would you throw the zabuton?

If yes, answer with a trophy. If no, answer with a confused face.

(I personally would throw the zabuton)

Edited by Terukuni

I have thrown a zabuton in the past, when I was in my 20s. It was fun. Not sure that I would do so now - I am in my 40s.

I throw zabuton all the time when I watch sumo, though usually at my wife to get her off the WiFi.

• Haha 10

I’ll chuck one if I get the chance. I was down near the dohyo for the dohyo-matsuri, in the boxes. I think it wouldn’t happen if the tradition involved throwing it earlier, that floor was hard and my rapidly aging body wants all the softness it can get. Still, it’s part of the experience.

16 hours ago, Terukuni said:

If you saw Wajima lose to some Maegashira in 1977, would you throw the zabuton?

I did and then I didn't.

I typically go watch in Fukuoka, and it's difficult to lob the zabuton because...I feel like I made a post about this? 

I DID!

Pretty sure I wouldn't. I'd be a guest in a foreign country and to me it'd seem disrespectful if I threw the Zabuton. If that makes any sense :O

7 hours ago, Churaumi said:

I’ll chuck one if I get the chance. I was down near the dohyo for the dohyo-matsuri, in the boxes. I think it wouldn’t happen if the tradition involved throwing it earlier, that floor was hard and my rapidly aging body wants all the softness it can get. Still, it’s part of the experience.

Part of the reason they get thrown on Yokozuna bouts is that they come at the very end of the day, and they don't need to be sat on for much longer, if at all.  I wonder if anyone has done research on whether more zabuton get thrown in the musubi-no-ichiban than other Yokozuna matches.

I think I’d do it because it seems like a fun thing to do, but at the same time I don’t really want to celebrate the underdogs because I like the yokozuna winning. Still though it’d probably be something of a once in a lifetime thing to do if it ever happened, so why not do it?

Given the opportunity, a vanishingly small chance due to the sheer unlikelihood of me: a) visiting Japan; b) managing to obtain tickets for a honbasho; and c) witnessing a yokozuna losing to a sufficiently low-ranked rikishi, I most certainly would not throw my zabuton - in disapproval of the loss. However, I'd definitely throw one to celebrate a plucky underdog defying the odds!

If someone purchased me a seat within throwing range of the dohyo, I would probably steal the zabuton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

There are moments when zabuton simply have to be thrown.

• Like 2

Would the forum oyakata reach back into their memories, and list those bouts deemed most worthy of a zabuton toss?

3 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Would the forum oyakata reach back into their memories, and list those bouts deemed most worthy of a zabuton toss?

For me, it was this one:

This happened to be my very first day at the Kokugikan, and I would have most certainly joined the throwing action if I wasn't sitting upstairs.

• Like 1

Some bouts that I definently would have thrown the zabuton for:

Asashoryu vs Hokutouriki Natsu 2004

Dejima vs Asashoryu Hatsu 2007

Kitanoumi vs Kurohimeyama Natsu 1977

Wakanosato vs Musashimaru Hatsu 2001

Akebono vs Wakanohana III Hatsu 1997

Asahifuji vs Wakahanada (Wakanohana III) Aki 1991

Onokuni vs Chiyonofuji Kyūshū 1988 (Chiyonofuji loses 53 match win streak)

Hokutoumi vs Kirishima Hatsu 1991

Kitao (Futahaguro) vs Chiyonofuji Nagoya 1986 (Yusho-kettei sen which he lost)

This list will get longer, don’t worry :)

Edited by Terukuni
  • Thanks 1