sekitori

Any thoughts about this kimarite?

Posted (edited)

I have possibly the only sumo sculpture from the famous source of ceramic figurines, Lladro. It's called "Test of Strength" and I enjoy it very much. The photo I'm including is actually my avatar. I doubt if the people responsible for producing it knew very much about sumo and probably portrayed something they thought would be of interest.  It depicts the rikshi on the left using his right hand to apparently pull down on the front of his opponent's mawashi. That caused his opponent's knee to touch the ground.  

I've been trying to figure out which kimarite could be  depicted. The closest I can come up with is shitatehineri. Any other ideas?

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 6.07.59 PM.png

Edited by sekitori

Posted (edited)
On 24/07/2019 at 14:30, Kintamayama said:

Tsukihiza

Thanks. That's probably it. But I will continue to call it shitatehineri. The reason is that I want to own a sculpture that depicts a winning technique,  not a non-contact stumble by the loser.  

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 1

On 18/08/2019 at 18:24, Kamitsuumi said:

Sabaori?

Thanks for your input. It possibly could be sabaori but I doubt it. Sabaori is usually performed with the hands at the sides of the mawashi, not the front. I'm sure the sculptor(s) had no knowledge of sumo techniques and they came up with something they thought would look interesting--nothing more. In that way, they did succeed. It does look interesting.

I  think Kintamayama had the right idea of a non-contact loss of balance by the loser but as I said before, I'll keep it at shitatehineri.

24 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I never knew that sculpture existed. Thanks for letting me know about it. I like it very much and was thinking of adding it to mine if it wasn't too expensive. Then I learned the price--over 1,110 USD. I bought mine in 1995 and it cost far, far less.  Below is a source where it can be purchased. Since I have no intention of doing so, it should be available. 

https://www.tictacarea.com/en/lladro-porcelain-figurines/sumo-fighter-lladró-porcelain-01009080?gmc_currency=4&fzcountry=US&gclid=CjwKCAjwnf7qBRAtEiwAseBO_HAj9ybvR61SiPpwC5xbebzXuZhlyL5bZR5AMvLtUZoUsJ4C_rP7qxoCwewQAvD_BwE

• Like 1