Sign in to follow this  
Katooshu

July's University Results

Posted (edited)

Kanazawa National Tournament

Winner: Delgerbayar (Nippon Sports Science University; 3rd year)

Runner-up: Mikiya Ishioka (Nihon University; 2nd year)

3rd: Taiki Nakamura (Nippon Sports Science University; 1st year) and Ibuki Sugaro (Takushoku University; 4th year)

Nittaidai's Mongolian ace pulls down Ishioka and captures his 4th personal title and his 2nd of the year after winning the Usa Tournament. Since reaching the best 4 of the 2017 student championships he's consistently been among the top competitors on the college scene, and has a claim to being the top performing at the moment. 

Nichidai's Ishioka made the best 4 of the Interhigh and Kokutai in high school for Tottori Johoku back in 2017, and this was a breakout performance at the university level. 

Delgerbayar vs Ishioka

Delgerbayar, Ishioka, Nakamura, and Sugaro

8760cccf.jpg

East Japan Weight Class Championships

This event happened over the weekend, and saw competition split into divisions ranging from a 65kg limit all the way up to open weight. Most notable are usually the results at the higher weights, where the top competitors generally compete. The top 8 finishers in each division qualify for the nationals to be held later this year.

Winning the openweight was last year's student yokozuna Yota Kano of Chuo University, beating teammate Daisuke Tanaka in the finals. Finishing 3rd were Delgerbayar and yet another Chou team mamber--Toki Nishikawa (who won a college + corporate tournament earlier this year).

The standout to me though was Nittaidai's Taiki Nakamura, who added the 135kg+ to the pair of other titles he's already won just halfway through his first year at university. Adding to that, he had 3rd place finishes at 3 other major competitions this year, and this might turn out to be the most successful freshman year going back at least a decade. Ishioka, who was runner-up in Kanazawa and beat Nakamura in that tournament to reach the finals, ended up 3rd in the up 135kg division.

Winners (more results here )

c9d93507.jpg

135kg+ and up 

Kano vs Tanaka openweight final

West Japan Weight Class Championship 

I don't have all the results for this one, but I do know that Kindai's top 2 competitors, Koshiro Tanioka and Reo Yamaguchi, both won their divisions. Tanioka (after missing a few tournaments) won openweight, while Yamaguchi won up to 135kg. Like the East Japan tournament, the top 8 in each division will compete at the nationals later this year.

Tanioka

Yamaguchi

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)

And still no sign of Toyo's 2x university banzuke topping Shiroyama Seira since May. Not in competition, not in the background at events, not in Toyo's blog.......he competed in the first 3 events of the year then disappeared. 

Edited by Katooshu

The only information I've been able to find that mentions Shiroyama Seira is the following extract from a blog about the East Japan Championships:

「満身創痍」とありますから、故障者が多かったのでしょうね。準優勝メンバーに、エースで主将の城山聖羅選手の名前がありません。11月のインカレまでには回復して欲しいです。城山は4年生で成績如何では幕下付け出しの可能性もありますから・・・・。

Sounds like he has suffered a major injury of some sort?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Ah, many thanks for that, I was wondering what happened to him. I suspected injury but was surprised when he didn't even appear in the background at events or in the Toyo blog. 

Hopefully he's back in decent form for the 3 major competitions later this year. 

Edited by Katooshu

As a follow-up, the national weight class tournament was held the other day. In the three heaviest classes we had Hitoshi Sawada (Nihon) winning openweight after finishing runner-up last year, Taiki Nakamura (Nittaidai) winning 135kg+ (his fourth title already in his first year!!), and Reo Yamaguchi of Kindai taking 135kg gold--which I think he may have done a previous year as well. The winner at 115kg is Nittaidai's Ryoma Ishizaki, who is a lookalike of his brother who is a 3rd year and one of the key members of the Nittaidai team.

Nakamura is really standing out right now on the college scene, both figuratively and physically as you can see from the photo.

e52162d8.jpg

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3