Sign in to follow this  
Jakusotsu

Kimura Konosuke

What's your take on gyoji Kimura Konosuke?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What's your take on gyoji Kimura Konosuke?

• Love him! He wields unquestionable authority and has to beome tate-gyoji as soon as possible.
    • Hate him! His constant shouting messes badly with the tachiai and he calls way too many matta.
    • Don't care either way. He more or less does his job, that's all.
    • Konosuke who?

Instead of starting a flame war, why not make a neat little poll? B-)

Posted (edited)

That are not nearly enough options to represent this fascinating charismatic nagging pedant.

- he's the salt in the chanko of pre-bout time

(sorry for abusing a German saying not necessarily used in other countries)

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 5

And you need the salt to enhance the flavour, don't you?

• Like 3

I think his matta calls on day 5 were a bit much (looked like both guys had their hands down on one) but usually I fully approve and find his angry shouting amusing.

• Like 2

Why is there no "He is a God" option? And I know where you all live.

• Haha 7

Sometimes I watch two things at the same time and has to "mute" one of two TVs.  With all my favorite rikishi out of the running, I have been muting the basho and couldn't hear the commotion (any).   But I voted for Konosuke who? option.  At my age, it is hard to remember rikishi shikona and I don't have the brain cells left to remember a kimura's name.  Three minutes after I post this, I won't remember the existence of this poll.   So, there.

Will he surpass his senior (K. Shotaro, K. Yodo, K. Tamajiro) and become 38th Kimura Shōnosuke?

I voted don't care either way, the first option being a bit overstated. 

To make tate-gyoji, Konosuke probably needs a few more years to elevate his announcements to the unintelligible mispronunciations that the current tate-gyoji gives us: Endo in seven syllables, Kakuryoohoo, that sort of thing appears to be a prerequisite for the job which straight-talking Konosuke does not have at the moment.  :)

Is the segment following dohyo-iri, before Makuuchi, occasionally seen on the streams, where the tate-gyoji shows off his calligraphy and mispronounces as many Makuuchi names as he can a tradition?  I would expect Konosuke to break this tradition with a simple welcoming announcement and a point to the scoreboard.

I voted Don't Care, but he has been a bit heavy handed with the matta this basho. 

18 hours ago, code_number3 said:

Will he surpass his senior (K. Shotaro, K. Yodo, K. Tamajiro) and become 38th Kimura Shōnosuke?

In a strange way I could almost be in favour of that - at least then he'd only get to yammer for one bout a day instead of two. He's good at his job and will make tate-gyoji in due course, but he won't be leapfrogging any of his seniors.

I'll say this for him as well, he's got style.

Spoiler

A tie pin you can wear without a tie.

viirKQDE_o.jpg

7N0ax14p_o.jpg

Takanohana isn't the only one who can wear a scarf.

2bhn542j_o.jpg

With the rest of the band. (I have absolutely no photo editing talent, sorry)

Thiyj1LC_o.jpg

• Like 5

Kimura Konosuke is my friend as I'm in favor of the rule "put both hands down before Tachi-ai".

In fact Sumo would be a tad better if the Rikishi sticked to the rule and wouldn't look for the cheap advantage of the earlier start by not putting the hands down while the opponent does.

Not putting the hands down gets out of hand step by step if the Gyojis are not consequential about the rule, and it gets to the point where neither Rikishi even attempts to appear to make an effort the get the hands down.

Here, Kimura Konosuke seems to be the last standing man for "clean Sumo" which I like!

I was a little torn between love him and indifference, but had to go with love since I find him entertaining and he seems to take enforcement of rules more seriously than other gyoji. My wife hates him with a passion, but sometimes it’s handy to have a reason not to talk to each other for a while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks to all for paving my path to enlightenment. My former self would have been furious how he almost spurred Endo into a loss on Senshuraku, but I know better now.

On 21/07/2019 at 20:13, Jakusotsu said:

Thanks to all for paving my path to enlightenment.

Bottom line, etc.. etc.. "Get yer hands down!!", as the saying goes..