Sign in to follow this  
Eikokurai

Rugby World Cup 2019 in Japan

It’s now just a little over two months until the start of the Rugby World Cup in Japan, the first time it will be held in Asia. Japan get things underway against Russia on Friday September 20th. 

Who among the sumo forum members besides me is a rugby fan and intends to watch? Unlike 2015 I’m in a decent time zone for this one so I’m looking forward to seeing as much as possible.

Edited by Eikokurai

15 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

This is something like cricket, right?

More like a thousand tachiai in quick succession.

4 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

It’s now just a little over two months until the start of the Rugby World Cup in Japan, the first time it will be held in Asia. Japan get things underway against Russia on Friday September 20th. 

Who among the sumo forum members besides me is a rugby fan and intends to watch? Unlike 2015 I’m in a decent time zone for this one so I’m looking forward to seeing as much as possible.

I'm seeing the first 2-1/2 weeks in person. I have tickets to 7 matches so far. I'll be HQ-d in Tokyo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gaijingai said:

I'm seeing the first 2-1/2 weeks in person. I have tickets to 7 matches so far. I'll be HQ-d in Tokyo.

Grrr ... I entered the lottery for the opening weekend in Sapporo, with the intention of seeing England’s opener on my birthday. Didn’t get the tickets though. Mind you, I probably couldn’t really afford it anyway.

26 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Grrr ... I entered the lottery for the opening weekend in Sapporo, with the intention of seeing England’s opener on my birthday. Didn’t get the tickets though. Mind you, I probably couldn’t really afford it anyway.

Well, the ticket site shows lots of tickets that are available for that game. Go check it out.

11 hours ago, Gaijingai said:

Well, the ticket site shows lots of tickets that are available for that game. Go check it out.

I had a feeling they were probably pulling a few marketing tricks, making it seem like there was more demand than there was to generate more sales (“Hurry while stocks last!”). Anyway, it’s not really practical for me right now to go, as much as I’d like to. I’ve got a business trip the Monday after and I was off work recently for two months so money is a bit tighter than it was when I first entered the ticket lottery. 

On 12/07/2019 at 22:41, Eikokurai said:

I had a feeling they were probably pulling a few marketing tricks, making it seem like there was more demand than there was to generate more sales (“Hurry while stocks last!”). Anyway, it’s not really practical for me right now to go, as much as I’d like to. I’ve got a business trip the Monday after and I was off work recently for two months so money is a bit tighter than it was when I first entered the ticket lottery. 

I got two of my tickets in the lottery, two more in the third general sale (had to get up at 4:30AM to be ready) and picked up three more just checking from time to time. There is small print that says to check back often as more tickets become available.

I'll be working it. Gonna be a crazy six weeks.

Inside Sport: Japan has photographers and writers at 36 of 40 games in the pool stage. I still shoot so I'll be pitchside for a bunch of those. Knockout round will be decided later but probably the same there too.

36 minutes ago, John Gunning said:

I'll be working it. Gonna be a crazy six weeks.

Inside Sport: Japan has photographers and writers at 36 of 40 games in the pool stage. I still shoot so I'll be pitchside for a bunch of those. Knockout round will be decided later but probably the same there too.

I’m a writer/editor by profession so if you want to pay me to cover the other four pool games I will happily oblige. I also did photography at uni so I’m okay with a camera. ;)