Sign in to follow this  
Rainoyama

Aminishiki injured/ Intai

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I heard some talk about the Kyokai not accepting his resignation. Anyone else hear that?

That's exactly what Raja Pradhan said in today's NHK colour commentary...

Under what circumstances can resignation even be denied?  Is the NSK afraid of all the money they will have to pay him in retirement benefits after his long and illustrious career?

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rhyen said:

 

Benny Lo?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

That's exactly what Raja Pradhan said in today's NHK colour commentary...

Under what circumstances can resignation even be denied?  Is the NSK afraid of all the money they will have to pay him in retirement benefits after his long and illustrious career?

Again, no one denied anything-there was some technicality. I have no idea what. Perhaps Mr. Gunning knows something and can share?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Is that something the Kyokai can even do? If someone wants out, they’re out. It’s not like a corporation or public body where someone falls on their sword after a scandal, but the bosses tell them they’re too important to be let go and throws the resignation in the bin. 

Technicality. Not refusing the resignation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Among the funniest memories about Aminishiki (for me) is how he always seemed to get into Kotooshu's head. They have a balanced H2H, which is good for Aminishiki as the other dude was basically Ozeki for all of his career.

The most telling bout of this "rivalry" was probably the zensho spoiler at Natsu 2008, where Kotooshu entered day 13 after slaying Asashoryu and Hakuho back to back. He must have expected some trickery from Aminishiki, but the latter just blew him off with a straight in-your-face tachi-ai.

[Kotooshu won the yusho by beating no less than five active or future Yokozuna plus four past, active or future Ozeki, and the brightest of all young talent at the time in Wakanoho.]

[[The yusho was bought, of course...]]

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harumafuji at 16 meets with Aminishiki:

D_p76NzU0AALwOe?format=jpg&name=small

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I heard some talk about the Kyokai not accepting his resignation. Anyone else hear that?

So the Kyokai is henkaing Aminishiki this time? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I heard some talk about the Kyokai not accepting his resignation. Anyone else hear that?

Well his intai has only been listed on the official page as of today, and the hoshitori has credited him with absences through to Day 11 (for 0-3-8) rather than ending at Day 9 (for 0-3-6) as would have been appropriate given the time his intai statement was made (before the Day 10 juryo action). In any case, there's an official statement now that his succession to the Ajigawa name was approved by the rijikai today, so that's probably been the root cause of the delay.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long needed, and I congratulate him on his decision after such a long and illustrious career. In his retirement interview (upthread) he said something about finally finding the strength to retire. So many athletes have this problem, hanging it up when it's time. Good for him for finding that strength, and good luck in this next phase of his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yesterday the intention to retire was made public, and the news mentioned that next the resignation papers will be handed in. The only thing unusual is that he/they told the media the resignation before starting the actual process.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Fukurou said:

In his retirement interview (upthread) he said something about finally finding the strength to retire. So many athletes have this problem, hanging it up when it's time. Good for him for finding that strength, and good luck in this next phase of his career. 

Which "strength to retire in time " exactly you're praising a 40-year-old for whose orthopaedically fortified body was finally busted for good escapes me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

a 40-year-old for whose orthopaedically fortified body was finally busted for good

'tis but a sumo scratch

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Yesterday the intention to retire was made public, and the news mentioned that next the resignation papers will be handed in. The only thing unusual is that he/they told the media the resignation before starting the actual process.

Yep, though oft criticised, the NSK - like any org - likes/wants/needs to know what's up with its members before the general public does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

Which "strength to retire in time " exactly you're praising a 40-year-old for whose orthopaedically fortified body was finally busted for good escapes me...

You’re misquoting there. I don’t think Fukurou was praising strength to retire in time, just the strength to retire at all. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"It's Aminishiki now called Ajigawa, thank you for your support until now, please continue to support me from now on"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ryafuji said:

You’re misquoting there. I don’t think Fukurou was praising strength to retire in time, just the strength to retire at all. 

He could have just sat out until his knee got better enough to do sumo on, but how pathetic would it have been for him to be fighting in jonidan if it took that long? And the competition down low is fierce, he may not have been able to compete at his advanced age. Better to retire with class than hang on in his situation. I’m just glad he did it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Churaumi said:

He could have just sat out until his knee got better enough to do sumo on, but how pathetic would it have been for him to be fighting in jonidan if it took that long? And the competition down low is fierce, he may not have been able to compete at his advanced age. Better to retire with class than hang on in his situation. I’m just glad he did it.

Aminishiki has never won any yusho on any division whatsoever, that would be a way to fix that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Koorifuu said:

Aminishiki has never won any yusho on any division whatsoever, that would be a way to fix that.

But why? He's no aging football star. He has no need to elongate a downward spiral career by playing with less talented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Koorifuu said:

Aminishiki has never won any yusho on any division whatsoever, that would be a way to fix that.

Would it, though? Injured sekitori falling down the banzuke the last couple years have had their hands fuller than I expected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Benihana said:

But why? He's no aging football star. He has no need to elongate a downward spiral career by playing with less talented.

I know I'm more of a lurker than anything, but for future reference - don't take me too seriously. :-P I'm aware it wouldn't be honorable at all, it'd more of a stain on his legacy than anything.

2 hours ago, Churaumi said:

Would it, though? Injured sekitori falling down the banzuke the last couple years have had their hands fuller than I expected. 

That is true. Terunofuji couldn't take jonidan, for one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 17/07/2019 at 18:04, Jakusotsu said:

Which "strength to retire in time " exactly you're praising a 40-year-old for whose orthopaedically fortified body was finally busted for good escapes me...

I apparently misquoted slightly, but this is what I was referring to when I wrote about "finally finding the strength to retire", from the upthread interview:

Quote

On his retirement  "I finally found the strength to stop. There are some regretful parts of course but I did what I had to do. I've accepted it all so as a result I don't feel any regret. I went to the hospital to get advice about my knee but I can't do the sumo I have in mind anymore so I thought it'd be unreasonable to continue"

 

Edited by Fukurou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the memories Aminishiki!

I'm still a relative newcomer to sumo (Early 2017). So when I first started watching I heard about Aminishiki trying to return to Makuuchi and how everyone was pulling for him as the beloved veteran amongst the sekitori ranks.

When I started seeing his matches, I saw why. His ability to use every trick in his book, giving every ounce of effort, all while having knees held together by chewing gum and some recycled safety pins made me also fall in love with him.

It wasn't until after seeing a few matches that I read up on his history and saw that he started sumo when I was in the 4th grade (1997!) and was the last active rikishi to give Takanohana a kinboshi.

Getting to see him return to Makuuchi, get his KK, and special prize on final day at age 39 will always be a special moment I remember. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this