Sign in to follow this  
Ack!

Crowdsourced injury report

Since there is no such thing as an injury report in sumo, I thought we might crowdsource one here and discuss how a perceived injury may or may not be affecting a rikishi.  Anyone game?  I'll start with day 3.  List a rikishi and the the injury you saw and then others can add comments below the name/injury.

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Kaisei - right (?) elbow

Takayasu - back

You might be better off making a list of rikishi that aren't injured...

Just off the top of my head, Hakuho (arm), Tochinoshin (leg, shoulder), Kakuryu (leg, I think?), Asanoyama (concussion), Ichinojo (back), and Enho (shoulder) have all had injuries reported in the media recently.

12 minutes ago, mt fuji said:

You might be better off making a list of rikishi that aren't injured...

Just off the top of my head, Hakuho (arm), Tochinoshin (leg, shoulder), Kakuryu (leg, I think?), Asanoyama (concussion), Ichinojo (back), and Enho (shoulder) have all had injuries reported in the media recently.

Yep -- the list can be very lengthy.  Most, if not all of these injuries were pre-basho.  However, Hakuho, Kakuryu and Enho have a combined 9-0 record, so it doesn't seem to be affecting them much, at least not yet.  On the flip side winless Tochinoshin appears to be headed for kyujo/kadoban.  I'm not a good enough judge of sumo technique to break it down further.  Ichinojo's back is chronic and is likely the reason when his "strategy" seems to simply become the immovable object

I think you’d have to have two lists; one list for chronic injuries and one for short term injuries. Almost all the top guys have some condition every fan learns of sooner or later, whether it is a joint problem, diabetes, sleep apnea, etc., that affect the basic way a rikishi wrestles or trains. Then there are the bumps-and-bruises-and-sprains, which might have a short term effect or pair with a chronic condition to lay a wrestler low. I don’t actually think something like this would be a horrible idea, since knowing what is ailing a rikishi can add a layer of drama and help fans catch up on events quickly.